Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2011, 12:17 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Give me a better one then.
2. Since the universe had a beginning, we must conclude it was caused by something. You could argue that whatever caused the universe to exist was in turn caused by something prior, but at some point you must have an ultimate beginning cause that was not caused by another cause. To suggest otherwise is to suggest an infinite regression of causes. That's impossible because without a first cause none of the rest would exist.

3. This "cause" of the universe is a creator. This is logically deduced.
Giant hole in your theory: How did the creator get there? I find it funny that you rail on about infinite regression and how there must be an ultimate beginning, but you fail to explain how the creator got there, thereby introducing an infinite regression and leaving out an ultimate beginning yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 12:18 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,825,685 times
Why do these gaps keep getting filled?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:19 PM

2,200 posts, read 4,424,276 times
Quote:
umm.....athiestic communism and 100 million dead in the 20th century?

Hello?
Dark Ages, Inquisition, etc. much? How about Islamic terrorism?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:30 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,249,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I am betting her IQ and education would blow you and most others right out of the water!
I'm betting you are right.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,140,218 times
Quote:
umm.....athiestic communism and 100 million dead in the 20th century?

Hello?
http://www.rateitall.com/t-1967-wars...tolerance.aspx

RELIGIOUS WARS | JUST SAY NO TO RELIGION (http://justsaynotoreligion.com/religious-wars/ - broken link)

Old 06-20-2011, 12:32 PM

10,545 posts, read 13,591,255 times
It was taught in public schools in the South when I was there decades ago. Maybe the rest of you are just behind.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
It was taught in public schools in the South when I was there decades ago. Maybe the rest of you are just behind.
Yeah, isn't this all kind of like saying math should be taught in public schools?

Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Giant hole in your theory: How did the creator get there? I find it funny that you rail on about infinite regression and how there must be an ultimate beginning, but you fail to explain how the creator got there, thereby introducing an infinite regression and leaving out an ultimate beginning yourself.
Are you saying that the Creator was created by somebody you don't tell us about? How did he get there and why did he allow things to change from time to time so we could see evolution? I think you are arguing something that not even a real lefty could din with.

Old 06-20-2011, 12:40 PM

14,483 posts, read 11,289,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Common sense dictates that the little old superstitious Italian widow is not what people are referring to when they point out that religious beliefs have caused more hate, murder, vengeance, torture and wars than any other motivation.
Wrong. The post to which I was responding left no room whatsoever for alternative interpretations.

Last edited by Mr. Joshua; 06-20-2011 at 01:14 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 12:44 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Yes, I believe in evolution with gaps. When I have evidence that disproves evolution, then I, along with the science community, will believe something else. Science is not dogmatic.

Science changes as new evidence comes to light. I respect scientific theory because it makes sense to me. When Newton came up with his theory of gravity, he was attempting to explain the world around him. He examined all the evidence that was available to him, and came up with a theory to explain his environment and how it works. Evolution explains something about our world and how it works. The scientific method requires that it explain the existing evidence comprehensively, that is that if some piece of evidence contradicts the theory, then the theory is wrong and must be modified.

What would that evidence look like? I see is proved false due to a lack of evidence. What would it take you to think it false?
Quote:

Religious belief doesn't follow the scientific method. If a piece of evidence contradicts the religious belief, then it is the piece of evidence that is thought to be faulty. That doesn't make sense to me, but I know many people who have modified their religious beliefs to make them all-encompassing, so that inconsistencies between the world around us and what religion tells us about that world are simply proof that God is inscrutable and all-powerful. It requires a leap of faith. And as I said earlier, the willingness and ability to make such a leap of faith is a gift. Just as an unwillingness to make such a leap is a gift. Each path with its advantages and disadvantages.
Creationism is not religion. It's possible to believe in a creator without believing in a particular deity.
Quote:

As for your snarky remarks, I never proclaimed myself to be an expert on all things. The use of "I think" in my original remarks makes it clear that I was expressing an opinion. Your attack was unwarranted. Just as your remark that I "bash" creationists, is a lie. Nothing I've said regarding creationism could be construed as "bashing".
As a general statement, evolutionists I've spoken to here and elsewhere tend to be pretty arrogant and full of themselves--proclaiming that they have it figured out and us dopey Christians or other religious people are just too dumb to ge with the program. I'm sorry if I misunderstood you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Gaping holes, you say. Okay, that is fair. You admit that it explains te majority of the changes of species, just that there are areas as-yet unexplained (so-called gaping holes). That is fair, and probably accurate. However, as science learns more, the holes will shrink even further.
I admit no such thing. The gaping holes, as I say, have to do with the very nature of the transition from one species to another.
Quote:

Life was created in the promordial soup of early earth. The science on this is relevant, and it won't be long until man creates simple life forms.
This is unproven.
Quote:

No, compare that with creationism, that doesn't HAVE gaping holes, but is, in fact, one MASSIVE HOLE of non-information. No facts whatsoever, no viable, verifieable explanations whatsoever. It is like the mass murder calling the guy with a parking ticket a bad citizen!!!!!!

There is a trillion times more info and support for evolution etc., than for creationism/Intelligent Design.
Considering you just said "Life was created in the promordial soup of early earth...and it won't be long until man creates simple life forms.", I would point out that you seem to be quite willing to accept a MASSIVE HOLE of non-information.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTrang View Post
Here is your big chance.

Lay YOUR cards on the table. What provable facts do you have? Lay it on us.
New Miss USA :"evolution should be taught in public schools."

Post #71.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psulions2007 View Post
Giant hole in your theory: How did the creator get there?

I find it funny that you rail on about infinite regression and how there must be an ultimate beginning, but you fail to explain how the creator got there, thereby introducing an infinite regression and leaving out an ultimate beginning yourself.

Logically, there had to be a creator that was not created -- one that is eternal. You got a better explanation? The only other one I see is an eternal universe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies