Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 08:26 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,054,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I like to think of Summers73 as the future of linguistics.
I am
just lost for words, linguistically speaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2011, 08:28 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I like to think of Summers73 as the future of linguistics.
Flattery will get you everywhere.

CL is not my primary research area, but I do know Ray Mooney, Dan Jurafsky, James Lester, and a host of others who have helped shape the future. Of course, Noam was nowhere to be seen at the conference I speak of, which is one of the top worldwide conferences for this area (look it up and observe the roster, you'll see what I mean). Wasn't speaking, wasn't even present. Probably too busy pleasuring himself to pictures of Mao.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,396,200 times
I am no fan of Chomsky. I don't agree with most of what he says on global politics, history, and many other subjects. However, I took an advanced writing course in college, and quite a bit of the material which the professor used quoted Chomsky on sentence construction and related topics.

The premise of this thread is very ignorant.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I am no fan of Chomsky. I don't agree with most of what he says on global politics, history, and many other subjects. However, I took an advanced writing course in college, and quite a bit of the material which the professor used quoted Chomsky on sentence construction and related topics.

The premise is how is he contributed to linguistics, not his legacy research. He's done NOTHING for the past decade, and very little for the past couple of decades. He's decaying in his ivory tower and not contributing at all to the field, likely just teaching grad students at this point.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:33 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
"Chomsky has a philosophy based on the idea that we should focus on the deep whys and that mere explanations of reality don't matter. In this, Chomsky is in complete agreement with O'Reilly. (I recognize that the previous sentence would have an extremely low probability in a probabilistic model trained on a newspaper or TV corpus.) Chomsky believes a theory of language should be simple and understandable, like a linear regression model where we know the underlying process is a straight line, and all we have to do is estimate the slope and intercept."

On Chomsky and the Two Cultures of Statistical Learning

These guys are in over their heads.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post

Personally, I think the thread has some interesting parallels.

For instance, in discussions about global warming, those who are most ardent in their belief that humans are causing distressing warming, argue that the scientists in the field are in agreement and how dare others speak against them. Only those who are “in the knowâ€, or have degrees in the matter should be speaking out and driving policy…

Appeal to authority is a huge argument point of the left on every front. Conservatives are lambasted for not loving education etc. Now we see an example of a guy speaking out of turn but in favor of leftist views and those questioning Chom are ignorant?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:36 AM

Chomsky comes from the old school CL world that says you can map a language simply by overengineering the world environment. Natural language is far too complex and has too many rules/exceptions to be modeled by one global regression model. Researchers have also shown that maintaining such a knowledge base is near impossible.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:53 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
Chomsky comes from the old school CL world that says you can map a language simply by overengineering the world environment. Natural language is far too complex and has too many rules/exceptions to be modeled by one global regression model. Researchers have also shown that maintaining such a knowledge base is near impossible.
I didn't think Chomsky "came from" the world of computational linguistics in the first place, but correct me if I'm wrong. That his ideas have found their way into CS and compiler courses is incidental, I think, to his work; that wasn't his focus.

I wouldn't be surprised if Chomsky's ideas have been superseded, that's the nature of science.

The currency of his linguistic theories really is neither here nor there, however, in a critique of his credentials for the various things he speaks and writes about. The man is highly intelligent and learned, and has had over 50 years' experience thinking and writing on matters outside of strict linguistics. This doesn't mean his ideas can't be challenged, but it takes more than just "his background is linguistics, not social structures or political theory" or low-information derisive jabs (not accusing you, summers73, of those kind of arguments).

Sounds as if you're in an interesting field.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:10 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
He's studies linguistics, but he only talks about economics, politics, and science, which he has no credentials to show that he has credibility in what he gets paid to talk about.
No offense intended but this is the most naive post I have ever come across. Seriously bro.

Linguistics is the study of the interplay of words and the forces human beings have in the whole of life. How words are employed at tools (Hitler) can influence each of the areas you mentioned.

Chomsky speaks out on all these subjects for obvious reasons as the words and the way they are used greatly influences the way human beings are trained, bought and sold.

Now...........you know. Don't fall off your chair or anything.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:22 AM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
Transnational Institute | Controlling People Through Language
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies