Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2012, 10:37 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,713,309 times

Advertisements

Score one for freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 10:45 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,510,679 times
The sale of cigaretts should have been banned years ago.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:48 AM

52,821 posts, read 34,710,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
because prohibition has always worked so well in the past.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:00 AM

9,143 posts, read 5,820,355 times
Quote:
What else would you like to see banned?
I bet you have a long list.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:49 AM

15,145 posts, read 8,677,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecypher5413 View Post
LOL, what the h*ll are you smoking???

I guess the 212,000 hits I got on Google Images for "lungs of a smoker" are all just propaganda with no basis in fact, and it was just poor Photoshopping that caused each one to look like some color other than PINK.

And lung cancer, emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and COPD cases caused by smoking are all big, fat LIES perpetrated by doctors and Big Pharma trying to get into your wallet.

Holy Cow, the disconnect from reality is breathtaking -- just like your coffin nails.
This is a classic example of someone who has accepted a story as fact, and no amount of evidence or argument will pry them away from their belief. This person believes I'm a nut ... while the reality is they are brain dead clueless to the facts.

To answer this person's rhetorical question ... yes, all of the 212,000 hits and pictures of "smoker's lungs" is pure nonsense. And if there were similar numbers of pictures of Unicorns and Tooth Fairies, that too would be pure nonsense. Anyone who thinks like this is not actually thinking at all. I would suggest this person type into Google ... "Santa Claus". I got 75,600,000 hits. 75 Million ... not 212,000. Does this 75 Million hits prove that Santa Claus is real? Or does it mean that there may be a Billion children that believe Santa is real, and it's a quite popular topic?

The reality is, and this is a fact, that you can take a person who has smoked for 30 years, and a person who has never smoked, extract their lungs and even the lung surgeon would not be able to tell which lung came from the smoker, without chemically analyzing the lung tissue, and that fact is irrespective of how many "pictures" exist claiming the contrary.

Bombarded with propaganda like this, people will believe anything, and generally, the more willing and susceptible a person is to accept stories and pictures without critical thinking, the less likely you can reason with them afterward. Nevertheless, it really is an idiotic thing to believe that someone could actually continue living with these ugly, disfigured, tarry black lungs.

Rational thought must be totally abandoned to believe such nonsense. The fact is, lungs filter the air we breathe from the inside ... air goes in, and air comes out. If a person were breathing in enough toxin and sludge for it to exude through from the inside of the lung to the outside surface tissue and form this blackness on the outside of the lung, they would suffocate long before that could ever happen. There is no way anyone could survive long enough for toxic residue and tar to bleed through the fairly thick tissue of the lung, forming this black gunk on the outside of them. It is brain dead nonsense, and just shows how easy it is to convince people to believe whatever you want them to believe. Just keep repeating the same story long enough ... and pictures really help ... and you can convince them of virtually anything.

Santa Claus is more believable, given the number of him we see in shopping malls at Christmas time But hopefully, there aren't too many of us left that still send our wish lists to the North Pole.

Old 08-24-2012, 12:29 PM

15,145 posts, read 8,677,254 times
Here are two articles that people should read, and understand how badly they've been lied to about smoking.

I have come to the conclusion, given the mountain of empirical and anecdotal evidence that shows just how much disregard the government actually demonstrates for the health and welfare of the citizenry, that any time government becomes so adamant about a certain behavior being "unhealthy" ... I am forced to to consider that to be pure pretense, with an underlying agenda as the true goal.

Smoking does not cause lung cancer.... - Discussion - Lung Cancer Survivors Support Community - Inspire

Smoking Helps Protect Against Lung Cancer -- Health & Wellness -- Sott.net

As George Orwell said .. "In a world of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act".

Old 08-24-2012, 12:43 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,013,926 times
Quote:

Old 08-24-2012, 03:28 PM

628 posts, read 2,072,952 times
Truth hurts!

Old 08-24-2012, 04:03 PM

5,653 posts, read 5,160,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It has absolutely nothing to do with this forum, and everything to do with social re-engineering. The very first Surgeon General's warning concerning cigarettes came out in 1966, and there has been a total of six prior warnings. Each of those prior warnings accurately described the risks involved. This warning flat out lies to the consumer, stating that they WILL die from a fatal lung disease if they use this product. The reality is that smoking substantially increases the risk of contracting a fatal lung disease, but there is no certainty.

Everyone reacts differently when using tobacco. Which is why statistics are used in the first place. The vast majority of tobacco users do not react well, many resulting in fatalities. However, there are a small minority of tobacco users where tobacco does not have a long-term harmful effect.
I read them as saying "Smoking causes Cancer" which is true, it's a fact. Not everybody gets cancer from smoking but that doesn't change the stated fact which is correct. It's like Asbestos causes Mesothelioma which is a fact. Not everyone exposed to asbestos gets it but it is still caused by asbestos and is therefore true.

They don't say what the chances of you getting cancer are, they don't say you'll definitely get it, they just say that the product you are purchasing causes it.

Old 08-24-2012, 04:56 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,510,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
What else would you like to see banned?
I bet you have a long list.
Whatever someone else does that has the liklihood of imparing my health and causing me harm. That's where I draw the line. I should be able to shoot such persons if they come within range of me. No different than I should be able to shoot a home intruder/rapist/burglar.

Those of you who smoke are addicts who not only **** up your own lives, cause the nation billions of dollars a year in unnecessary health care costs, and cause the unnecessary illness to millions of unsuspecting persons ... should be sent to re-hab so that you're cured.

Yep. That's what I think.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies