Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Poll Removed
0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 02:21 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,154,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
Would you say the same thing if they'd come back with "guilty?"

It's a fair question and in all honesty, either way I would have assumed that they came to their conclusions before they started formally deliberating.

When the death sentence hangs in the balance for as severe a crime, I would hope that the jury would be fastidious and thorough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 02:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 2,552,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It's a fair question and in all honesty, either way I would have assumed that they came to their conclusions before they started formally deliberating.
I agree, but if they had come back with a "guilty" in 10 hours or less, the news would have been all about how fast they reached their verdict, with implications that the case was so rock solid that they didn't need a lot of time to debate it, their verdict. No one would have called for their arrests for not taking enough time.

But because they came back with a "not guilty" in 10 hours or less, why can't we assume the same thing going the other way? That the case was so heavily circumstantial and poorly presented that they didn't need a lot of time to debate their verdict?

That's how I think from a purely non-emotional standpoint.

Sadly, the "just 10 hours" in this case, is being turned into an excuse to call for the jury's heads, their arrests, and their blood (here and other places).

Old 07-07-2011, 02:35 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,029,700 times
Quote:
The ten hour deliberation was astounding.
Reminds me of the infamous Lizzy Borden case. They only
deliberated for 90 minutes and returned a verdict of not
guilty. 100 years later, a group of professors and lawyers
from Harvard did a mock trial, and of course more elaborate
and drawn out - but returned with the exact same ending -
having to acquit Lizzy. Why? The state did not prove their
case.

So, while you may all know "Casey did it" and we all
sing the Lizzy Borden song:
"Lizzy Borden took an axe -
gave her mother 40 whacks.
When she saw what she had done,
she gave her father forty one" -
IF YOU CAN'T PROVE IT IN A COURT OF LAW - A PERSON
WALKS FREE.

We've also all heard the saying "I'd rather have one guilty man set free, than put an innocent man to death"
or the saying goes thousand, ten - but you get the point.
THAT IS the standard by which one must decide a case
of first degree premeditated murder.

Quote:

Casey Anthony will be shunned by many as a Lizzie Borden or Typhoid Mary.
There's a book called "Parallel Lives - a social
history of Lizzie Borden" suppose to come out soon. It goes into how she really lived after trial - beyond the myths. I've always been fascinated with the LB story. Casey Anthony - not so much

Old 07-07-2011, 02:36 PM

745 posts, read 1,506,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporin View Post

Yes. I would expect any jury to take their time and thoroughly review all of the evidence before deciding on the verdict. Especially if you are leaning toward not guilty, I would go through every piece to make sure I didn't miss anything. I truly don't see how weeks of testimony was waded through in 10 hours.

Anyway, they had an interview with another juror. Seems that for most of the deliberations they were split 6-6 on the manslaughter charges, and around lunch time on Tuesday they started to shift toward the not guilty side.

Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,617,275 times
What can you do, the jury did it's job.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:07 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,578,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Its sad when our justice system show its flaws.... its still the best system around!!

My only question is why they couldnt have found her guilty of at least endangering the welfare of a child.....

She did it! We all know she did it!
And let's say Caylee did drown - you can't just dump a body anywhere you like, can you? They have some pretty stiff littering fines.
If so, I want my body buried on my property, to decay naturally.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
"BEYOND A REASONABLE DOUBT" That's the standard that must be met to convict someone of a crime (its not the same in a civil case)

The Jurors (those now talking to the media) are saying that the Prosecution DID NOT MEET that standard.
Kind of like "natural born citizen", it all depends on how it's interpreted, and what the original intent of that phrase was. 'Reasonable' has different connotations, that's why they elect jury foremans, to solve dilemma's like these. The foreman should at least be willing to come forward and tell us how they came to this conclusion.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. What strikes me is that although she wanted everyone to believe that somone else was responsible, her not reporting the child missing immediately negated her fabrication. Who gives misleading info to police when your child is missing? Aside from being a sociopathic personality, she is not very bright. She managed to dupe the law, but that was a fluke and a dream team of attorneys.
I thought her team of attorneys stunk. Baez seems like a decent guy, but was in way over his head. This was his first murder trail, and now he's catapulted into the big league, where he gets to command top dollar. Kind of like our resident in chief, he hasn't earned that ranking, he just was in the right place at the right time. Both will fall out of the high chair eventually.

Old 07-07-2011, 03:27 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,555,653 times
So the trial is done. The verdict has been rendered. The outcome can not be changed.

However, I am wondering if anyone in this sea of outraged people will use any of the energy that they have exerted to complain about Casey Anthony/Nancy Grace/Jose Baez/et al to help prevent the deaths of the numerous other child in our nation who die every year due to neglect and/or abuse?

I wonder how many of the people who are tearing their hair out over Casey Anthony look the other way and say "its not my business" when a parent/grandparent/neighbor/a boyfriend/a girlfriend/step-parent/caretaker/stranger is abusing (physically, mentally, sexually, verbally, emotionally) or neglecting a child?

Child Abuse and Neglect Fatalities 2009: Statistics and Interventions

According to government stats, over 80% of child abuse deaths are in children age 3 and younger.

Interactive Map: U.S. Rates Of Child Abuse Fatalities : NPR

Nearly 5 children die each and every day due to abuse and neglect in America

National Child Abuse Statistics | Childhelp

Old 07-07-2011, 03:51 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,907,748 times
Now people are fired up because she had her hair down in court today! BTW, what percentage of those losers outside the courthouse actually hold a job? I would bet nil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies