U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:25 PM
 
19,098 posts, read 12,221,591 times
Reputation: 10481

Advertisements

I was watching the news the other night and saw footage of the gay pride parade in New York, following the decision of the state to legalize gay marriage.

I was struck by the dress and "costumes" of many of the participants. Men were dressed like women and women were dressed like men. Gay couples were dressed in traditional bride's and groom's clothing, mimicking the role of a male and female in marriage. Then there was the componant of men dressed in women's lingerie and leather apparel.

For any gays here, I am a little confused. I would offer that if I dressed in women's lingerie or black leather S&M clothing and paraded around the streets of our city, or in our neighborhood, I might be viewed as a deviant and a pariah. I can guarantee you that such behavior would be met with scorn and derision (as it should be).

I guess I am asking- how can the gay community demand "acceptance" by the heterosexual community and presume that the gay community is no different than the rest of the society with regard to social and ethical norms? I suppose that if one is trying to promote the image of deviance, dressing in women's clothing (if a male) and parading around in lingerie and leather might be just the ticket. However, if one is seeking incorporation into the general community and universal acceptance, perhaps this is not the best method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:28 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,169,636 times
Reputation: 4828
We get it. You don't like freaks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,999 posts, read 3,884,939 times
Reputation: 2372
Nobody is demanding acceptance, they're demanding equal rights. It is their right to dress as they please and how you feel personally has no bearing on it. I think being a republican is deviant, should being a republican not be accepted?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:33 PM
 
15,723 posts, read 9,646,626 times
Reputation: 6988
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I was watching the news the other night and saw footage of the gay pride parade in New York, following the decision of the state to legalize gay marriage.

I was struck by the dress and "costumes" of many of the participants. Men were dressed like women and women were dressed like men. Gay couples were dressed in traditional bride's and groom's clothing, mimicking the role of a male and female in marriage. Then there was the componant of men dressed in women's lingerie and leather apparel.

For any gays here, I am a little confused. I would offer that if I dressed in women's lingerie or black leather S&M clothing and paraded around the streets of our city, or in our neighborhood, I might be viewed as a deviant and a pariah. I can guarantee you that such behavior would be met with scorn and derision (as it should be).

I guess I am asking- how can the gay community demand "acceptance" by the heterosexual community and presume that the gay community is no different than the rest of the society with regard to social and ethical norms? I suppose that if one is trying to promote the image of deviance, dressing in women's clothing (if a male) and parading around in lingerie and leather might be just the ticket. However, if one is seeking incorporation into the general community and universal acceptance, perhaps this is not the best method.
While Pride parades can get a bit over the top, and I don't necessarily agree with everything they do at them, not all of the people at them are like that. Drag is fairly common, but then, aside from forced societal views on what a man or woman should wear, who cares if a man wears a dress and heals? Women wear pants and suits and no one bats an eye.

However, I would also ask you to look at Mardi Gras. Should we all criticize heterosexuals for digusting behavior like guys trying to win beads from women, and the women flashing their boobs at the men from the rooftops and balconies? Lots of heterosexuals dress up like freaks at Mardi Gras.

Honestly, the kind of behavior you see from heterosexuals (especially men) at bars, mardi gras, frat houses, etc. makes gay pride parades look rather tame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:39 PM
 
19,098 posts, read 12,221,591 times
Reputation: 10481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
While Pride parades can get a bit over the top, and I don't necessarily agree with everything they do at them, not all of the people at them are like that. Drag is fairly common, but then, aside from forced societal views on what a man or woman should wear, who cares if a man wears a dress and heals? Women wear pants and suits and no one bats an eye.

However, I would also ask you to look at Mardi Gras. Should we all criticize heterosexuals for digusting behavior like guys trying to win beads from women, and the women flashing their boobs at the men from the rooftops and balconies? Lots of heterosexuals dress up like freaks at Mardi Gras.

Honestly, the kind of behavior you see from heterosexuals (especially men) at bars, mardi gras, frat houses, etc. makes gay pride parades look rather tame.

Sure- that is okay by me. However, do not demand equal treatment in professional activities or buisness, as there is a level of conduct that must be maintained inside and outside of the workplace. If one wants to parade around as a deviant- that is fine. These activities will be deemed unacceptable by a majority of the population and preclude involvement in the norms of society.

Suppose you go to your primary care doc to discuss some matters, which can be personal, having just witnessed him parading around in the city streets in a bra, panties, garter belts, and heels. Now how do you suppose you would feel in the "care" of a person who just expressed behavior that would be considered a manifestation of mental instability? Suppose this person was your child's teacher? How about your US senator? Would you like such a person manning the switch for nuclear launch sites?

Deviant behavior will garner the label of "deviant" by the general population and is simply an antagonistic effort to demand "acceptance" while at the same time making that request impossible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 PM
 
Location: Rational World Park
4,999 posts, read 3,884,939 times
Reputation: 2372
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Sure- that is okay by me. However, do not demand equal treatment in professional activities or buisness, as there is a level of conduct that must be maintained inside and outside of the workplace. If one wants to parade around as a deviant- that is fine. These activities will be deemed unacceptable by a majority of the population and preclude involvement in the norms of society.

Suppose you go to your primary care doc to discuss some matters, which can be personal, having just witnessed him parading around in the city streets in a bra, panties, garter belts, and heels. Now how do you suppose you would feel in the "care" of a person who just expressed behavior that would be considered a manifestation of mental instability? Suppose this person was your child's teacher? How about your US senator? Would you like such a person manning the switch for nuclear launch sites?

Deviant behavior will garner the label of "deviant" by the general population and is simply an antagonistic effort to demand "acceptance" while at the same time making that request impossible.
You're free to choose another Doc. Straight folk parade around cheating on their spouses, tweet pics of their junk to random people, play airport footsie, sneak away to appalachain trail etc. Which is worst exactly? Isn't all that behavior deviant? Or is it? Isn't deviance an individual prospective? Let me ask you this, if the worlds best male Dr. wore a dress on Saturday nights but could cure your cancer, would you leave him? I don't get your premise. It's as if you want gay people specifically to act as you would in every aspect of life. That's not freedom and because you consider something deviant doesn't make it deviant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:18 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,431,208 times
Reputation: 6958
If they don't dress that way to work or to job interviews then there isn't a problem. Get it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I was watching the news the other night and saw footage of the gay pride parade in New York, following the decision of the state to legalize gay marriage.

I was struck by the dress and "costumes" of many of the participants. Men were dressed like women and women were dressed like men. Gay couples were dressed in traditional bride's and groom's clothing, mimicking the role of a male and female in marriage. Then there was the componant of men dressed in women's lingerie and leather apparel.

For any gays here, I am a little confused. I would offer that if I dressed in women's lingerie or black leather S&M clothing and paraded around the streets of our city, or in our neighborhood, I might be viewed as a deviant and a pariah. I can guarantee you that such behavior would be met with scorn and derision (as it should be).

I guess I am asking- how can the gay community demand "acceptance" by the heterosexual community and presume that the gay community is no different than the rest of the society with regard to social and ethical norms? I suppose that if one is trying to promote the image of deviance, dressing in women's clothing (if a male) and parading around in lingerie and leather might be just the ticket. However, if one is seeking incorporation into the general community and universal acceptance, perhaps this is not the best method.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:20 PM
 
25,165 posts, read 48,431,208 times
Reputation: 6958

YouTube - ‪2010 UT axe undie run‬‏

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Honestly, the kind of behavior you see from heterosexuals (especially men) at bars, mardi gras, frat houses, etc. makes gay pride parades look rather tame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:25 PM
 
2,173 posts, read 2,526,497 times
Reputation: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Nobody is demanding acceptance, they're demanding equal rights. It is their right to dress as they please and how you feel personally has no bearing on it. I think being a republican is deviant, should being a republican not be accepted?
They have equal rights. They always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-27-2011, 07:31 PM
 
14,920 posts, read 11,169,636 times
Reputation: 4828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGACK View Post
They have equal rights. They always have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top