Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,730,417 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Even many of the most conservatives judges on the bench now wouldn't rule social security unconstitutional.

No risk of ending social security. And over 70% of Americans support it. Even if it were declared unconstitutional, an amendment would be passed PDQ that would make it constitutional.
The Supreme Koch is bought and paid for, and Perry believes that Social Security and Medicare are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. He could simply issue an executive order refusing to pay them and the Koch Brothers could make a few calls to their employees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:39 AM

89,291 posts, read 45,002,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If you earn minimum wage, taking 15 - 20% out of your paycheck is going to hurt you big time.
Any income tax hurts, big time. It's money not there to pay for a college education, so rapacious student loans must be taken out. It's money not there for a down payment on a house, so we got those ridiculous no/low money down mortgages that are defaulting which added to the financial collapse. I could go on...

The rest of us have been paying for decades. Flat tax. Earn little; pay little. Earn A LOT; pay A LOT.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,530,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Perry also believes Social Security and Medicare are UNCONSTITUTIONAL.
That means as President he would challenge the to the Supreme KOCH
oh please

the fact is they cant be supported the way they currently are..they need to be REFORMED

SS was set up when the average life span was 64....well our life spans have expanded to past 80 now...just maybe the smart idea would be to raise the age that you start drawing full comp....it just makes sense....but liberal love being able to LIE about how repubs want to put granny in the street

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,475,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
the fairtax redistributes income from renters to homeowners.

under the fairtax, when a renter and a homeowner have equal spending, the renter pays more tax than the homeowner and also enjoys less consumption.
What? How did you come to that conclusion?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
The Supreme Koch is bought and paid for, and Perry believes that Social Security and Medicare are UNCONSTITUTIONAL. He could simply issue an executive order refusing to pay them and the Koch Brothers could make a few calls to their employees.
TROLL much...????? getting paid by the supreme soros????

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,976,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Like I said, logic and liberalism are like oil and water.

The Tea Party wants everyone to contribute, especially those who make it a habit of using government resources year after year. You can't lower someone's taxes when they pay no taxes.
Please explain to this 'illogical liberal' the logic of increasing taxes on a waitress making $20,000 a year, who has little or no disposable income left at the end of the year, while arguing to the death why hedge fund managers making billions should have their salaries taxed at the 15% capital gains rate and be allowed a special deduction on their private jets?

I patiently await your wisdom and logic.

From my 'illogical' viewpoint, the waitress is the one we should be giving tax breaks, not the multi-billionaires.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Because consumers have unequal access to better prices, a consumption tax would merely redistribute income from those who pay high prices to those who pay low prices.

I buy and sell things (in a niche market) regularly, and it's obvious how easy it is to not report income, but I can also see how easy it is to avoid a consumption tax. Let's say I buy something for $10 cash and sell it for $20 cash. What tax collector is going to know whether I am reporting that sale (and the ensuing remittance of the sales tax) accurately? I deal mostly with repeat customers, so if I were dishonest I could underreport sales to them and accurately report sales to new customers (because to cover my rear I must consider the possibility their purchase might be a sting to catch tax cheats).
What in the world are you even talking about? Everyone has the same access to products of ALL price ranges.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
What? How did you come to that conclusion?
because he didnt bother to READ....

Americans For Fair Taxation: Americans For Fair Taxation

take a look... give it a read..do some RESEARCH..you might even find it will work

Old 08-16-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Yeah, tax the single mom who makes $7.25 an hour, that will generate tons of revenue.

There's a reason 50% of people don't pay taxes, they can't afford it. A person making $2 million a year can afford to pay. The wealthy don't need more tax cuts, they're given everything in life on a silver platter anyway.
Awwwwww. Poor baby, doesn't have enough in life and it's NOT FAIR!

Old 08-16-2011, 07:44 AM

943 posts, read 784,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomzoom3 View Post
Yeah, tax the single mom who makes $7.25 an hour, that will generate tons of revenue.

There's a reason 50% of people don't pay taxes, they can't afford it. A person making $2 million a year can afford to pay. The wealthy don't need more tax cuts, they're given everything in life on a silver platter anyway.

Thank you. A voice of reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies