Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 03:41 AM

4,367 posts, read 3,474,961 times

Advertisements

I didn't vote for hope and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 04:18 AM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,795,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
So nice, let's post it twice!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crossfire600 View Post
Please read the S&P report before you post more misinformation... Here is a link.. If you need help understanding please post back and we will give you a hand..

http://www.standardandpoors.com/servlet/BlobServer?blobheadername3=MDT-Type&blobcol=urldata&blobtable=MungoBlobs&blobhead ervalue2=inline%3B+filename%3DUS_Downgraded_AA%2B. pdf&blobheadername2=Content-Disposition&blobheadervalue1=application%2Fpdf&blo bkey=id&blobheadername1=content-type&blobwhere=1243942957443&blobheadervalue3=UTF-8

It bothers me when posters come on here, post information based on what they hear in the media then form an opinion and post it as if it's God's truth. Take some time and research before you post.

I have to assume you voted for the village idiot if you used the same basis for decision making as you did to determine the reasoning behind the S&P downgrade.

The Tea Party is not mentioned, the Bush tax cuts have a minimal impact on long term debt.. entitlements are a large part and mentioned/referenced several times in addition to raising revenues. Notice that they don't mention taxing the rich...they say raise revenue.. The also mention a dysfunctional administration and congress.

How in the world can you come up with what you posted from the S&P report?
They do mention raising taxes, though. On who? though. That's the issue, ain't it?

They mention the political climate sucks. If you don't think the Tea Party didn't contribute to the suckage, then perhaps you should do some more research.

Oh yeah, word of the day? Infer.

in·fer/inˈfər/
Verb: Deduce or conclude (information) from evidence and reasoning rather than from explicit statements.

Some people need things spelled out in documents. Other people just think about things and infer the meaning. It's also known as "reading between the lines." and "putting two and two together". Try it sometime. It's fascinating.

Oooh, let me help you again.
read between the lines
.... to infer something (from something else); to try to understand what is meant by something that is not written explicitly or openly.

The act contains no measures to raise taxes or otherwise enhance revenues, though the committee could recommend them.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:48 AM

341 posts, read 639,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I just saw this in the red breaking news ticker near the top of the page....

FoxNews.com - Breaking News | Latest News | Current News
Is China Preparing to Dump its $1 Trillion of Treasuries? - Greensburg, KS - Kiowa County Signal

It

http://www.kiowacountysignal.com/opi...-of-Treasuries

Old 08-06-2011, 04:55 AM

77,020 posts, read 47,402,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Dems had no hand in this? They could have averted this whole mess they had control of the house and senate as well as the sitting president.
Why didn't they do something about it? What they did do.
Do something about what? This downgrade has nothing to do with the deficit, and it has everything to do with the message GOP sent to the world when they declared that they would actually force The United States to stop paying her bills unless their demands are met. That kind of announcement says that United States cannot be trusted to pay back their loans, and therefore cannot be granted a stellar rating. Would you loan money to a person after he admits he may, or may not pay you back? I would not.

Look at Switzerland for example. Their rating is the stellar AAA, although their debt is $174,526 per capita. So, they have a lot of debt, but they retain their credit because everyone knows they can be trusted to pay back. Not so with the US anymore. Not after that GOP announcement.

The GOP did a lot of damage with this circus, and we don't even know how bad it is going to get. The sad part is the fact that the whole show was done to purposely sabotage the economy for political reasons, and I find that unforgivable. I voted for those sobs and I can't even begin to tell you how unhappy I am with them. I see their actions as borderline treason.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:57 AM

7,795 posts, read 6,356,921 times
One of the few times I advocate slapping a huge tax on them.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,873,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Do something about what? This downgrade has nothing to do with the deficit, and it has everything to do with the message GOP sent to the world when they declared that they would actually force The United States to stop paying her bills unless their demands are met. That kind of announcement says that United States cannot be trusted to pay back their loans, and therefore cannot be granted a stellar rating. Would you loan money to a person after he admits he may, or may not pay you back? I would not.

Look at Switzerland for example. Their rating is the stellar AAA, although their debt is $174,526 per capita. So, they have a lot of debt, but they retain their credit because everyone knows they can be trusted to pay back. Not so with the US anymore. Not after that GOP announcement.

The GOP did a lot of damage with this circus, and we don't even know how bad it is going to get. The sad part is the fact that the whole show was done to purposely sabotage the economy for political reasons, and I find that unforgivable. I voted for those sobs and I can't even begin to tell you how unhappy I am with them. I see their actions as borderline treason.
you do realize that people can read your prior posts.......

Last edited by floridasandy; 08-06-2011 at 05:15 AM..

Old 08-06-2011, 05:22 AM

77,020 posts, read 47,402,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you do realize that people can read your prior posts.......
Like which ones?

You should stop pounding your own head, because it will probably give you a headache. Aww, what the heck, keep pounding if it eases the pain.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:38 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,806,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The outlook on the long-term rating is negative. We could lower the
long-term rating to 'AA' within the next two years if we see that less
reduction in spending than agreed to, higher interest rates, or new
fiscal pressures during the period result in a higher general government
debt trajectory than we currently assume in our base case.

note whats missing liberals. RAISING TAXES.. SPENDING IS THE PROBLEM...
Blinders off please. from the S&P Statement..

"We lowered our long-term rating on the U.S. because we believe that the prolonged controversy over raising the statutory debt ceiling and the related fiscal policy debate indicate that further near-term progress containing the growth in public spending, especially on entitlements, or on reaching an agreement on raising revenues is less likely than we previously assumed and will remain a contentious and fitful process. We also believe that the fiscal consolidation plan that Congress and the Administration agreed to this week falls short of the amount that we believe is necessary to stabilize the general government debt burden by the middle of the decade."

S&P Downgrades - Full Ratings Agency Statement | TPMDC

Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,873,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like which ones?

You should stop pounding your own head, because it will probably give you a headache. Aww, what the heck, keep pounding if it eases the pain.
anyone can go back and see your prior posts.

standard and poor's downgraded because of the spending and the debt level:

The primary focus remained on the current level of debt, the trajectory of debt as a share of the economy, and the lack of apparent willingness of elected officials as a group to deal with the U.S. medium term fiscal outlook.

Read more: Standard & Poor's Clarifies Assumption Used On Discretionary Spending Growth | Benzinga.com

america HAS to get the spending under control.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:53 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,806,193 times
It funny that Congress, except Harry Reid who showed a little in the shared responsibility and duty, the rest blames everybody else for the downgrade. I haven't heard what all of them said, but the lack of acknowledgement of their own responsibility in contributing to the problem, demonstrates a fundamental childishness that permeates Congress. Even the candidates hopeful to fool enough voters, fail to acknowledge or make adult statements of what needs to be done. Romney, never has had a clue, Bachmann, a big part of the problem, I am surprised that Huntsman fell into the blame trap. I have not heard what they all said any that show actual Leadership, would state joint responsibility and solut6ion is required..

Last edited by florida.bob; 08-06-2011 at 06:07 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies