Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2011, 09:47 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,761,839 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post

You are absolutely right. It's not age based to determine eligibility, it's your ability to know how to work the system.
Exactly correct. The average ederly person has no idea how to go about getting from the government what they have a right to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 09:51 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,285,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h0tmess View Post
Your right. The truly poor. But the minute you pull out your iPhone....that label of "poor" doesn't work anymore.

Funny how everyone ignores what I posted what I saw yesterday at the super market. I guess if we ignore it, it never happened.
Eligibility for SNAP doesn't consider whether you have a cell phone or not. It considers your housing and utilities versus provable income, and your assets. Assets include your car and how much money you have in the bank (statements required).

Old 08-07-2011, 10:43 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,680,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1984 View Post
I hate to break it to you but there is no world standard of poor. Each nation has different standards of poor depending on how wealthy the nation is. Having things like TVS, video games you can get for cheap does not make one well off.
You make a good point... maybe the word Poor should always be referenced like the original poster did as in Modern Poverty in America...

Old 08-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
Keep making excuses for them. That seems that is all Libs can do these days. A person who has all of the electronic goodies and a car are not poor no matter how you try to rationalize it.
Back in the 30's... the Russians wanted to show the poverty of America through John Steinbeck's book the Grapes of Wrath where poor Americans were fleeing the calamity of the Dust Bowl and Depression...

The one problem is a lot of the poor were driving decrepit automobiles with everything they owned hanging from the fenders and lashed down to the roof... the Russians peasants said America is a truly rich country because even the poorest of the poor, homeless, itinerant farm workers owned cars...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-07-2011 at 11:35 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 10:57 AM

521 posts, read 467,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Back in the 30's... the Russian wanted to show the poverty of America through John Steinbeck's book the Grapes of Wrath where poor Americans were fleeing the calamity of the Dust Bowl and Depression...

The one problem is a lot of the poor were driving decrepit automobiles with everything they owned hanging from the fenders and lashed down to the roof... the Russians peasants said America is a truly rich country because even the poorest of the poor, homeless, itinerant farm workers owned cars...
If you own a car, you are NOT poor. You are middle class. There's insurance, gas, maintenance, payments etc.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How many of the millions of poor are elderly?
The "elderly" are actually the most well-to-do age group. Most people paid into social security, they paid off their houses and so have no mortgage to pay, they had retirement plans also and have more accumulated wealth than other age groups.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Scates View Post
If you own a car, you are NOT poor. You are middle class. There's insurance, gas, maintenance, payments etc.
For the most part...

Although, I can tell you a long and frustrating story when my parked car was hit by a woman with no drivers license, no insurance and the car had expired tags... she lived in a building funded by HUD.

I was never able to get restitution and the police and DMV did nothing... the DMV said all they could do was suspend the license and since she was driving without a license... they could do nothing

Police told me it is not uncommon and they just didn't have time to impound every car and because of her 3 young children... they would have had to get social services involved if she was arrested... so, unless she was DUI... I was out of luck...

For the most part... if you don't own much... there is not much that can be done to you unless it is a felony

Old 08-07-2011, 12:09 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,974 times
Quote:
Too bad that you have no idea what you are talking about because, I have know for quite some time now how the government is out to destroy the middle class and it all started way before Obama.
It's big business and government out to destroy the middle class. Our standard of living is being lowered to meet that of the third-world countries. Don't worry, we'll get there, it'll all even out.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Exactly correct. The average ederly person has no idea how to go about getting from the government what they have a right to.
You'd be surprised. My father-in-law NEVER failed to ask for a senior discount, no matter where he was. A lot of seniors are quite savvy in this regard. All they have to do is drop in at the local senior center. Mind you, I do not really have a problem with this, just sayin'.

Old 08-07-2011, 12:32 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,274,837 times
Quote:
You already showed how little you know by saying that they are poor even though they have more tangible things than many middle class folks. You need to wake up and styop drinking that kool-aid.
So having a TV and VCR means they have more then the middle class? If the poor had as much as the little middle class they would be middle class not poor. Having a few things does not make them middle class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies