Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 10:00 AM

12,436 posts, read 11,953,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post

Only Miss Massachusetts and Campanella stood up for Darwin.Score one for Charles Darwin. The newly crowned Miss USA, Alyssa Campanella, 21, of Los Angeles, who calls herself "a huge science geek," says evolution should be taught in public schools.

Miss USA contest evolves: 'Huge science geek' wins - Faith & Reason

She's right, science powaaaa
Intelligent and Hot. Now that is a winning hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 10:10 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,313,115 times
Evolution is already proven and should be taught in school. It does not necessarily exclude Creationism as God could have created evolution - but it would be virtually impossible to prove Creationism in its current form because it is faith-based.

I don't know why people automatically knock intelligence of women in pageants. Some of them aren't too bright, but some are just fine. There are MDs and PhDs who participate in pageants and I am sure they are way smarter than the haters.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:15 AM

1,019 posts, read 590,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'm quite confident I know the basics of evolution. I've done a decent amount of research into it and I'm not impressed. Can you say the same about the creationism?

Again.....there's the "I'm smarter than you" garbage.

Or maybe it's possible that we realize that given the evidence we have, a theory can certainly be developed that suggests we were created. I'm sorry if your religious views won't allow for that.
Evolution is no longer a theory but a scientific law. It describes the diversity and similarities of specieis. It is fact-based, and no serious scientist disputes it.

The fact that fact contradicts your mythology, AND you would rather hold onto your mythology and the hope for an "eternal golden parachute" it holds out to you is about YOU, not nature.

You are free to self-deceive yourself, and I support your right to do so, but don't for a moment think it can go beyond that.

As far as research "into creationism" is concerned, there is nothing to research - it is all fable, and you can't research that which has proven not to exist.

It would be like researching fire-breathing dragons, or the Jolly Green Giant.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:26 AM

58 posts, read 51,054 times
Evolution is not "law" per se, from the strict scientific definition. It can never become "law", as evolution is a pattern of change among plants and animals that happens as a result of what we know about scientific laws. For instance, we know that it takes a certain amount of time for uranium to decay to a given isotope version of uranium. That is a "law". Using this "law" we are able to determine how hold fossils are, and draw conclusions about how long ago the animal that was fossilized died. This informs our conclusions about their phenotypes and how they changed over millions of years.

Essentially, evolution is the only logical conclusion that you can come to given the laws of science. But it is not scientific "law" itself, nor will it become "law." It's an organizing principle, and it really hasn't been improved upon very much since 1859.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:33 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Evolution is no longer a theory but a scientific law. It describes the diversity and similarities of specieis. It is fact-based, and no serious scientist disputes it.
Despite gaping holes in the evidence for it and the fact that it has never been, nor can it be actually tested or falsified.
Quote:
The fact that fact contradicts your mythology, AND you would rather hold onto your mythology and the hope for an "eternal golden parachute" it holds out to you is about YOU, not nature.

You are free to self-deceive yourself, and I support your right to do so, but don't for a moment think it can go beyond that.

As far as research "into creationism" is concerned, there is nothing to research - it is all fable, and you can't research that which has proven not to exist.

It would be like researching fire-breathing dragons, or the Jolly Green Giant.
Explain how we got here. That's all I ask. Just explain the origins of life.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:36 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Beauty and brains are not mutually exclusive.

Evolution is a faith free explanation for the creation of species that fit their environment as it changes over time. It is part of any science studies. Creationism is a half a**ed attempt to blame everything on one mystical creator. I call upon god to explain things I do not have the time or inclination to research. As in ”god made it that way."

Old 06-20-2011, 10:38 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
Origin of life - Chemistry, conditions and time. AFIAC Life is inevitable when and where ever Chemistry, conditions and time are available.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:39 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Beauty and brains are not mutually exclusive.

Evolution is a faith free explanation for the creation of species that fit their environment as it changes over time. It is part of any science studies. Creationism is a half a**ed attempt to blame everything on one mystical creator. I call upon god to explain things I do not have the time or inclination to research. As in ”god made it that way."
Sorry....we just don't buy into your evolution of the gaps theory. It's got too many problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Origin of life - Chemistry, conditions and time. AFIAC Life is inevitable when and where ever Chemistry, conditions and time are available.
abiogenesis has never been observed. Life does not from non-life. Sorry. Try again. Nevermind the fact that you need to explain how the earth got to the point where you think abiogenesis took place. Explain the origins of the universe please...then we can talk about life.

Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,301,600 times
Creationism is absurd, yes, but are we really having this debate because of Miss USA?

Old 06-20-2011, 10:43 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Quote:
Despite gaping holes in the evidence for it and the fact that it has never been, nor can it be actually tested or falsified.
What is the difference between a story and a theory?

Quote:
Explain how we got here. That's all I ask. Just explain the origins of life.
Evolution is about origin of life?

Quote:
abiogenesis has never been observed. Life does not from non-life. Sorry. Try again.
What is the theory you subscribe to?

Quote:
Explain the origins of the universe please...then we can talk about life.
Matter -> Planetary System with elements and conditions -> Life -> Evolution into various forms over eons.

Your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies