Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 08:49 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Yes that would be called a gun which I believe college cops should have. However, when someone uses a gun that they have to think seriously about it, while "non-lethal" tasers are used almost as a first choice solution.

The job of cops is to protect and serve, and to say the kid deserved it is absurd. None of the crimes used were equivalent to the death sentence. There is a reason more and more police departments are suspending use of the device and college campuses should be the first.

There is way too much policing of college students on campus by both administration (who often want to force schools into becoming intellectual, liberal utopias) and religious conservatives who believe it's their place to tell people what to do with their lives.
I will agree with you that it should be a gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 09:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
I described earlier in the thread other devices that similar effects as tasers but much lower chance of death.

When I get a speeding ticket I do not get mad at the cop, because he is treating me in a way that I expect. If I speed and get caught I expect to get a ticket.
well you are unusual in that respect. most people i know get mad at the cop for doing their job.

Quote:
This kid did not deserve to die. Absolutely not.
i agree that the kid did not deserve to die, however he would be alive today if he had just followed the cops order to back off.

Quote:
Many people on here are more or less saying the kids death is justified simply because he didn't follow orders or is an acceptable unintended consequence

Which is funny cause that excuse is used by all sorts of people to oppress.

The cop shot the kid in the chest, which the makers of taser say not to do, and the kid died.
first off cops, like the military and others being taught to shoot, are trained to aim for center mass. it is hard to pull something that feels like a lightweight firearm, and aim for a leg.

[/quote]
At the very least the guy should be demoted.[/quote]

dont forget the cop is going to carry the guilt of having someone die as a result of his actions for the rest of his life. unless you have taken a life, you have no idea how that can weigh on your mind, and for how long. but before we decide he needs to be demoted or fired, how about we let the investigation take its course. it may come out that he was in fact justified in taking the action he did. if he was not justified in taking the action he did, the he will be punished according to department regulations. and he still faces a possible civil suit against him by the kids family. but until ALL the facts are known, we can bluster all we want about how bad this cop or kid is/was, but it means NOTHING right now.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:27 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
I'm not arguing against tasers. I fully support the 2nd ammendment, have no problem with concealed carry etc. I thouht the cop was in the right who shot the person that started the Cininnati riots 10ish years ago.

However, I'm arguing that college police officers should not be carrying tasers. It allows for lazy policing because people believe it to be non-lethal when at least 35 people a year since 2001 have died from taser incidents. There are obviously going to be a number of drunken incidents on a college campus except for places like BYU.

When you sign to be a cop you know full well the dangers of the job. If you don't want to risk getting hurt taking someone down go work in an office.

In regards to other methods that might broken a bone, ask the kids parents if they would rather have a living soon with a broken bone or a dead son in a casket.

Cops spend to much time harassing young people because its easy than going after really problems particularly in college towns. Then when a big case comes along to the college pd they often horrendously botch it.
1) No, law enforcement is taught that Tasers are a "less lethal" tool, not non-lethal. Maybe you should take a Taser certification class and ride the lighting yourself....

2) Department policy dictates when it is acceptable to use compliance tools. The use of OC spray and Tasers have dramatically decreased officer injuries and job related disabilities by reducing hand to hand combat with non-compliant suspects. Simply put, Tasers save the lives of law enforcement more often than they cost the life of a non-compliant suspect.

3) You seem to have a real problem with campus cops and choose to paint them all with a very wide brush.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:07 AM

954 posts, read 1,281,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecovlke View Post
Isn't killing someone by accident manslaughter?
No, there has to be criminal negligence.

If the police officer in this instance was following procedure, he was not negligent.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:43 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
If the kid had shot and killed a cop would there even be a thread discussing it?
Nope, not enough grit for the bleeding hearts, the same ones that are destroying society.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
If the kid had shot and killed a cop would there even be a thread discussing it?
Nope, not enough grit for the bleeding hearts, the same ones that are destroying society.
I'm sorry that in the real world is not like back on the farm in Iowa. How about you just worry about picking corn and leave the internet to people who can handle technology.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:52 AM

1,081 posts, read 916,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I'm sorry that in the real world is not like back on the farm in Iowa. How about you just worry about picking corn and leave the internet to people who can handle technology.
Thats funny, I'd compare life experiences with you but that would be like beating up one of Jerry's Kids.
Now get off the computer, your dial-up connection is keeping your mom from calling you for a ride from the bar.

Old 08-11-2011, 03:41 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,894 times
Quote:
Thats funny, I'd compare life experiences with you but that would be like beating up one of Jerry's Kids.
Now get off the computer, your dial-up connection is keeping your mom from calling you for a ride from the bar.
So much for being taught manners. I wouldn't expect less from someone who thinks only education they need is how to plant corn.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:57 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,170,222 times
Default Rotflmao

Quote:
That was too funny, and has a ring of truth.

And in all seriousness, the person's previous response as an attempt to be denigrating, misses the mark entirely. At least planting corn is an honest job which provides, both viable and beneficial results for society, and in fact would indeed signify that your input to this conversation is one of intelligence and significance, being a person who brings a meaningful and useful contribution to society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies