Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,814,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
The T Party will not agree to raise the debt ceiling. They have said this over and over again. There is no compromising with them.
They said they would if the Dems agreed to pass the balanced budget amendment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:45 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,913,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
A-when you default, there is no such thing as a fixed rate.

B-It's not consumer credit. The entire American economy is affected, not just one consumer's pocketbook.
A - No one is defaulting on the debt - Who will Uncle Sam pay if there

B - Debt is debt. When does it get to be enough that you are worried about it? $20T? $30T? We've hit rock bottom and need an spending intervention. Maybe the White House will have to downgrade to basic cable.

Last edited by Robert_J; 07-29-2011 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: forgot B

Old 07-29-2011, 02:47 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
So based on your logic and that of the Tea Party - Your platform of no tax increase would necessarily dictate that you could not vote to raise the debt ceiling...Then why are we talking about negotiating when you have already made up your mind that the debt ceiling can not be raised.
I never said I wouldn't. The statement about taxes increasing is just a fact.

My big deal is spending. I want true cuts now. Go ahead and raise the debt ceiling - I just don't want fake spending cuts that are just a slow down in the increase. And no I don't want tax rate increases - unless the right deal presents itself.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:48 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Who says that without $4 trillion in REAL cuts the credit rating will be downgraded? Who determines what are REAL cuts versus the, I presume, IMAGINARY cuts?
Who says, S&P and Moodys credit rating agencies, that is who. How have you missed that?
http://money.msn.com/investment-advi...6bc7&GT1=33036

Real cuts vs. IMAGINARY cuts? Real cuts are not those already forcasted as diminished projected costs via attrition (gov. employee retirement, wind down of Iraq/Afghanistan wars, etc... .) These are not subjective terms I'm using.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:49 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,057,820 times
Just the fact that there is going to be a bill to raise the debt limit is compromise enough.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:51 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
They said they would if the Dems agreed to pass the balanced budget amendment.
I want you to try to follow me here. I feel like I am wasting my time otherwise. 2 weeks ago they added that little item. If you pass the balanced budget amendment within two weeks we will go along with it. Again, that is like saying if you can make every ocean in the world turn red by tomorrow we will go along with it. It simply is not possible. McCain Knows that, Hell West even knows that. It was never a serious bill only something that they knew would never get passed. It would be completely contradictory to what they have always said "no debt ceiling increase". You know that I am right. You have been listening to them.

This is what is happening.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:52 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Tea Party Terrorists will not move.
You should be ashamed of yourself for making ignorant statements like that. I can understand if you don't agree with people's political stance but to call a group of AMERICANS "terrorists" just because you don't like them and you're angry that they won't give in to your political desires is offensive and shows a complete lack of integrity. You should be ashamed of yourself, seriously.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM

The other thing I don't like is the debt ceiling increase is 100% in effect when a deal is signed. The spending cuts are over 10 years. I got a problem with that. Cut it all now.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM

10,029 posts, read 8,349,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You have no idea what you are posting about do you? You haven't even read the bill's text or you would not be posting this ignorant information.

Step 1) google the bill

Step 2) Read the bill, its fairly short.

Step 3) edit your post to reflect the truth

Step 4) Carry on.

You've got it all wrong. We need to pass it to see what's in it.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
I want you to try to follow me here. I feel like I am wasting my time otherwise. 2 weeks ago they added that little item. If you pass the balanced budget amendment within two weeks we will go along with it. Again, that is like saying if you can make every ocean in the world turn red by tomorrow we will go along with it. It simply is not possible. McCain Knows that, Hell West even knows that. It was never a serious bill only something that they knew would never get passed. It would be completely contradictory to what they have always said "no debt ceiling increase". You know that I am right. You have been listening to them.

This is what is happening.
... and the Senate plan is... ??
... and Obama's plan is... ??

Heard suggestions and ideas - no plan on paper. Nothing to vote on. Do they care?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies