Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 11:54 AM

800 posts, read 781,436 times

Advertisements

I'm not arguing against tasers. I fully support the 2nd ammendment, have no problem with concealed carry etc. I thouht the cop was in the right who shot the person that started the Cininnati riots 10ish years ago.

However, I'm arguing that college police officers should not be carrying tasers. It allows for lazy policing because people believe it to be non-lethal when at least 35 people a year since 2001 have died from taser incidents. There are obviously going to be a number of drunken incidents on a college campus except for places like BYU.

When you sign to be a cop you know full well the dangers of the job. If you don't want to risk getting hurt taking someone down go work in an office.

In regards to other methods that might broken a bone, ask the kids parents if they would rather have a living soon with a broken bone or a dead son in a casket.

Cops spend to much time harassing young people because its easy than going after really problems particularly in college towns. Then when a big case comes along to the college pd they often horrendously botch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I'm not arguing against tasers. I fully support the 2nd ammendment, have no problem with concealed carry etc. I thouht the cop was in the right who shot the person that started the Cininnati riots 10ish years ago.

However, I'm arguing that college police officers should not be carrying tasers. It allows for lazy policing because people believe it to be non-lethal when at least 35 people a year since 2001 have died from taser incidents. There are obviously going to be a number of drunken incidents on a college campus except for places like BYU.

When you sign to be a cop you know full well the dangers of the job. If you don't want to risk getting hurt taking someone down go work in an office.

In regards to other methods that might broken a bone, ask the kids parents if they would rather have a living soon with a broken bone or a dead son in a casket.

Cops spend to much time harassing young people because its easy than going after really problems particularly in college towns. Then when a big case comes along to the college pd they often horrendously botch it.
So, in your view, police should take unnecessary risks rather than use tools that are relatively non-lethal?

35 a year really isn't that bad, in the scheme of things - I don't hear people complaining about the 16,000 people killed each year by cars.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:34 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
So, in your view, police should take unnecessary risks rather than use tools that are relatively non-lethal?
These "tools" are mere gimmicks used as toys for the immature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
35 a year really isn't that bad, in the scheme of things - I don't hear people complaining about the 16,000 people killed each year by cars.
You're right. Most people involved in auto accidents are merely stunned.

I am oftentimes stunned by what I read.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:39 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Cops murder another one:

Teen struck by Ohio campus officer's stun gun dies - Yahoo! News

Taze em all and let god sort them out.
That's it? You use this article to make a clear, concise judgement? REALLY?!

There's nothing there!

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,477,038 times
Quote:
I live in Cincinnati. He went straight for the taser, did not try to use other methods.

He should of just called for back up. There's no excuse. It's just like the kid who got tased at the Phillies game just plain stupid.

Did you have any fun in college?

No matter what you do kids are going to drink, the police force needs to be educated on how to properly and rationally deal with drunk people without using methods that could possibly kill them
So? The teen could have complied immediately but refused. A police officer should not have to resort to 'back-up' every time he is confronted with an individual who refuses to follow commands. He has a non-lethal piece of equipment at his disposal and he used it.

Regarding having fun in college - that is not an excuse to ignore directions from police.

[drunk people are still responsible for their actions - they are not exempt]

Old 08-09-2011, 07:40 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,742,275 times
Quote:

Sorry, I disagree. When some nut case goes to school and shoots up a bunch of his classmates, (VA Tech, for example), I think the college police SHOULD have something on them to be able to stop the guy.

Old 08-09-2011, 07:52 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
Sounds like a terrible accident.
Isn't killing someone by accident manslaughter?

Look what the cops did that that poor schizophrenic a couple of weeks ago. They beat him so badly he finally died. I hope those cops go to jail.

Look what is happening in England right now. Disenfranchized youth; crappy schools; no jobs; no place to live other than on top of one another, and no money. They have little to lose with the riots that followed a killing of a poor youth. The pent up anger is now exploding, and like here in America, those who have are clueless.

There have been way too many serious injuries and even deaths by over-zealous cops with a tazer.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Sorry, I disagree. When some nut case goes to school and shoots up a bunch of his classmates, (VA Tech, for example), I think the college police SHOULD have something on them to be able to stop the guy.

Yes that would be called a gun which I believe college cops should have. However, when someone uses a gun that they have to think seriously about it, while "non-lethal" tasers are used almost as a first choice solution.

The job of cops is to protect and serve, and to say the kid deserved it is absurd. None of the crimes used were equivalent to the death sentence. There is a reason more and more police departments are suspending use of the device and college campuses should be the first.

There is way too much policing of college students on campus by both administration (who often want to force schools into becoming intellectual, liberal utopias) and religious conservatives who believe it's their place to tell people what to do with their lives.

Last edited by CincyIU29; 08-09-2011 at 08:31 PM..

Old 08-09-2011, 08:21 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
And this uncompromising authoritarian attitude is why I consider you a thug. The term non-compliance is just a little too generic and open to interpretation for me to be comfortable with.

Again, yes, this is my opinion and you and others may have a different opinion. I believe police have a huge responsibility to and for the public trust. I believe many fail in this responsibility. I believe there is a culture within our society that agrees with a police state agenda and attempts to hide and cover up abuses by police.
you sound like the kid that would get angry because the cops responded to a 911 call, and you would get in the cops face for spoiling your fun. in which case you deserve to be tased if you refuse to obey a lawful order. if a cop gives you a lawful order, you need to obey it, regardless of what you think of the cop or the order.

note the term "lawful order". this doesnt mean the cop can tell you to go out a kill someone for him, but if you are told to back off and let the cop do his job, then BACK OFF AND LET THE COP DO HIS JOB. the kid refused. again i am sorry the kid is dead, but he brought it on himself. now if you could prove that the cop tased him several times, for no reason, then we can talk about punishing the cop. but until that time i believe the cop did what he needed to do to control the situation.

Quote:

yeah, lets just eliminate the taser shall we? we can substitute bean bag rounds shot from a piston at close range, oh wait people can die from those as well. ok let the officer give the kid a wooden shampoo, oh wait cant do that cause its police brutality. hmmm, ok lets use the green laser, yeah thats the ticket, oh wait possible eye damage, and it is too big to carry around on a cops belt for daily use. so rather than take away the tools cops can use to keep from going to the hospital themselves, and are quite safe overall, how about YOU come up with some suggestions as to what the cop could have done differently to calm a tense situation.

unless you have been a cop, you have NO idea what they go through on a day to day basis, and the kind of people that they have to deal with. you have NO idea what kind of anger they deal with when just doing their jobs on a day to day basis. if you get caught speeding, lets say 10 over the limit, and a cop pulls you over, who do you get mad at? yourself? you are likely thinking you did nothing wrong, or you think the cop should be out catching REAL criminals. you might be frustrated and having a bad day, but you take all that out on the cop, FOR NO GOOD REASON!!

so before you excoriate the cops, walk a mile in their shoes. take a ride along with a cop for a shift or two, and you might get a new appreciation for what cops go through.

Old 08-09-2011, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you sound like the kid that would get angry because the cops responded to a 911 call, and you would get in the cops face for spoiling your fun. in which case you deserve to be tased if you refuse to obey a lawful order. if a cop gives you a lawful order, you need to obey it, regardless of what you think of the cop or the order.

note the term "lawful order". this doesnt mean the cop can tell you to go out a kill someone for him, but if you are told to back off and let the cop do his job, then BACK OFF AND LET THE COP DO HIS JOB. the kid refused. again i am sorry the kid is dead, but he brought it on himself. now if you could prove that the cop tased him several times, for no reason, then we can talk about punishing the cop. but until that time i believe the cop did what he needed to do to control the situation.

yeah, lets just eliminate the taser shall we? we can substitute bean bag rounds shot from a piston at close range, oh wait people can die from those as well. ok let the officer give the kid a wooden shampoo, oh wait cant do that cause its police brutality. hmmm, ok lets use the green laser, yeah thats the ticket, oh wait possible eye damage, and it is too big to carry around on a cops belt for daily use. so rather than take away the tools cops can use to keep from going to the hospital themselves, and are quite safe overall, how about YOU come up with some suggestions as to what the cop could have done differently to calm a tense situation.

unless you have been a cop, you have NO idea what they go through on a day to day basis, and the kind of people that they have to deal with. you have NO idea what kind of anger they deal with when just doing their jobs on a day to day basis. if you get caught speeding, lets say 10 over the limit, and a cop pulls you over, who do you get mad at? yourself? you are likely thinking you did nothing wrong, or you think the cop should be out catching REAL criminals. you might be frustrated and having a bad day, but you take all that out on the cop, FOR NO GOOD REASON!!

so before you excoriate the cops, walk a mile in their shoes. take a ride along with a cop for a shift or two, and you might get a new appreciation for what cops go through.

I described earlier in the thread other devices that similar effects as tasers but much lower chance of death.

When I get a speeding ticket I do not get mad at the cop, because he is treating me in a way that I expect. If I speed and get caught I expect to get a ticket.

This kid did not deserve to die. Absolutely not.

Many people on here are more or less saying the kids death is justified simply because he didn't follow orders or is an acceptable unintended consequence

Which is funny cause that excuse is used by all sorts of people to oppress.

The cop shot the kid in the chest, which the makers of taser say not to do, and the kid died.

At the very least the guy should be demoted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies