Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 12:36 PM

329 posts, read 267,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

1) The entire model of climate change due to "Greenhouse Effect" is actually an unproven theory itself, AND, the real data being measured doesn't even fit the propsed theory. According to the "Greenhouse" model, there should be significant warming in the troposphere as an indicator of greenhouse warming ... and that is not what is being measured.

2) Ice core samples show that CO2 has never caused warming to occur before .... not once in hundreds of thousands of years of climate record data.... the relationship between Temperature and CO2 has been consistent in that rising CO2 levels have always occurred long after a warming cycle.

3) Ice core records show a multitude of warming and cooling events which routinely occur in cycles, and show past events when both temperature and CO2 levels were higher than they are today. Given the lack of industrial activity and the rarity of SUVs prior to the 20th century , something other than that must have caused those warming events.

4) Global Warming trends witnessed here on earth have also been occurring on the other planets in our solar system. In absence of some evidence of industrial activity on Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc., it is a safe assumption that something external is causing those planets to warm. Given the fact that this warming is occurring simultaneously with the warming on earth, the most reasonable hypothesis is that what ever is causing these other planets to warm is also the cause of the warming of earth.

Cut:Generic conspiracy rant
# 1 comes in at 49 in the skepticalscience hit parade
There's no tropospheric hot spot

#2 comes in at 12
CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?

#3 comes in, at, yes I do believe we have a winner, NUMBER 1
What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

#4 comes in at a frankly disappointing 27 and 40
Global warming on Mars, ice caps melting

Global warming on other planets in the solar system

You can find all the myths here: Arguments from Global Warming Skeptics and what the science really says

Do yourself and us a favour and look at them before posting in future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 12:54 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

4) Global Warming trends witnessed here on earth have also been occurring on the other planets in our solar system. In absence of some evidence of industrial activity on Mars, Venus, Jupiter, etc., it is a safe assumption that something external is causing those planets to warm. Given the fact that this warming is occurring simultaneously with the warming on earth, the most reasonable hypothesis is that what ever is causing these other planets to warm is also the cause of the warming of earth. .
In regards to Venus, green house gases are to blame; it's atmosphere is mainly composed of CO2 (Venus is hotter than Mercury despite the fact that it's farther away). Venus is the planet with the most volcanoes in the solar system, which may have had an effect in the past. Scientists have also mentioned that Venus once looked like Earth but that it's oceans evaporated adding more green house gases to the atmosphere. It's proximity to the sun may have caused this evaporation; though I don't think that would be an issue with Earth since the magnetic field and ozone layer manage to keep us safe (for now, Earth is vulnerable during Magnetic pole reversals).

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,986,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
Your logic is faulty. If A causes B, then that cannot prove that B does not cause A.

I go into the garden: the neighbour's dog barks. According to your logic if the neighbour's dog barks, I can't go into the garden to see why he's barking.

For a more detailed look: CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?
The warming trend started in about 1730. At this time the amount of CO2 released by human activity was small, (today we are burning 1 cubic mile of oil a year and that doesn’t include the coal). The amount of CO2 then was inside of the background noise of the environment. So the start of the warming trend was not man, unless it was something like soot painting the snow black. The temperature rise is being stated as being consistent from the 1880’s until now.

If the start wasn’t man then the rest wasn’t him as well.

Old 09-08-2011, 01:45 PM

6,570 posts, read 6,735,059 times
Global warming alarmists belong to a cult, period.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM

15,063 posts, read 8,625,891 times
Quote:
# 1 comes in at 49 in the skepticalscience hit parade
There's no tropospheric hot spot

#2 comes in at 12
CO2 lags temperature - what does it mean?

#3 comes in, at, yes I do believe we have a winner, NUMBER 1
What does past climate change tell us about global warming?

#4 comes in at a frankly disappointing 27 and 40
Global warming on Mars, ice caps melting

Global warming on other planets in the solar system

You can find all the myths here: Arguments from Global Warming Skeptics and what the science really says

Do yourself and us a favour and look at them before posting in future.
Do us a favor and reserve your Myth Busting Web Skeptic site for those on the underside of the IQ average (which frighteningly appears to be under 95 these days). For those in the triple digit category, such nonsense is totally unimpressive.

As an example, here is what your "myth busters" say about the Temperature-CO2 lag time from the link you posted:

"The only conclusion that can be reached from the observed lag between CO2 and temperatures in the past 400,000 years is that CO2 did not initiate the shifts towards interglacials. To understand current climate change, scientists have looked at many factors, such as volcanic activity and solar variability, and concluded that CO2 and other greenhouse gases are the most likely factor driving current climate change."

Translated into plain English ... CO2 was never the cause of global warming over the past 400,000 years, but it is now, and you should believe us, because we use fancy phrases like "shifts toward interglacials" rather than layman terms like "global warming periods".

The facts are, this confirms what I previously stated ... that climate record data shows that CO2 has NEVER CAUSED GLOBAL WARMING BEFORE. The only difference is that your myth buster carbon crazies believe that an unprecedented and total 180 degree reversal of the relationship between temperature and CO2 is somehow the most likely conclusion now, whereas I and many other sane folks recognize double talk when we see it. We believe that it is far more likely that given the rather long track record of the Sun rising in the east and setting in the west, this pattern is unlikely to reverse itself no matter how many fairytales and hobgoblin stories are dreamed up to claim otherwise.

And there are other ironclad reasons for rejecting this nonsense other than Hundreds of Thousands of years of historical climate evidence ... the atmospheric CO2 regulating action of the Oceans which was also defined accurately by your myth busters, show just how that Temperature-CO2 relationship is managed, and that too precludes the necessary reversal to make CO2 the cause of warming. The Oceans absorb more CO2 when cold, and release more CO2 when warmer. The 800 year lag time is because it takes a lot of warming and a lot of time to raise the Ocean temps to the levels where they release that trapped CO2. There is no "feedback loop" ... this is another example of double talk attempting to prove a fallacy, which is impossible, unless you're dealing with someone very gullible.

Given the 800 year lag time, today's increases in atmospheric CO2 is likely a result of warming that occurred .... wait for it .... roughly 800 years ago. And what happened 800 years ago? Oh yes ... the Medieval Warm Period which occurred between 900-1200 AD ... or roughly 800 years ago. Imagine that!! What a coincidence!

I won't waste my time dispatching the other "answers" provided, as they are similarly sophomoric in nature, and coming from the same exact source .... a group of environmentalists who are desperately trying to keep the AGW ball in the air, otherwise they might have to start washing cars for a living the moment everyone wises up to the Global Warming Scam.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:24 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,446,315 times
As far as I am concerned, the lesser-48 is already uninhabitable, and it has nothing to do with the climate.

Old 09-08-2011, 08:43 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,026,355 times
Damm yankees came down here with all that pollutin industry. all the farms and plantations were replaced with factories and textile mills. the best old growth trees cut down. called progress by some

Old 09-08-2011, 09:09 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,302,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Damm yankees came down here with all that pollutin industry. all the farms and plantations were replaced with factories and textile mills. the best old growth trees cut down. called progress by some
Yeah, cut down all the hard wood, replace everything with Pine trees, dry up the wet lands, and then wonder why we have so many fires.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:22 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:

Seems to me that a whole heap of them arrows are pointing up.
The point is not whether it goes up or down. It goes up on most stations since records started, at a very slow and predictable rate. Same thing with those going down, a slow and predictable rate. Yu could just about time your watch to the rise of all in sea levels from those records over more than 1 1/2 century.

Old 09-08-2011, 10:33 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,032,070 times
Quote:
BTW what was his alleged crime: failing to comply with FOI requests properly?

And this somehow has a meaningful effect on AGW?
What's the reason for denying them?

-----------

I'll leave you with one of my favorite quotes from harry_readme.txt....

Quote:
http://www.anenglishmanscastle.com/HARRY_READ_ME.txt
OH **** THIS. It's Sunday evening, I've worked all weekend, and just when I thought it was done I'm hitting yet another problem that's based on the hopeless state of our databases. There is no uniform data integrity, it's just a catalogue of issues that continues to grow as they're found.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies