Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 10:56 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
Of course that would be your opinion.
yes it is my opinion that if the kid backed off like the cop told him to, he would be alive today.

Quote:
Nice, name calling and an assumption of authorized force without having any idea of what happened. I know the first guy is a thug, I just didn't know his partner was with him.
oh, so i am a thug now am i? you have proof of this, or are you merely making unfounded accusations?

Quote:
So a cop is a bear in the woods? An unthinking animal capable of random acts of violence. OK, yea, I guess that does make sense.
nice spin, you work fo rthe DNC do you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 11:29 AM

800 posts, read 781,692 times
The people on here claiming the kid deserved it are out of their mind, the cop should be fired.

Tasers are seriously an excuse for lazy police officers. Did the kid at the phillies game need to get tasered? The kid in Florida? This kid?

No there are other very effective and 100% non lethal methods of subduing someone. It's ridiculous people are defending the cop.

The overpolicing of college campuses and Greek Systems are causing MORE incidents rather than less.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:31 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,982,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Cops murder another one:

Teen struck by Ohio campus officer's stun gun dies - Yahoo! News

Taze em all and let god sort them out.
Oh please. This was totally avoidable. Cop tells you to back off YOU DO IT. Really simple way to avoid getting tazed.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:38 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
The overpolicing of college campuses and Greek Systems are causing MORE incidents rather than less.
They're causing more incidents? What report did you read showing that to be the case? I mean, I'm sure you'd never pass off your unsubstantiated opinion as fact, would you?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,995,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rso092 View Post
Of course. I actually got out of law enforcement because I was sick of the way policing is done now in this country. I'm staunchly libertarian, and I could not personally reconcile locking people up for violating laws I vehemently disagreed with.

I also did not enjoy using force, and did it only when forced to. The major upside of being my size is I'm pretty damn intimidating, so most people never even tried fighting

We need more police officers like you and who think like you.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:49 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
He was asking for it, why blame the officer if the kid couldn't handle a few volts?
Don't do the crime if you can't do the time...
This strikes me as a comment made without really thinking through what you are saying.

What crime?
The student was not even accused of any crime at the time of the incident.
And even if there was an accusation of a crime, it is for the courts, not the police on the street to determine guilt, much less punishment.

This is silly though, as previously stated there is not enough information to make any kind of rational judgement concerning fault. It is sad though.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:55 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,878,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes it is my opinion that if the kid backed off like the cop told him to, he would be alive today.

oh, so i am a thug now am i? you have proof of this, or are you merely making unfounded accusations?

nice spin, you work fo rthe DNC do you?
Yes, based upon previous dialogue with you I absolutely consider you an authoritarian thug - that is my opinion.

As for being DNC that is an interesting comment. Do you believe only Democrats care about civil liberties? That type of position would lend credibility to the position of extremists on the Dems side of the fence that Repubs are all authoritarian thugs.

Though in answer to your question, no.
I'm registered Libertarian but will change affilliation to vote for Ron Paul
I have never voted for a Democrat President, voted once for a Republican President and once for Perot.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Yes, based upon previous dialogue with you I absolutely consider you an authoritarian thug - that is my opinion.
so because i support the cop in this case because the kid was being an aggressive idiot, and the cop did what he needed to do to go home that night, i am a thug. even though you know NOTHING about me? yeah right. so you have no proof yet you decide what i am.

Quote:
As for being DNC that is an interesting comment. Do you believe only Democrats care about civil liberties? That type of position would lend credibility to the position of extremists on the Dems side of the fence that Repubs are all authoritarian thugs.

Though in answer to your question, no.
I'm registered Libertarian but will change affilliation to vote for Ron Paul
I have never voted for a Democrat President, voted once for a Republican President and once for Perot.
no i dont think that only republicans care about one thing or democrats another, but the spin machine is usually democrat run, and oyu seem to like to spin things as if they were in a centrifuge. i do care about civil liberties, but understand that with those liberties come responsibilities. and one responsibility is that when someone who is charged with upholding the law orders you to back off, then you have the responsibility to BACK OFF, or accept the consequences. in the case the kid has to accept the consequences for his actions.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:22 PM

800 posts, read 781,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nr5667 View Post
They're causing more incidents? What report did you read showing that to be the case? I mean, I'm sure you'd never pass off your unsubstantiated opinion as fact, would you?

From the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism:

A meta-analysis from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/), which uses numbers from government databases and national surveys, showed that alcohol abuse on college campuses nationwide has increased over the past 10 years. The number of alcohol-related deaths among 18- to 24-year-olds rose from 1,440 in 1998 to 1,825 in 2005, while "episodic (binge) drinking" saw a 3 percentage point increase in the same time period, from 42 percent to 45 percent.

This incease in least in the example I know best in IU, shows an increase in deaths as schools try to crack down on Greek Systems and partying.

For example, in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's Greek houses at Indiana largely served beers out of kegs. However, a new liberal/progressive administration began to be phased in and banned kegs from Greek houses and put strict regulations on cases of beers in houses. This led to vodka becoming the defacto drink at IU because a handle(s) of vodka are much easier to hide than bags of beer cans.

Since vodka is way less filling and way more potent, students quickly underestimate how much they've had leading to tragic incidents due to extreme beligerence as seen in this case at UC and alcohol poisoning. Also, organizations are afraid to take people to the hospital because they are afraid they will get in trouble.

The problem is these high browed and liberal administrators want to turn IU into a hipster loving school where all of the students disdain greek life or sports and would rather sit in a starbucks and discuss obscure French philosphy and indie bands for hours on a Friday night.

The problem with that is Indiana is a big state school. People are gonna want to party and there is no way various administrators are going to be able to turn this into some giant midwestern version of Vassar or something.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:27 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
From the National Institute for Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism:

A meta-analysis from the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/), which uses numbers from government databases and national surveys, showed that alcohol abuse on college campuses nationwide has increased over the past 10 years. The number of alcohol-related deaths among 18- to 24-year-olds rose from 1,440 in 1998 to 1,825 in 2005, while "episodic (binge) drinking" saw a 3 percentage point increase in the same time period, from 42 percent to 45 percent.

This incease in least in the example I know best in IU, shows an increase in deaths as schools try to crack down on Greek Systems and partying.

For example, in the 70's, 80's, and early 90's Greek houses at Indiana largely served beers out of kegs. However, a new liberal/progressive administration began to be phased in and banned kegs from Greek houses and put strict regulations on cases of beers in houses. This led to vodka becoming the defacto drink at IU because a handle(s) of vodka are much easier to hide than bags of beer cans.

Since vodka is way less filling and way more potent, students quickly underestimate how much they've had leading to tragic incidents due to extreme beligerence as seen in this case at UC and alcohol poisoning. Also, organizations are afraid to take people to the hospital because they are afraid they will get in trouble.

The problem is these high browed and liberal administrators want to turn IU into a hipster loving school where all of the students disdain greek life or sports and would rather sit in a starbucks and discuss obscure French philosphy and indie bands for hours on a Friday night.

The problem with that is Indiana is a big state school. People are gonna want to party and there is no way various administrators are going to be able to turn this into some giant midwestern version of Vassar or something.
I see a correlation, not a causation; regardless, the increase on binge drinking is not an indictment of police procedure, which is what your post was about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies