Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that carbon dioxide and other gases are leading to global warming?
Yes 24 25.81%
No 59 63.44%
Not sure 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 08:27 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times

Advertisements

Only Americans ignore the worlds research in this. Somehow they think everyone is making it up. When we in our life times have seen average temperature increases that should take thousands of years but are only taking a decade.

Glaciers are receding at rates never seen before. Our country has seen the most dramatic weather anomalies and yet Americans can say...."nope its not real"... Well I'm thankful the rest of the world has a lick of sense and are taking the right steps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2011, 08:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Only Americans ignore the worlds research in this. Somehow they think everyone is making it up. When we in our life times have seen average temperature increases that should take thousands of years but are only taking a decade.

Glaciers are receding at rates never seen before. Our country has seen the most dramatic weather anomalies and yet Americans can say...."nope its not real"... Well I'm thankful the rest of the world has a lick of sense and are taking the right steps.
And yet Kilimanjaro was debunked, polar cap sea ice is increasing, the scientist that Al Gore based his science fiction movie on is being grilled and admitted that his numbers and, ultimately, his methodology were sloppy during the interview, and now NASA and the University of Alabama-Huntsville confirm that there's a net loss of heat from the atmosphere.

I guess it's true in the topsy-turvy world that liberals live in up is down, down is up, cooling is warming, warming is warming, more ice means more warming, net heat loss means heat buildup, etc.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:31 PM

13,900 posts, read 9,776,811 times
Belief? 100% of the country can believe something, but that doesn't change reality.

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Sorry, I am not going to go for an article with a title like that. No scientist would call global warming concerns alarmist. It is a partisan screed.
Alarmism is not needed. The effects of greenhouse gases on climate are facts. The subtext of this article is that if anything is different from what is in models, the general facts no longer apply. That is just not true.
I think that some of those scientists you like so well are very busy right now working on the next name for the thing they changed from global warming to climate change just because of NASA. What do you suppose they will call it the next time around?

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:

I see you are drinking Al Gore's Koolaid again......

Old 07-31-2011, 08:33 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I think that some of those scientists you like so well are very busy right now working on the next name for the thing they changed from global warming to climate change just because of NASA. What do you suppose they will call it the next time around?
Roy, I believe they are currently trying to cook some numbers and pull some theories out of their rears and call it ocean acidification. Last year I suspected the alarmists will try the ocean acidification scare in case global warming/climate change/man-made climate change/anthropomorphic global warming/climate catastrophe falls on its knees and shatters and now this year I've seen alarmist posts on here talking about acidification of oceans (by way of CO2) and how it'll contribute to catastrophe

Old 07-31-2011, 08:36 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:

Yep. Years ago Algore came in with that thing they worked up in Japan that required the US to cut its use of coal but allowed China and India to go ahead expanding their use of coal. The rest of the world does include China and India, doesn't it?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Sorry, gang, it's Forbes magazine, and I tend to not take seriously "news" articles that refer to climatologists as "alarmists".

Is that because you cannot refute their facts?

Old 07-31-2011, 08:44 PM

Quote:

Well, that's kinda like when the scientific community convinced the world that the earth was flat........

How did that work out for the esteemed scientists?

Old 07-31-2011, 09:56 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The idea that human activity has caused and is causing climate changes is opposed by two different general groups of people:

- The business wing opposes this idea because it implies that businesses should do something other than maximize the amount of money coming in. They know full well what climate change is doing, but anything resembling corporate responsibility is anathema to the philosophy of free market over all. Combating climate change would mean combating the culture of needless consumption and expansion that Capitalism requires in order to fulfill its purpose of making the rich richer.

- Religious folks oppose the idea on the grounds of an expanded idea of manifest destiny. God put us here to be fruitful and multiply, and implying that we should maybe check ourselves or exercise restraint goes against that idea. Besides, the Rapture is coming any day now anyway. They also oppose climate change out of the general "culture war" ideals of simply opposing science in general.
Lol, you forgot to mention the science doesn't support it either. My guess is you haven't seen the recent NASA report.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies