Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2011, 07:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maja View Post
Probably true. Just no need to teach my kids that its something to be celebrated. Tolerated - yes. Celebrated - no.

BTW, about 30% success rate in changing sexual orientation with therapy. Not great; but still should remain an option for those interested.
You are incorrect. I can only imagine the source of your "success rate"
Home - Homobigots R Us or NARTH?

Read the APA's 2009 taskforce report on so-called "conversion", "reparative" (aka "pray away the gay") therapy.

Appropriate Therapeutic Responses to Sexual Orientation
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
How do we know those 30% are really changed?
They're not. The orientation and the attractions don't change. These so called ex-gays just try to live their lives pretending to be straight mostly for religious reasons. Until they can't live their lives lying to everyone anymore....

From Christian psychologist and researcher Warren Throckmorton:

New study: Sexual behavior changes but not sexual orientation — Warren Throckmorton

Old 08-10-2011, 07:36 AM

23,558 posts, read 17,232,713 times
need gay forum

Old 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtual Insanity View Post
We don't know if homsexuality is a choice or not, but if it was, then it would be unnatural and thus, the gay marriage argument would have no merit.

Who is this "we" you are referring to?

You might not "know", but millions of health professionals and hundreds of millions of gay people worldwide certainly DO know that sexual orientation is not a choice.

http://www.apa.org/helpcenter/sexual-orientation.aspx

Quote:
What causes a person to have a particular sexual orientation?

There are numerous theories about the origins of a person's sexual orientation. Most scientists today agree that sexual orientation is most likely the result of a complex interaction of environmental, cognitive and biological factors. In most people, sexual orientation is shaped at an early age. There is also considerable recent evidence to suggest that biology, including genetic or inborn hormonal factors, play a significant role in a person's sexuality.
Quote:
Is sexual orientation a choice?

No, human beings cannot choose to be either gay or straight. For most people, sexual orientation emerges in early adolescence without any prior sexual experience. Although we can choose whether to act on our feelings, psychologists do not consider sexual orientation to be a conscious choice that can be voluntarily changed.
Quote:
Can therapy change sexual orientation?

No; even though most homosexuals live successful, happy lives, some homosexual or bisexual people may seek to change their sexual orientation through therapy, often coerced by family members or religious groups to try and do so. The reality is that homosexuality is not an illness. It does not require treatment and is not changeable.

APA Unanimously Supports Gay Marriage

Aug 4th 2011
"The American Psychological Association, the world’s largest organization of psychologists, voted unanimously this week on a resolution to support same-sex marriage."

Last edited by Ceist; 08-10-2011 at 08:11 AM..

Old 08-10-2011, 08:03 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Congratulations to her, I hope she is very happy.

Who people love, and what they do behind closed doors is up to the consenting adults involved.

I have never heard a good explanation of when heterosexuals chose to be straight, so until that happens I'll continue with my belief that people are born with inherent attractions.

Why these conversations continue to be necessary and important is that there is much misinformation out there. Every negative, hurtful comment has the potential to devastate a young person struggling with societies continued negativity with what, to them is an innate attraction.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:36 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
Default Nobody is born Gay

Yeah I have some female relatives who thought they were Homosexual when they were young, they grew up and all married men have kids and such, it was like a fad they grew out of it.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:46 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
WNBA Sheryl Swoopes Engaged To A Man

Some People try to argue me down that people are "born" gay. That it's not a choice. I guess they are wrong.
Interesting since first hand experiencers called gay people (you know, the only people on earth who would have enough experience to know) say that being gay is NOT chosen. I'll take first hand sources of info over just opinions.

Also, I'm gay and i NEVER chose to be gay, actually coming to terms with the fact that I AM gay was the HARDEST thing to ever do, and afterwards telling family and friends was very very difficult. I would have given anything to be straight.

So basically you just spit on my whole life and my years of anguish to justify your ignorant worldview.

pretty sick.

Also, how does it feel to be proven wrong by a first hand source.. and now that you've been proven wrong... are you going to apologize to me and other gay people for lying about the reality of our situations to others?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:53 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
Interesting since first hand experiencers called gay people (you know, the only people on earth who would have enough experience to know) say that being gay is NOT chosen. I'll take first hand sources of info over just opinions.

Also, I'm gay and i NEVER chose to be gay, actually coming to terms with the fact that I AM gay was the HARDEST thing to ever do, and afterwards telling family and friends was very very difficult. I would have given anything to be straight.

So basically you just spit on my whole life and my years of anguish to justify your ignorant worldview.

pretty sick.

Also, how does it feel to be proven wrong by a first hand source.. and now that you've been proven wrong... are you going to apologize to me and other gay people for lying about the reality of our situations to others?
I'm not calling you a pedophile. Please understand this.

I am asking you why you feel your behavior should be considered "normal" when anyone else that has abnormal desires or urges should be considered wrong or immoral. That includes pedophiles, alcoholics, compulsive gamblers, etc.

Old 08-10-2011, 08:56 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,566,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

I am asking you why you feel your behavior should be considered "normal" when anyone else that has abnormal desires or urges should be considered wrong or immoral. That includes pedophiles, alcoholics, compulsive gamblers, etc.
You would call a loving relationship between two consenting adults "abnormal"?

Old 08-10-2011, 08:57 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,575,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post

What is it that has to do with being born gay that is immoral? and are you equating a sexual orientation (a trait, one that you have too) with gambling and alcohol? that makes absolutely no sense. It's like saying that having blonde hair is immoral and is like an 'addiction'.

I'm gay, you're straight. morality has NOTHING TO DO with it. homosexuality is not a 'behavior'. I'm gay and 34. I've dated ONE person in my WHOLE LIFE and I came out at age 26. before this i was celibate my whole life. Can YOU claim to be as sexually moral as I AM? Why do you think there are double standards? gay people run the gamit from being celibate to being extremely promiscuous to anywhere in between JUST like straight people. My sexual orientation wasn't chosen and neither was yours.

Also, i cant believe that you even equate pedophilia with alcholoism, since pedophilia is ILLEGAL and has to do with someone raping a child. Wow, you know you could use your mind and try to think about why different things are different.

For example giving money to charity is not the same as punching someone in the face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies