Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2011, 07:36 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times

Advertisements

Most recently in a whooping cough outbreak in New York, all 13 students were FULLY vaccinated!! The risks of a pertussis vaccine are very real, and very serious, and can have devastating effects on your health

Old 07-07-2011, 07:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
In 2009 there was a a pertussis outbreak in New Jersey....all 21 children had been FULLY vaccinated.....In Canada, a pertussis outbreak occured among a class of preschool children, where greater than 90% were up-to-date on their vaccinations.....In Ohio, and Texas, 2 states having record numbers of whooping cough cases, over 75% had been vaccinated..........The two leading global makers of pertussis vaccine (Sanofi Pasteur,and GlaxoSmithKline) have funded groups such as the Global Pertussis Initiative, which is made up of 35 medical experts from 16 countries......and (who would have guessed)...24 of the members had recieved funding from Sanofi, and GlaxoSmithKline.........Globally vaccines were a 22 Billion doller industry last year, and sales are expected to reach 34 billion by 2012...........Just the state of California spent 207 million on pertussis vaccines since 2007, and just in 2010 a whopping 59.6 million dollers.......So, you can see, it's definately a multi-billion doller industry, with all the accompanying fear-mongering to scare you into getting another basically useless vaccine, that will hurt you more than it will ever help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
Most recently in a whooping cough outbreak in New York, all 13 students were FULLY vaccinated!! The risks of a pertussis vaccine are very real, and very serious, and can have devastating effects on your health
Maybe you could post a few links to these outbreaks. I've read about the NJ outbreak; it was older elementary school and middle school kids whose vaccines have worn off. The problem is, these kids can infect infants in whom the disease is far more serious.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
13 out of how many who were vaccinated?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:35 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't know. I think that, generally, vaccinations are a good thing. But there will always be exceptions and I am not sure it is the role of the state to make having them a legal requirement.
I think we have too many immigrants in the school system and not all come from first world countries or have all their health shots.

There's some nasty stuff still floating out there in other countries and if we let our guard down we could end up in a whole lot of trouble.
I volunteered at a school health clinic when my son was in school and mostly who showed up were immigrants, many not speaking English and they got all their kids free shots, including those too young to start school. The clinic was overwhelmed and ran out of doses within 2 hours and had to close.

It was both sad and scary to see.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:38 PM

45,398 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't know. I think that, generally, vaccinations are a good thing. But there will always be exceptions and I am not sure it is the role of the state to make having them a legal requirement.

You're about 50 years late with your concern.

Hell, they lined us up at school for polio shots. This was 1960.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:14 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

Yes, there is, but like the person who used the word immunated, you don't know beans about immunizations if you think that's better, easier, and more "common sense". Titer tests require a venipuncture, which is a much more painful procedure than an injection of vaccine, they take time to process, and then there would be the issue of people claiming to have gotten them but having no records.
I have no problem with parents who wish to provide titers as proof of immunity as opposed to shot records provided that they themselves pay to have the titers run. Yes, obtaining a titer requires a venipuncture, but if the parents would rather put their child through that to prove immunization status, who am I to argue. All I care about is whether or not the child is immune from vaccine preventable communicable disease. Titers only take a day or so to run, BTW. I highly doubt many unvaccinated kids will have immunity to diseases for which they were not vaccinated for (with the exception of chicken pox if they had previously contracted it), so running a titer for most diseases would be pointless anyhow. However, some kids can acquire full immunity after only a partial round of a vaccine. I had to have titers run as a condition of my employment, and it was determined that I was fully immune from Hep B even though I only had the first in the series of shots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Where does it say the school district is providing immunizations? I would guess (and this is only a guess) that a series of immunizations is cheaper than a titer. Local health departments do not do titers, in my experience, having actually worked at several.
My school district doesn't provide routine vaccinations, but they did have the swine flu vaccines available at the school for any parent that wanted their child to be vaccinated. Don't know if health departments do titers, but doctors offices can. It's a simple blood draw and off to the lab for testing, and yes, most likely more expensive than a vaccine. However, the titer can test for multiple disease immunities so it may in fact be cheaper than multiple vaccinations. Either way, the chances of a titer showing immunity from a disease that a child had not been exposed to or contracted is very low, so it's pretty pointless to even go that route.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I think we have too many immigrants in the school system and not all come from first world countries or have all their health shots.

There's some nasty stuff still floating out there in other countries and if we let our guard down we could end up in a whole lot of trouble.
I volunteered at a school health clinic when my son was in school and mostly who showed up were immigrants, many not speaking English and they got all their kids free shots, including those too young to start school. The clinic was overwhelmed and ran out of doses within 2 hours and had to close.

It was both sad and scary to see.
As has been previously stated, most unimmunized kids are US citizens. You could do a search for previous discussions of this issue, with links, instead of continuing to repeat that which is not true.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM

1,574 posts, read 1,019,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
meanwhile the whooping vaccine ( part of the DPT vaccine ) is a possible affecter of the autism gene
You have any evidence of that?

Old 07-07-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
13 out of how many who were vaccinated?
Excellent point! You have to look at the denominator, that is, how many students in the system.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:45 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
I havent been drugged for that or have my 2 born at home daughters.are we in trouble? can we still fly? will they drug us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies