Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:46 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,601,142 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he was waiting until they expired, was he not?
Obama said he would let them expire and continued saying that until November 2010 when he started caving in.

Eventually he signed the extension and now we have the Obama cuts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 11:57 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,772,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Obama said he would let them expire and continued saying that until November 2010 when he started caving in.

I wanted them to expire, but they were definitely flawed. IMO we need higher taxes on some groups, but there is no significance whatsoever to $250k/year AGI.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:02 PM

20,494 posts, read 12,416,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
LIE. He has TWICE attempted to remove the Bush Tax cuts for the rich. Once the Republican held unemployment benefits hostage to keep them and the second time they held the Nation hostage. Extortion at it's finest.
Casper

Casper, you can put the letter L I and E all bunched together all you want, but the fact is, when Bammer got to washington, he had a super majority in both the House and Senate. He had that super majority for 2 full years.

Further, during that period of time while he had a super majority, the
"Bush Tax Cuts" were set to expire.

Bammer signed a law extending the "Bush Tax Cuts" that was passed by a congress where democrats held super majorities in both houses.

All Bammer had to do to let the "Bush Tax Cuts" go away was veto that bill. He signed it. A bill PASSED by a congress totally controlled by democrats.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:06 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,987,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post

Well, no, we have Obama's tax rates. There were no cuts. No one has a lesser federal income tax liability as a result of Obama's tax rates. We have been taxedadditionally though via Obamacare, higher fuel costs, etc.... .

Old 08-09-2011, 12:30 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,772,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Well, no, we have Obama's tax rates. There were no cuts. No one has a lesser federal income tax liability as a result of Obama's tax rates. We have been taxedadditionally though via Obamacare, higher fuel costs, etc.... .
So when gas spiked under Bush, did y'all call that a "tax" too?

My taxes have gone down under Obama, very slightly.

Last edited by le roi; 08-09-2011 at 12:49 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 12:38 PM

764 posts, read 598,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
There are no "Bush tax cuts". After 10 years they became the standard tax rates. Obama renewed them which made them his tax rates, not Bush's. Terminology matters, try to get it right: Obama ownes the tax rates now; in fact, he talked them up as a great idea before signing them back into law.
No, he said continuing rates for the bottom 99% was a good idea...

Old 08-09-2011, 12:43 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,037,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heritage Member View Post
I don't believe Obama wants to eliminate the Bush tax cuts.

If he did, he would have done it during the 2 years the democrats controlled the white house, senate and house.

He didn't.

If he wanted to eliminate them, the republicans would not have been able to stop him.

I say he likes them as they are for political reasons.

He only wants it for a talking point to win elections.

Without that talking point, he would not be able to spew the hatefilled class warfare rhetoric he does.
Obama is establishment, like Bush and probably every president we are ever doomed to elect. The two "sides" only appear to bicker, to cover up their backroom deals they agree upon secretly.

Old 08-09-2011, 12:48 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,665,928 times
I agree Obama likes the Bush tax cuts, or at least doesn't really hate them all that much.

I hated the Bush wars and the Bush tax cuts. I voted for Obama as a vote against the wars and the tax cuts. Two and a half years later, we've got the Bush wars and the Bush tax cuts. If Obama loses in 2012, I hope he realizes it was because a black face wasn't the change we were hoping for -- it was a change in Bush's policies.

Old 04-08-2019, 01:51 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,097,032 times
Thanks Obama

Old 04-08-2019, 02:12 PM

57,408 posts, read 26,334,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Thanks Obama
Some believed that a tax increase would put us back in recession in 2013, I thought Obama could have rolled back the Bush cuts. He could not cut taxes in 2010 in that economy.

Besides, the republicans were not going to approve any tax increase in 2013. They just added a tax cut in the hottest economy we had in decades, they don't worry much about deficits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies