Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 08:35 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The Court used Section 1 of the Fourteen Amendment to justify their argument, which reads: Amendment XIV Section 1. "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws." By using the Constitution in such a manner, the Court argues that the Due Process Clause extends “certain personal choices central to individual dignity and autonomy” accepted in a majority of states across the state lines of a handful of states that still banned the practice. - See more at: Constitutional Rights PAC | SCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity
Quote:
The vast majority of states are “shall issue” on the matter of issuing concealed carry permits, and enjoy reciprocity with a large number of other states. My North Carolina concealed carry permit, for example, was recognized yesterday as being valid in 36 states, which just so happened to be the number of states in which gay marriage was legal yesterday. But 14 states did not recognize my concealed carry permit yesterday. Today they must. Using the same “due process clause” argument as the Supreme Court just applied to gay marriage, my concealed carry permit must now be recognized as valid in all 50 states and the District of Columbia. I’ll be driving through the District of Columbia, Maryland, New Jersey, and New York in several weeks, places that until yesterday I did not have a legal right to concealed carry. As of today, with this decision, it would seem that these states and the District must honor my concealed carry permit, or violate my constitutional rights under the 14th and Second Amendment.
Interesting article and point. Will this ruling pave the way for nationwide concealed carry reciprocity? Will it finally ensure that the citizens of all states have the full opportunity to exercise their civil rights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 08:43 AM

17,431 posts, read 14,663,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Interesting article and point. Will this ruling pave the way for nationwide concealed carry reciprocity? Will it finally ensure that the citizens of all states have the full opportunity to exercise their civil rights?

I hope so.

But I do think there is a technicality and most states (if not all - too lazy to check tbh) refer to their license to carry a concealed weapon as "permits" not licenses.

Silly little thing to get hung up on, but that's a question for the courts I would suppose.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:17 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,717,554 times
Oh it's coming by way of a few California based carry lawsuits currently winding their way through the 9th.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:28 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,175,515 times
Quote:
No. Remember two days ago they admitted the law said one thing but ruled another way because they wanted to.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:48 AM

2,014 posts, read 1,529,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
No. Remember two days ago they admitted the law said one thing but ruled another way because they wanted to.
Exactly, you can't expect consistency or logic from this bunch, it's all about the agenda.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:54 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Default SCOTUS Ruling On Same-Sex Marriage Mandates Nationwide Concealed Carry Reciprocity

Quote:
I'd certainly welcome that outcome. A concealed carry license should be recognized universally, just like a driver's license is.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:55 AM

4,571 posts, read 3,522,129 times
Careful, I started a topic yesterday saying, essentially, the same thing and it was locked. Maybe it wasn't controversial enough.

Old 06-27-2015, 09:59 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Careful what you wish for. If the Supreme Court takes up the gun issue they be forced to rule on what the Founding Father meant by a "well regulated militia" and you might not like the outcome.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:02 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Careful what you wish for. If the Supreme Court takes up the gun issue they be forced to rule on what the Founding Father meant by "well regulated militia" and you might not like the outcome.
They have already ruled on that.

Old 06-27-2015, 10:04 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Careful what you wish for. If the Supreme Court takes up the gun issue they be forced to rule on what the Founding Father meant by a "well regulated militia" and you might not like the outcome.
A caveat if there ever was one!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies