Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 11:15 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
There is no way to 'live the homosexual lifestyle'. being gay is a TRAIT and people WITH THAT TRAIT lead LIVES. I'm gay and 34 and have only been with ONE person. I live in north dakota. I don't have any different 'lifestyle' than any other straight person around here. Neil Patrick harris is also born with the trait of homosexuality but that's the ONLY thing we have in common. he has a completely different lifestyle. i KNOW being gay is a TRAIT and NOT a choice because i've been gay my whole life WITHOUT CHOICE. There are even gay people who are CELIBATE. the TRAIT is the SEXUAL ORIENTATION. no one is 'choosing a lifestyle'. They're just alive born with a trait and LIVING. why is it PHRASED this way. Is this some attempt to group people born with the trait of homosexuality together to make them seem like the 'other' so that it's easier to be bigoted against them. Also, just to let you know there has yet to be a 'straight gene' discovered but i take straight people at their word when they say they were born straight and never chose to be.. why isn't that extended to me?
In addition to the choice argument it might also have to do with the way homosexuals are presented and exaggerated in the media, like the gay guy from Ugly Betty, not to mention all the fashion designers and artists. People seldom think of the majority of homosexual John and Jane Does.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Sex outside of marriage is promiscuity.
No, it's not. The English language definition of promiscuous has no requirement of "marriage" or "unmarried"... It simply means INDISCRIMINATE SEX with MANY partners.

You can be unmarried and monogamous with the same person for years.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
whatever. In any event, the point remains....homosexuality is not a "trait". That's why we call it a lifestyle...you can choose your actions.
What is this "we" thing you keep referring to? Are you claiming to speak for all heterosexuals...for all Christians, or just for all anti-homosexual people?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:34 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,936,904 times
There's that circular logic....lmao

Gays are bad cuz they have sex outside of marriage
We gay people would like the right to marry our beloveds
No
Why not?
Cuz gays are bad

Once more with feeling

Old 07-29-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
What is this "we" thing you keep referring to? Are you claiming to speak for all heterosexuals...for all Christians, or just for all anti-homosexual people?
Flase prophets and self-proclaimed arbiters of morality.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:37 AM

25,157 posts, read 53,947,295 times
It is the fact that you are partnered with a man that is considered a " gay lifestyle".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
There is no way to 'live the homosexual lifestyle'. being gay is a TRAIT and people WITH THAT TRAIT lead LIVES. I'm gay and 34 and have only been with ONE person. I live in north dakota. I don't have any different 'lifestyle' than any other straight person around here. Neil Patrick harris is also born with the trait of homosexuality but that's the ONLY thing we have in common. he has a completely different lifestyle. i KNOW being gay is a TRAIT and NOT a choice because i've been gay my whole life WITHOUT CHOICE. There are even gay people who are CELIBATE. the TRAIT is the SEXUAL ORIENTATION. no one is 'choosing a lifestyle'. They're just alive born with a trait and LIVING. why is it PHRASED this way. Is this some attempt to group people born with the trait of homosexuality together to make them seem like the 'other' so that it's easier to be bigoted against them. Also, just to let you know there has yet to be a 'straight gene' discovered but i take straight people at their word when they say they were born straight and never chose to be.. why isn't that extended to me?

Old 07-29-2011, 11:41 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,934,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
No, it's not. The English language definition of promiscuous has no requirement of "marriage" or "unmarried"....
Actually that is incorrect:

Promiscuity - Psychology Wiki

Quote:
In human sexual behavior, promiscuity refers to casually between many partners.[1] Behavior includes sex with partners that are not one's spouse. Promiscuity is usually considered ethically incorrect.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
It is the fact that you are partnered with a man that is considered a " gay lifestyle".
.... I would provide some credence to the assertion that simply being partnered with a man is A "gay lifestyle".... meaning, it's a lifestyle that has as one of its tenants being in a 'gay relationship'.... however, just as there is no one "straight lifestyle" among those in heterosexual relationships, likewise there is no over-arching "gay lifestyle."

Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Homosexuals do have equal rights. What you want are "special rights", not equal. Everyone in this nation who is a citizen has equal rights; that is a fact.The thread topic addressed homosexuality as a "trait". I addressed that it was not a genetic trait and you have offered nothing to refute my source. Behavior traits do not dictate "rights".
Um, no they don't. then why did we just battle over dont as k dont tell? i don't remember that policy being applied to heterosexuals. Also if you make a law in which the requirements are BEING BORN STRAIGHT (like marriage rights) and then say i have the same 'right' as you if i would die and be reborn diffefrently that's not having the 'same right'. Women have always had equal rights too, they just had to be men

Old 07-29-2011, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Actually that is incorrect:

Promiscuity - Psychology Wiki
Sorry, but in our culture, you would be hard-pressed to find people (outside of the City-Data specialness) who would describe a committed, non-married couple of 20 years as "promiscuous."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies