Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,432,537 times

Advertisements

Using that logic the rich shouldn't pay any taxes and they should get everything free
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2011, 02:34 PM

4,696 posts, read 5,826,279 times
Taxing the rich won't help the middle class. Cutting handouts for the poor will help the middle class. All the massive spending on social programs causes inflation which hurts the middle class. Plus the middle class should deeply resent the poor because they get to eat for free, get free heating, and free housing, etc.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:35 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,988,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin View Post
In what ways should the rich and corporate america contribute?
Higher pay

Old 07-01-2011, 02:38 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,393,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
Taxing the rich won't help the middle class. Cutting handouts for the poor will help the middle class. All the massive spending on social programs causes inflation which hurts the middle class. Plus the middle class should deeply resent the poor because they get to eat for free, get free heating, and free housing, etc.
And I'm sure you would trade places with a poor person yourself.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:39 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,143,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walidm View Post
Hmm...I see. It is an asset. I was wrong; however, I see you've also proven you're wrong. Which isn't surprising....lol
Its an asset to the BUYER of the stock, but we arent discussing the BUYER, we're discussing the seller, i.e. the corporation. You cant even keep the conversation straight.. haha
Quote:
It's owners equity. Liabilities are separate on the balance sheet.
And when the corporation wants to regain that equity, what do they need to do? REBUY IT.. And how do you rebuy it if not to take cash from your assets?
Quote:
It's reported under Stockholders Equity and when added together with liabilities equals the companies total assets...
"What is important to know is that no transaction will upset the fundamental accounting equation of assets = liabilities + owners' equity."Your Source"
And again, if the corporation wants to regain that stock, just like they do bonds, how do they do so that doesnt offset their assets? THEY CANT.. Return to elementary accounting..
Quote:
If the company's liabilities are greater than its assets, your EQUITY INVESTMENT (stock) may be worthless.
No **** shirlock home, YOUR equity may be worthless, but one persons assets (i.e. you holding stock) is someone elses liabilities, i.e THE CORPOATION..

All you did was prove you cant follow along with the discussion taking place..

Old 07-01-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
That's just a threat.

"Tax us more, and we'll pass it on to the consumers"

"Tax us more, and we'll leave the state or nation!"

In supposedly high-tax California, 80 billionaries live here. Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, and Mark Zuckerberg are just going to up and leave if their taxes go up 5 percent.
You need to educate yourself on those billionaires, because they are only billionaires on the value of their stock, which ISNT TAXED, until they sell..

Old 07-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post
Why don't we apply that logic to any expense a business owner has? What's to stop him from raising prices so he can take a first class cruise? What's to stop him from raising prices for anything?
We do.. thats why business expenses are a tax write off. What you described isnt a write off, and would be taxed as a profit.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:55 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Why don't we apply that logic to any expense a business owner has? What's to stop him from raising prices so he can take a first class cruise? What's to stop him from raising prices for anything?

LOL! really? this is where you are going?

lets count the ways this logic is flawed.
1. "what is to stop him"? you mean we have a right to stop a company from charging whatever they want?
2. if it is a corporation, each business has its own rules, created by their board and ratified by the stock holders that determine what its officers can do
3. That logic is applied to any and every expense a business owner has.

companies ALL (at least the good ones that stay in business) ALWAYS sell their product for MORE than the total amount of their operating expenses. It’s called good business.

Old 07-01-2011, 02:58 PM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
That's just a threat.

"Tax us more, and we'll pass it on to the consumers"

"Tax us more, and we'll leave the state or nation!"

In supposedly high-tax California, 80 billionaries live here. Yeah, I'm sure Steve Jobs, Larry Ellison, and Mark Zuckerberg are just going to up and leave if their taxes go up 5 percent.

you seem smart.... how about you explain how a business is taxed (or taxed more) yet does not pass that expense along to customers?

Old 07-01-2011, 04:00 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newonecoming2 View Post
Higher pay
And if that causes Wage Inflation and prices rise, you'll be okay with that, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrysda View Post
DEMOCRAT CLINTON was in very deep economic trouble until the REPUBLICANS under the leadership of Newt Gingrich bright Clinton kicking and screaming to the table and forced him to "CUT SPENDING" and balance the budget. You need a history lesson!
Funny how people forget.

Quote:
Why don't we apply that logic?

Well, I don't know about the "we" part, but the reason I don't apply your ridiculously stupid logic is because of Price Elasticity.

Raising prices neither guarantees an increase in revenues nor an increase in profits.

In fact, raising prices can result in a decrease of both revenues and profits.

You might want to educate yourself a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies