Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2011, 03:10 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Hmmm, I have a truck (used to use it for work, but retired now) so I'm a redneck. Also, I have a Prius, so I am by definition, not a redneck, and I bought it for very little money, so the gas savings really are "worth it", for me. . . . .so I guess either I do not exist, or I do not fit into anyone's predetermined categories. . . . . .I vote for "I don't exist". . . . . ..
New category. If you have a prius, it does not matter what else that you have...you are not a redneck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
I drive a Hyundai Sante Fe. Got tired of cars that sit low to the ground and don't provide an adequate view when pulling out into traffic. I guess that says I am a frugal person who values my life.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,947,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I don't even have a car but if I did it'd probably right now be some econobox with decent gas mileage that says, "I'm a college student that can't afford anything nice or that guzzles gas!"
If you don't have a car in the south, the presumption is that you are too poor. If you don't have one in a major city, the presumption is that you are sophisticated.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I drive big vehicles to **** off the left. I've got four and can afford gas at whatever price it gets to.

Stupidest topic of the day (so far).

well i guess this proves the op right

Old 06-24-2011, 03:17 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,742,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
I am sure that some people will say that I am not trying to make a statement...I bought for XY&Z reasons. Well here is my opinion.

Truck - A person that does not use a truck for business purposes is trying to say...that she is a redneck and proud of it. Message received.

Luxury Foreign CAr , BMW 7 series etc. - They want everyone to know that they have money, whether they actually have money or not.

Prius - the main statement is I am not a Redneck. They could also be saying I am environmentally conscious. They are not saying that I am practical, because despite the savings in gas you still have to pay more for the car than you save in gas.

Subaru Outback - You are saying I am liberal, but I like to get out there are have fun, whether you actually do or not.

Honda Accord - You are saying, that I don't care about status. I am more practical.

Suburban or Mega SUV - You are telling me people that you are an idiot. It does not matter if it will fit in a parking space and only gets 8 miles to the gallon. Usually driven by women who have Penis envy.

Mustang - Corvette - Modern day muscle car - What you are trying to tell people is that you are manly or a bad ass woman. What people actually receive is that you are probably compensating for having a small wanker or the fact that you are 5'2.

Thoughts.
I don't drive any car, my statement is, I hate cars
If I had to drive a car, I would get one of those economic compact cars, with only two seats as there is no point in driving around in an almost empty 4 to 6-seat box. Same goes for engines, why have a powerful and/or fast car when you drive in the city or on highways all the time, observing the speed limit of course

Old 06-24-2011, 03:19 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,730,207 times
i drive a truck cause i need it.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:36 PM

23,864 posts, read 24,108,334 times
I haven't had time to read through the entire thread, but I plan to - it looks like a fun one. I only have a few minutes while I wolf down some lunch (at 2:15!)... so here's what we have, in the order they were bought, and why we bought them.

1998 Jeep TJ (Wrangler)
I bought this in 2003 to be used for off-roading, since my Ford Contour couldn't quite climb rocks as well as a Jeep can. In the eight years I've owned it, I've only put about 20,000 miles on it.

2002 Chevy Astro
Bought this in 2006 (a month before I got laid off LOL) because the motor in the Contour was starting to fade (160,000 miles). I chose this particular vehicle because it has to capacity to flat-tow the Jeep and it's more practical than a truck for hauling around people and/or my astronomy equipment. It was a great car to use when we drove to Cheyenne and back over a three day weekend. Five people, a dog and all the stuff we brought with us comfortably fit into it with room to spare. I love the versatility, but it's a huge money pit. I will never buy another Chevy.

2002 Lincoln Town Car
We bought this at the end of December. We traded a 2003 VW "New" Beetle plus some cash. It's an amazingly comfortable and easy to drive car, and it runs and rides like a dream. We bought it because with two teenagers, the Beetle just wasn't practical - at all. This car fits four like a limo, and can legally (but not as comfortably) fit six. The trunk is enormous - we could fit both teenagers in there!

All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with the Ford products I own or have owned, and disappointed in the GM products. I was planning on getting a Cadillac as my first "luxury" car, but my experience with the Astro changed that. I'll be looking to Ford for my vehicular needs for some time to come.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:53 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
That is a pretty unpopular reason to drive a truck.

Old 06-24-2011, 03:56 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,930,716 times
My car gets 38mpg even though it's rated 32. Thank you manual transmission

Though if I had to pick, I'd have 2 cars in my inventory. A Ford F250 with a Powerstroke and a Jetta TDI with a M/T. I hate gas (and hybrids) and want to get out of its use.

I've no statements to make. Trying to figur eme out by my car using traditional sociological techniques is kinda useless.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 06-24-2011 at 04:08 PM..

Old 06-24-2011, 03:58 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
I hear ya
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies