Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,055,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Our economy is suffering because people can't find work due to lack of skills and expertise. We no longer live in an economy where the average Joe can obtain economic merits without education or a skill. If people today get a chance to go to school or get training, we would see massive economic growth in our country. This is why our government should give out more grants.
You have one thing right. People can't find work because they lack skill and expertise.

But it's not because of our government, it's because they are not smart enough to find out how to make a living on their own. All the education in the world won't help if you don't know how to use it.

Government grants and funding don't mean a thing without the smarts to go along with it because you will still be broke after you spend that money.

busta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:33 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
A man I know was laid off...he immediately signed up for schooling,

THANK YOU TO OBAMA'S Program!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

graduated this year after a tough two years, he's now looking for work with his new skills.

No one is going to come knocking on your door to help you....place a phone call....the schooling with employment compensation is there...thanks to Obama.
These programs have been in place for decades. "Thanks to Obama" ????? But yes, the programs are there . . . most are titled something along the lines of "displaced worker" programs, and are typically funded w/ state and fed. funds - and often, info is through the state's Employment Security Commission. Some are "back to work" programs, and are in conjunction w/ employers who hire people after they finish their degrees. The problem is - those employers no longer have the jobs to offer when people finish up their degrees.

But Obama did not create these "back to work" programs, lol.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:35 AM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
I can't believe in this day and age of information, there are those who still believe government knows best.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:36 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Our economy is suffering because people can't find work due to lack of skills and expertise. We no longer live in an economy where the average Joe can obtain economic merits without education or a skill. If people today get a chance to go to school or get training, we would see massive economic growth in our country. This is why our government should give out more grants.
42 Federal job training programs isn't enough for liberals. They want 43.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:54 AM

Location: Currently I physically reside on the 3rd planet from the sun
2,220 posts, read 1,879,148 times
Quote:
I completely disagree with your premise and believe it is based upon a change in the way we think and see opportunity. Our country/government has created a society of workers. Our goal is to have a "job".

We used to be a country of "do-ers".

We used to create opportunities for ourselves and SMALL business has always been the driving force of our economy. Government has on one hand constantly pandered to BIG business, giving them the breaks and opportunities while continuously tying the hands of small business through legislation, regulation and taxes.

The "reasoning" behind the Feds crackdown on the Marijuana Industry operating within state law and regulation is that the suppliers were making too much money - what business is it of the Fed how much money you make other than if enough of us are independent of government handouts we become a threat to government control.

Come on people, do you really want to be beholden to whatever BTurd currently resides at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? Do you really want to be a nation of children dependent upon a national mommy? Do you really want government telling you to wear your helmet? Buckle your seatbelt? just like mommy used to tell you to take your coat? Wear your boots?

I'm not against common sense and safety but my mother no longer tells me what to do as an adult - I can think for myself and really don't need government doing it for me. As for those who do need government to think for them, I don't think it is worth the price of putting us all under the national nanny for the few.

I know I'm ranting a bit here but really people think about it. Our first response to a problem is to look to government to fix it for us? To throw money at it? News Flash - just throwing money at problems does not fix them or make them go away. It might make us feel better, might make us feel like we're doing something, but if money solved problems - with a 14 Trillion dollar budget - we shouldn't have any problems in the world.

BTW - Your "throw more money at higher education" idea supports a racket. The piece of paper you pay 10s or even 100s of thousands of dollars for is like an admittance ticket - with this ticket you get to play. However with the quality of education today, it's like our money, it has no intrinsic value and no longer represents anything of value.

I work in IT and trust me, my college degree is not what got me in the field or keeps me competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies