Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:38 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
Of the 18 enumerated powers given to congress, 8 of them involve national defense. The others involve taxes, coining and borrowing money, trade, citizenship, patents, tribunals, and a post office. I would assume the most costly enumerated powers relate to a national defense.
But, clearly, not just defense.

Quote:
It was a simple example. You could assume that only half of the country pays taxes and say that $200/person/year would equal $30-billion dollars to fund the government. You could make any sort of assumption that you wish, but my point is that the Federal government is larger than is necessary and larger than was intended (and to ground that statement with some simple facts). Income taxes are not necessary, because a large government is not necessary.
I'm not making an assumption, you're with your overly simple math.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 01:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJefferson View Post
They also have Detroit and the American auto industry. These corporations are still paying a federal corporate tax.
Yea, the same federal corporate tax that their competitors in this country have to pay. So that's no excuse.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,305,994 times
Quote:
Strikes me as the fastest way to create jobs. Millions of jobs overnight.

Thoughts?
Sure!!!! No income taxes either!!!! That will stimulate the economy too!!!!

Great idea!!!

Then when the military is looking for their paychecks, we can tell them that we decided they weren't worth funding anymore....

Old 06-29-2011, 01:46 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,088,423 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Ok, I'm a company and I don't have to pay any taxes. Great. But not only do I not have any taxes, I don't have any customers so what does not having to pay taxes on non-existent profits do for me? Right, I'll just hire more folks to do the work that I don't have. Brilliant, exceedingly brilliant.!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:03 PM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
But, clearly, not just defense.
I never claimed that it was.

Quote:
I'm not making an assumption, you're with your overly simple math.
Please elaborate on what sort of math you'd like me to do; I'm pretty good at it. I used simple math because I felt that it was adequate to make my point that a minimalist government could be funded with relatively small tax contributions from citizens. The $30-billion was merely an easy multiple, but since similarly sized first-world nations like Australia can pay for their defense with $20-billion, perhaps the United States could as well. Maybe the remaining $10-billion could fund the remainder of government. The post office could be self-funded, and the rest of the powers granted to the Federal government don't seem extraordinarily expensive to wield.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Ok, I'm a company and I don't have to pay any taxes. Great. But not only do I not have any taxes, I don't have any customers so what does not having to pay taxes on non-existent profits do for me? Right, I'll just hire more folks to do the work that I don't have. Brilliant, exceedingly brilliant.!
Eh... please elaborate how no taxes equals no customers. Do you mean big corporations who rely on government contracts have no customers?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:11 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,847,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flash3780 View Post
I never claimed that it was.

Please elaborate on what sort of math you'd like me to do; I'm pretty good at it. I used simple math because I felt that it was adequate to make my point that a minimalist government could be funded with relatively small tax contributions from citizens. The $30-billion was merely an easy multiple, but since similarly sized first-world nations like Australia can pay for their defense with $20-billion, perhaps the United States could as well. Maybe the remaining $10-billion could fund the remainder of government. The post office could be self-funded, and the rest of the powers granted to the Federal government don't seem extraordinarily expensive to wield.
It would be sensible to not claim that. As for your math, let me ask you, what did you start with, to calculate the annual budget?

Old 06-29-2011, 02:18 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,688,591 times
Quote:

Thoughts?

I perfer 0% income tax on individuals is the fastest ways for WE THE PEOPLE to create jobs, capital, investiment and spending!!

Corporations are doing what they want because they can and are not interested in creating jobs with the tax rate at 0% because they are interested in a bottom line. They dont care about jobs and the government doesnt care about jobs they only care when it costs them money and or votes!!
Big Government types like OBAMA and the progressives like unemployment it makes people more dependent on government.
Corporations dont like to many jobs because the prices of employees go up, benefits and cut into their profits.
Which is why CORPORATIONS are different then small businesses and mom and pop companies who should be getting the TAX BREAKS over corporate globalist idiots who see every employee as a COST NUMBER!!

Old 06-29-2011, 02:22 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,768,953 times
Quote:

Thoughts?
Corporate taxes should be eliminated since they are paid by consumers.

Corporate taxes just make politicians look good. Makes them look like they want to spare the taxpayers, but in the end, consumers pay all corporate taxes.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM

Quote:
It would be sensible to not claim that. As for your math, let me ask you, what did you start with, to calculate the annual budget?
I thought that I was clear. I started with approximately what the Australians pay for their national defense, since I believe that of the powers granted to the Federal government in the Constitution (listed earlier), national defense is a likely the most expensive. I then picked an easy multiple of the population of the United States, $100/person, and arrived at $30-billion dollars. If $20-billion is sufficient to run a military, perhaps $10-billion is sufficient to manage the coining of money, collecting taxes, negotiating treaties, managing interstate trade, and the like. The postal service can be paid for with user fees, and roads can be paid for with tolls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies