Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you believe that carbon dioxide and other gases are leading to global warming?
Yes 24 25.81%
No 59 63.44%
Not sure 10 10.75%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 10:03 PM

812 posts, read 595,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Further proof American's are the dumbest people in the industrialized world.
No, the election of Obama would have proved that!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 10:07 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,173,195 times
Quote:

Really?

source

Quote:
The BBC reports:

Belief in man-made global warming is down to 26% in England, BBC News reported, citing a Populus poll of 1,001 Britons.That’s down from 41% in November.

This coincides with revelations of widespread fraud by the IPCC in its Nobel-winning report and with record snows in Britain, Europe, Asia, North America and even Australia — where it is summer.

While 75% of Britons believe global warming is taking place, only 26% of Britons now blame man.

“It is very unusual indeed to see such a dramatic shift in opinion in such a short period,” Populus managing director Michael Simmonds told BBC News. “The British public are skeptical about man’s contribution to climate change – and becoming more so,” he added. More people are now doubters than firm believers.”

Old 07-29-2011, 10:10 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,879,951 times
There are many who believe that we should be "force" to accept what THEY manufacture to be "true"... they try to bribe us with so-called paid scientists, environmental fanatics, government agencies, etc etc and to WHAT end... they don't want to cut carbon dioxide, instead they want us to PAY them for just being alive... a "living" tax... I was once a sheep, I believed it because celebrities came on and trumpet the fear... then the "smart" people start presenting falsified evidence after falsified evidence but I couldn't blame them, that's what they were PAID to do and make a living out if it... No, I believed because I didn't look to close to the science... Al Gore was my "hero" by plunging ahead with "statements of irrefutable facts".... well, Al Gore also wanted my money, he invested millions in a system to charge me money and give it to him.... I looked at the science and came out shocked at the outright fraud... I am smart enough to spot a scammer and when these "faithful" came out to pronounce what they knew... well, I was no longer that stupid... the media doesn't ask the HARD questions... why would they, corporations and many people stand to benefit a lot of money to perpetuate it... take away the money for instance and just outright CAP carbon dioxide emissions and guess what... that's not what THEY want to do, there isn't MONEY in it for them to want that particular path... funny that the ONLY solution these people can come up with is to make us PAY them... really? are people really that blind to not see what is going on? It makes me a little sad... you watch people get scammed by the most OBVIOUS scams and you say to yourself, you would never fall for that... and here you are, just asking for someone else to take your money on something that isn't even real...

Old 07-29-2011, 10:18 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,774,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There are many who believe that we should be "force" to accept what THEY manufacture to be "true"... they try to bribe us with so-called paid scientists, environmental fanatics, government agencies, etc etc and to WHAT end... they don't want to cut carbon dioxide, instead they want us to PAY them for just being alive... a "living" tax... I was once a sheep, I believed it because celebrities came on and trumpet the fear... then the "smart" people start presenting falsified evidence after falsified evidence but I couldn't blame them, that's what they were PAID to do and make a living out if it... No, I believed because I didn't look to close to the science... Al Gore was my "hero" by plunging ahead with "statements of irrefutable facts".... well, Al Gore also wanted my money, he invested millions in a system to charge me money and give it to him.... I looked at the science and came out shocked at the outright fraud... I am smart enough to spot a scammer and when these "faithful" came out to pronounce what they knew... well, I was no longer that stupid... the media doesn't ask the HARD questions... why would they, corporations and many people stand to benefit a lot of money to perpetuate it... take away the money for instance and just outright CAP carbon dioxide emissions and guess what... that's not what THEY want to do, there isn't MONEY in it for them to want that particular path... funny that the ONLY solution these people can come up with is to make us PAY them... really? are people really that blind to not see what is going on? It makes me a little sad... you watch people get scammed by the most OBVIOUS scams and you say to yourself, you would never fall for that... and here you are, just asking for someone else to take your money on something that isn't even real...
Ok, how is CO2 not affecting the atmosphere? Have you published research or have a doctorate in atmospheric science? Can you talk about the global energy balance and the time lag between heat accumulation, oceanic warming, and global climate? or do you believe the laws of physics obey your political will? This science is at least 50 years old. It is not a new scheme, and it is self-evident to those with proper education to evaluate it. Since most people do not, they prefer to follow radio blowhards. Please don't do that on this issue.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:25 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,546,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Really?

source
1000 Briton's? That is a poor sample size, and proves nothing, really. This poll proves little either, as I'm pretty sure more than 44% of Americans believe in climate change. My guess is more around 50-60%, but granted, "Jay Walking"-like stupidity means many people don't know or care. If explained to them by scientists most of those answering "don't know" would change their vote

Old 07-29-2011, 10:36 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,215,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
That finding is, frankly, very sad. And terrible news for our kids.

It demonstrates that corporate propaganda and obfuscation will win over one hundred years of unassailable science. Go ahead cut their taxes some more, so they have more money to manufacture moronic consensus.
I guess now NASA is lying to the world over this new satellite data

I'll bet that if the satellite data showed otherwise you'd be standing on the global warming pedestal saying, "see? NASA data doesn't lie"

It's very sad that additional facts have been brought to the table to show global warming for what it is?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:41 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,336,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Huge drop since An Inconvenient Truth was released in 2006.

Belief In Global Warming

2001: 75%
2002: 74%
2007: 71%
2009: 51%
2011: 44%

Harris Interactive: Harris Polls
There may be an inverse relationship between Americans' belief in man-made global warming and the mean global temperature, but there is a direct relationship between the belief in man-mind global warming and the intelligence of the average American. The United States of Stupid -- it has a nice ring to it.

And yes, I'm better than you.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:48 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,336,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
There was nothing falsified about the data; the number of "scientists" who don't agree with global warming is minuscule compared to those who do believe in the theory. The "holdouts" are mainly quacks who don't even have background in climatology, and they get paid by corporations to lie in "academic" journals.

Moreover, the theory of global warming is one that has been almost irrefutably proven true over the course of the past 100 years. A rise in global temperatures was predicted in the 1890s, and it happened; predicted again in the 1930s, and it happened; and predicted again in the 1970s, and it happened yet again. In fact, the science behind global warming is more convincing than the science behind the Big Bang. Stop deluding yourself and study the facts. When there's more carbon in the air, the temperature rises. It's that simple. Debate done.

Old 07-29-2011, 10:58 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,173,195 times
Quote:
1000 Briton's? That is a poor sample size, and proves nothing, really. This poll proves little either, as I'm pretty sure more than 44% of Americans believe in climate change.
Umm, no.

source
Quote:
In practice, pollsters need to balance the cost of a large sample against the reduction in sampling error and a sample size of around 500–1,000 is a typical compromise for political polls.

Quote:
My guess is more around 50-60%, but granted, "Jay Walking"-like stupidity means many people don't know or care. If explained to them by scientists most of those answering "don't know" would change their vote

So, polls prove nothing but your guess does? Really?

Old 07-29-2011, 10:59 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,961,338 times
Quote:
Says the guy incorrectly using an apostrophe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies