Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 05:44 AM

2,095 posts, read 2,583,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
I never brought up rural areas. You on the other hand have brought up race. Why do you hate minorities so much?
Savoir

It is obvious you have some issues with certain groups of people. Just stop the hate man.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:13 AM

1,461 posts, read 1,530,328 times
Looking at eastern Colorado its interesting: it is mostly white, votes almost always for the GOP, the farmers get all kinds of govt. handouts from farming to water and the old timers got there by way of a govt. handout: homesteading. The govt. gave them the land if they would build a house and live there for 2 years.

Old 06-21-2011, 07:26 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
Yes I did. I posted a map but it was removed by someone. Here's another nice map of diabetes and obesity rates. Poorly educamacated, short lifespan, food stamps, and fat, in other words, talk radio fans. More red country.

As someone stated earlier, you guys will probably blame minorities for this.

1. low educational achievement

2. short life expectancy

3. lots of food stamps (low income)

4. ??? diabetes

Are you going to continue modifying the original list each time you're proven wrong?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,402,642 times
Quote:
I didn't mention race, I mentioned political affiliation. You are not the first conservative that has tried to make this thread about race. Why are conservatives always trying to race bait?

If you feel the need to poke fun at Black people no one is stopping you. It hasn't stopped other conservatives. Freedom of speech.

You make your list of alleged red county characteristics based on low educational achievement, short life expectancy, food stamp use and now incidence of diabetes then claim others are race baiting?

Were you unable to find maps that scored Red Lobster Restaurants per square mile and per capita consumption of Hennessey?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:54 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,431,930 times
Quote:
The maps are of county specific.

Black people voted overwhelming for McCain?
You really can't be this dense. You do realize Black people are disproportinately located in the Deep South and the Deep South goes convincely for the GOP year in and year out. The two are mutually exclusive.

The risk of making racial flame threads is that the data can blowback in your face resulting in you getting burned.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:16 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,902,805 times
Its not just food stamps but loking at where the federal dollars goes overall .Thatis the reason so mnay blue states rely o federal dollars. Even clinton has said that 80% of governamnt funding to poverety ( all sources;not just food stamps) goes to urban areas that have 205 of poverty. That is w3hy blure states want more and more from the federal pie ;instead of keeping their dollars at home by paying for what they get.One needs to lo at federal dollars sent verus federal dollars received.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:22 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,333 times
So... correlation equals causation? Also, how representative is the education map? I'd imagine that only a very small percentage of students receive less than 9 years of education in most places. Perhaps average test scores would be more representative.

I get it, you're trying to imply that Republicans are stupid. But, I'm certain that you could prove the opposite if you cherrypicked different data.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
Quote:
Originally posted by newhandle
Looking at eastern Colorado its interesting: it is mostly white, votes almost always for the GOP, the farmers get all kinds of govt. handouts from farming to water and the old timers got there by way of a govt. handout: homesteading. The govt. gave them the land if they would build a house and live there for 2 years.
Very true. Without the homestead act that the Republicans (ironically) passed in 1862 the plains would have taken a LOT longer to settle. They might even still be frontier to some degree. But that was back when the Republicans had a completely different set of values. I could have voted for them in the 1860s.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:35 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,486,084 times
I don't think these county maps make much sense, really. Okay, New England is mostly blue. It's also the most progressive part of the country with some of the highest incomes. But Wayne County, Michigan (Detroit) is also blue.

On the other side of the coin, Ottawa and Kent counties, (Grand Rapids/Holland, MI) have been solidly red since the Civil War. they are middle class, made up of prosperous farms and they have a well educated population. But Eastern Kentucky is also red--the poorest, least educated part of the country.

Just an observation. So I take these kinds of threads with a grain of salt.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:56 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,011 times
The elitism in this thread is astounding.

I think that it's worth mentioning that there are just 11 states with over 80% high school graduation rates: Iowa, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Utah, Vermont, Wisconsin and Wyoming. Most of these are solidly red states.

Looking at the percentage of residents with college degrees, many of these same red states hold rates close to the more educated blue states. North Dakota has the second-highest rate in the country and several other red states are on par with the bluest Northeastern states.

Interactive Map: Proportion of Adults, 25 to 34, With College Degrees - Leadership & Governance - The Chronicle of Higher Education

The problem has nothing to do with red state/blue state. It has to do with the poverty problems that plague the south. The following maps define exactly where food stamps are being used.

Food Stamp Usage Across the Country - Interactive Map - NYTimes.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies