Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:59 PM

28,890 posts, read 30,260,062 times

Advertisements

For years I have tried to spark a chord in the minds of people on the subject of child abuse. Whenever I try to bring up the subject, people seem to develop this blank stare on their faces as if I don’t exist, or as if I didn’t just bring up the subject. Why is it, our society goes against fat people, smokers, but they will not march to protect the innocence of our children, is beyond me. And the idea of suing, to me is not an answer. I don’t think there is any amount of money that can bring back a child’s trust and innocence.

But, what can be done is to get these repeated offenders off the streets for good. Did you know that there is a very low percentage of these people that can be rehabilitated? If someone has a disease you cure it, don’t you? …well, you cannot cure sexual a rapist…so my question is, when are we all going to have enough and say, our country needs to spend the money to build bigger prisons and put these people away from society for good? Because our prisons are over crowed, but that is another subject.

Has anyone here been violated sexually as a child, and if so, doesn’t it outrage you that our society can attack smokers, overweight people but not take that energy and do good by our children. We are the adults here, and in my way of thinking, our children are exactly that…OUR CHILDREN…and we need to take responsibility for them.

What church in the U.S. preaches against this and tells their congregations that child sexual abuse is wrong?

I’m sorry and I apologize if I offend anyone, but this really upsets me…I can’t for the life of me understand how and why people don’t unit for the good of our communities and for the safety of our children. Is there a group that has organized (like MAD) that I might not know about.

I’m really interested to see how many responses I get to this thread…
Or is it more important to discuss how we like to kiss intimately? Does this upset anyone else? Why are people (our society) ignoring this sickness running rapid in our communities?

Thanks to all of you for at least reading.

Creme
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2007, 04:16 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Default Clarification

Are you referring to child abuse or child molestation? These are two very different issue. It appears from the body of your posting you are discussing removing molesters from society. Is this true?

If you are discussing molesters, what would you propose to do, a death penalty?
Life without parole?

Old 07-17-2007, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Are you referring to child abuse or child molestation? These are two very different issue. It appears from the body of your posting you are discussing removing molesters from society. Is this true?

If you are discussing molesters, what would you propose to do, a death penalty?
Life without parole?
I was referring to both, but mostly sexual abuse so I suppse we should keep this thread on one subject...yes, child sexual molesters.

Well, I'm open for suggestions...I would say, if someone abuses a child, once, then they don't deserve to be a part of society and they should be put away for good.

I do know that there are some, that can be rehabilitated...my son is a police officer...but the percentages of rehabilitation is very low. And most sexual abusers are repeated offenders.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:22 PM

982 posts, read 3,306,830 times
I think you're right, and this is a good topic.

If people get a blank stare, maybe it's because they don't know what in the world to think, other than the idea scares the hell out of them and they feel there's not much they can do. Unless they knew for sure it was happening. The whole idea is so disgusting, it's difficult to fathom.

From what little I know - and maybe I'm wrong - children in these situations are scared to speak up, then nothing really comes out until they're older.

If there is an organization like MADD, I'm not aware of it. If you find one, please share.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsengle View Post
I think you're right, and this is a good topic.

If people get a blank stare, maybe it's because they don't know what in the world to think, other than the idea scares the hell out of them and they feel there's not much they can do. Unless they knew for sure it was happening. The whole idea is so disgusting, it's difficult to fathom.

From what little I know - and maybe I'm wrong - children in these situations are scared to speak up, then nothing really comes out until they're older.

If there is an organization like MADD, I'm not aware of it. If you find one, please share.
Very good response, thank you...and yes, the idea may scare them...but whose more fallen to prey, them or our children

and yes, a lot of children do not speak up, but what about those who have been caught? There are loads of people out there free who are repeated offenders...

have you ever gone into Megan's Law or Dogwatch and typed in your area and looked at who lives in your town who are free and are repeated offenders.

I mean if they can ban smoking why can't they do something more to protect our children?

I think, this should be an embarrasement on society...one child hurt is one child to many?

I know Opra trys very hard to bring this subject to life...

I just feel so very bad for the children, and wish with my heart, that people would wake up....we are in our own little plastic protective bubbles that we've created for ourselves and refuse to go beyond the boundaries and face reality....?????

Just my thoughts, thanks for discussing

Old 07-17-2007, 04:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,213,099 times
Tough to get much of a discussion going on this topic in my view. I doubt anyone is going to come out and side with being lenient on convicted child molesters.

There is a National Center for Missing or Exploited Children:

[url=http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cid/cac/ncmec.htm]Federal Bureau of Investigation -Investigative Programs Crimes Against Children - National Center for Missing and Exploited Children[/url

I also found a document with a detailed FBI analysis of the issue, if you are interested in research in the area:

http://www.safeharborresources.org/LanningBook.pdf

Old 07-17-2007, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Tough to get much of a discussion going on this topic in my view. I doubt anyone is going to come out and side with being lenient on convicted child molesters.

There is a National Center for Missing or Exploited Children:

Federal Bureau of Investigation -Investigative Programs Crimes Against Children - National Center for Missing and Exploited Children (broken link)

Yes, your right, but I figure I'll keep on plugging, cuz somewhere along the line, people have to stop thinking more about our children and less about themselves....I've tried bringing this up on several sites and no one seems to bother....

Well, thanks so very much for the link, but until we get people attention and get them good and mad about this, there will be another child sexually molested in another few minutes.

Thanks so much for caring.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:32 PM

7,381 posts, read 7,691,789 times
Bill O'Reilly has done much to get Jessica's Law passed by State legislatures. By requiring mandantory sentences for offenders, we can provide a disincentive for the molesters to act out their desires.

Old 07-17-2007, 05:48 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,898,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Does this upset anyone else? Why are people (our society) ignoring this sickness running rapid in our communities?
Many people (doctors, lawyers, car salesmen, UAW workers ... half of the Republican congressional delegation....) are too busy beating their spouses to worry much about the children.

Old 07-17-2007, 07:13 PM

4,410 posts, read 6,137,305 times
Despite being molested myself, I cannot categorically blame the molesters and propose they be locked up. Many times the victimizers were victimized. That doesn't absolve them of their actions, but I think we need to realize we are all human and not everything we encounter is consciously chosen. The real blame in my mind falls onto our society at large. We all share in allowing such things to happen.

I believe this stuff happens because we are basically all distracted. We think our careers, our possessions, our standing in society, all of these things are important. They aren't. The most important role anyone will play will be that of a parent. For those like myself who don't have children (I'm gay so I won't be having any in this life), our most important job is that of impacting children in constructive ways. While most people might agree somewhat with this assessment, it only appears to work in theory. In practice--at least in our culture--it's extremely difficult to devote our time to our children, to give them the attention they need to grow into maturity. You'd think this failure would be a great incentive to change our ways, but, sadly, we have accepted the notion that other things are more important. Our greedy natures, fostered by years of subliminal advertising that have resulted in destructive consumerism, take precedence over our future generations.

Most people think that molesters are strangers, but they are not. It's usually a family member or close friend. The problem isn't external to the family, it's internal. That's why my focus on the problem is directed at family issues.

I never really felt comfortable being around young children. I couldn't relate to them and that always saddened me. When I had a nephew, my world changed. I realized that absolutely everything I did around him was of extreme importance. I had to become keenly self-aware of what I was doing because this little boy's eyes and ears were picking EVERYTHING up! It was a great learning experience. Now, when I'm in the presence of children, I make sure that what I'm doing will convey exactly the kind of message I think a child would need to hear. My job is to help them in every moment. I cannot let my guard down because the duty is just too important.

Ridding our culture of this kind of behavior would require an extensive change to how we currently operate. If you were to suddenly list the top 3 things you'd like to do or have, what would they be? Would it be something materialistic? Would you want the highest-paying job? Many would answer that way, but I think a lot would want the simpler things: to be near loved ones, to spend time with their kids, to work in or nearer the home, to grow food in their garden, etc. If we focus on these things that actually matter we have a much better chance of creating a society where molestation (and violent crime, etc) would have a hard time taking root.

Placing people in prisons has never worked before, there's no reason to believe it will now. Unseen and unheard doesn't solve problems. While my view might be idealistic, I see no reason not to think big. One day soon we'll have the opportunity to reinvent our world. Will it be just like this one, or will be start off with..."and now for something completely different"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies