Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:43 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Haha. You're comparing apples to cadillacs.

E-harmony is a for profit business that provides a service to the public. The Unites States has a law that such businesses cannot discriminate and deny service based on certain things - race, sex, religion, national origin.

Various state have similar laws except that they have added sexual orientation. New Jersey is one such state. E-harmony violated that law and hence was sued - just as gay.com, a gay dating for-profit business, would be sued if it didn't allow heterosexuals to use the site or a gay-owned grocery store that tired to enforce a no-Christian policy would be sued.

This has nothing to do with separation of church and state, religious marriages within churches, and allowing gay couples to contract civil marriages.

edit: Funny enough, the man who defended e-harmony in court is the same man who argued against prop 8 (for gay marriage) in California - former Republican soliceter general Ted Olsen.
I find it telling they didn't target Muslim dominated sites that forbid homosexuals.

Given the behavior of the homosexuals, I don't trust any "exemption" for churches to last long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 07:46 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Irrelevant when the issue is whether or not homosexuals are trying to impose their beliefs on others.
Name one belief that homosexuals are trying to impose on you. Could it be...

They are equal to you?
They should have all the rights you do?
Their sexuality is normal for them?

Actually, I couldn't come up with much more. As a gay person, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything other than what I wrote above and each of those beliefs are irrefutable. I don't see any of them as an imposition because they don't impact your life one bit.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,101 times
Quote:
I find it telling they didn't target Muslim dominated sites that forbid homosexuals.

Given the behavior of the homosexuals, I don't trust any "exemption" for churches to last long.
If a Muslim-run for profit business that serves the public has a no gay policy (or a no Christian policy or a no Jew policy or a no Irish policy or a no Hispanic policy), then it should be sued.

If you know of one, please let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhouse2001 View Post
Name one belief that homosexuals are trying to impose on you. Could it be...

They are equal to you?
They should have all the rights you do?
Their sexuality is normal for them?

Actually, I couldn't come up with much more. As a gay person, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything other than what I wrote above and each of those beliefs are irrefutable. I don't see any of them as an imposition because they don't impact your life one bit.
They're trying to legislate and litigate acceptance of a perversion. A site doesn't want homosexual ads? Don't use it. A church doesn't want homosexuals? Don't use it either. But don't attempt to force acceptance.

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Quote:
If you're defending this, you're as juvenile as the criminals who did it. Impersonating people, deliberately deceiving people, etc., is not acceptable. The Baptists never encouraged hate of homosexuals, merely rejection of what they view as sinful.
A convenient argument to hide behind when it's quite clear they really do hate homosexuals. If they didn't, they wouldn't have gone to such lengths to make their lives miserable or fighting to take away whatever rights they want to officially reclaim.

I would say the Baptists are guilty of impersonating a religion. If it really was a religion, it wouldn't be involved in politics, but, hey, they don't care! Morals? Ethics? Ha, they don't have any!

Old 06-29-2011, 07:49 PM

Quote:
They're trying to legislate and litigate acceptance of a perversion. A site doesn't want homosexual ads? Don't use it. A church doesn't want homosexuals? Don't use it either. But don't attempt to force acceptance.
When did this become a "Repeal the Civil Rights Act of 1964" thread?

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,097,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
And in response, Southern Baptists pulled a prank on gays by supporting laws taking away their civil rights, ridiculing and scorning them, and condemning them to an eternity burning it hell.

In the minds of a Neo Prog; Disagreement = Hate. Why are you so desperate for our approval? I do not care if you approve of my lifestyle.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,663,920 times
Quote:
Irrelevant when the issue is whether or not homosexuals are trying to impose their beliefs on others.
No, it's very relevant. There are laws in many states that say you can't discriminate based on sexual orientation. E-Harmony was doing that, exactly. I don't think it was an important case, but the lawsuit was completely legitimate.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
In the minds of a Neo Prog; Disagreement = Hate. Why are you so desperate for our approval? I do not care if you approve of my lifestyle.
I don't want your approval. I just don't want you legislating away my civil rights. I may disapprove of your lifestyle (which I do), but I've never tried to pass a law banning you from contracting a civil marriage or serving in the military or being a school teacher, etc, etc, etc. That's when disapproval becomes hate.

Old 06-29-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, it's very relevant. There are laws in many states that say you can't discriminate based on sexual orientation. E-Harmony was doing that, exactly. I don't think it was an important case, but the lawsuit was completely legitimate.
You're really just proving my point. Homosexuals got laws passed forcing themselves on others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies