Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,209,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No need. Just tell everyone else to give up their hyphens first, then I'll give up mine. Our whole history has been erased, and I'm not giving up anything else. You first.
100% agreed and well said!!!! Wish I could rep you again.

Why is there always the need for African Americans to give up something? Why is there such fear in my considering myself an AA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 03:17 PM

1,161 posts, read 1,859,373 times
Neither.

Indians and Irish were slaves, too. Also, you can include Chinese and French-Canadians.

Our slave history is quite multicultural.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:26 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,454,215 times
For a "black" American to call themself "African-American" is imprecise and sounds odd. How can you claim a continent for your ancestry?

Same would be odd for someone with European ancestry to call themself, "European-American". Ordinarily they know where their ancestors originated in Europe so it sounds a little ridiculous for someone with French or German ancestry so say they're "European-American". They say "German-American". With African American how can you claim the entire continent. I have heard Asians claim they're "Asian-American" but ordinarily they say "Korean-American" or whatever ancestry they have.

Australians never say they're English-Australian, or Greek-Australian. "They say I'm an Aussie!!!!" - Americans should do the same and say, "I'm an American!!!".

Some Americans feel so bruised by their ancestry having been neglected or negated (or so proud - for something they had nothing to do with) that they feel the need to assert where their ancestors originated by hyphenating their ethnicity.

By all means call yourself anything you want. But if you want to be more precise, have a DNA ancestry test so you know roughly where your ancestors originated.

Sounds silly... "I'm a Northern-Hemispherian American, I'm a Southern-Hemispherian American"... blahhh booo go away!

Old 08-08-2011, 03:28 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
No need. Just tell everyone else to give up their hyphens first, then I'll give up mine. Our whole history has been erased, and I'm not giving up anything else. You first.
Exactly

Old 08-08-2011, 03:38 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
For a "black" American to call themself "African-American" is imprecise and sounds odd. How can you claim a continent for your ancestry?

Same would be odd for someone with European ancestry to call themself, "European-American". Ordinarily they know where their ancestors originated in Europe so it sounds a little ridiculous for someone with French or German ancestry so say they're "European-American". They say "German-American". With African American how can you claim the entire continent. I have heard Asians claim they're "Asian-American" but ordinarily they say "Korean-American" or whatever ancestry they have. Australians never say they're English-Australian, or Greek-Australian. "They say I'm an Aussie!!!!" - Americans should do the same. "I'm an American!!!"

By all means call yourself anything you want. But if you want to be more precise, have a DNA ancestry test so you know roughly where your ancestors originated.

Until very recently, the ability for African Americans to identify the specific countries and/or tribes of origins were systematically denied to us. When African slaves arrived to the New World, they were baptised and given "Christian" names, they were purposely separated from others who shared their common languages and openly punished (beaten and whipped) for any attempt to hang on to their culture. (recall the scene in Roots where Kunta Kente was whipped for refusing to accept his "new" name of Toby given by his owner)

Much has been taken away from us but we know who we are and that obviously scares a lot of people. We will never forget our history, ever.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:44 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,321,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Is there a reason we should need hyphenated identities? Why isn't being "American citizens" enough?
Well, there ARE Montana-Americans, ya know!

When I travel overseas, I try to modify my American evil by identifying as a Montana-American.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:49 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,474,745 times
Black or African-American is fine. When we wanted to be just recognized as Americans, "other folks" had a problem with that. Because if everyone is just labeled American, then threads spewing misinformation about black people would lose their punch!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Black or African-American is fine. When we wanted to be just recognized as Americans, "other folks" had a problem with that. Because if everyone is just labeled American, then threads spewing misinformation about black people would lose their punch!
Again, it's about control. The problem they have with African American is that WE came up with it. If they did, it would be no issue.

And you're right, when we just wanted to be "Americans," they were having NONE of it. But now that we have some say so over what we're called, they demand that we just be Americans and drop the hyphens.

Naaaah....too late.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post

Same would be odd for someone with European ancestry to call themself, "European-American". Ordinarily they know where their ancestors originated in Europe so it sounds a little ridiculous for someone with French or German ancestry so say they're "European-American". They say "German-American". With African American how can you claim the entire continent. I have heard Asians claim they're "Asian-American" but ordinarily they say "Korean-American" or whatever ancestry they have.

Australians never say they're English-Australian, or Greek-Australian. "They say I'm an Aussie!!!!" - Americans should do the same and say, "I'm an American!!!".

Some Americans feel so bruised by their ancestry having been neglected or negated (or so proud - for something they had nothing to do with) that they feel the need to assert where their ancestors originated by hyphenating their ethnicity.

Sounds silly... "I'm a Northern-Hemispherian American, I'm a Southern-Hemispherian American"... blahhh booo go away!
What others say about themselves has no bearing on what we call ourselves...this is the point i keep trying to make. If Asians or anyone else do it differently, that's their issue. That's not my business. We're gonna do it our way. Black folks don't have to name ourselves predicated on how others decide to name themselves. Our history is distinctive from theirs, and we've earned the right to use whatever methods we choose when we label ourselves.

So telling us what others do is a waste of time. We don't care.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Neither.

Indians and Irish were slaves, too. Also, you can include Chinese and French-Canadians.

Our slave history is quite multicultural.
The Indians, Irish, Franco-Canadians, and Chinese can call themselves what they want.

That has nothing to do with black people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies