Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 11:01 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,133,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
In any occurrence of the magnitude of 9/11 it is important that the people of the city know that the leader is alive, well, and in charge to the extent that Giuliani could have been at that time. This is done through the media.
O'Donnell chooses to see this as some kind of an ego thing. That's his malfunction.

O'Donnell also seems to think that Giuliani should have known that the building next to the WTC towers would be destroyed in the next attack that Giuliani apparently should have known was imminent. In addition, Why on earth would it be a good idea that the OEM be located in Brooklyn?
It's great when you can criticize someone years after the fact.

And the WTC was named Ground Zero on 9/11 and not a minute before that! Just because some a-hole from the Village Voice says it does make it so. Nice fact checking there MSNBC
Guiliani was advised not to have the headquarters there way before the attacks. The close proximity of downtown Brooklyn to the city is ideal and NYC would be the target of an attack (a building across the street from the site of the 1993 terrorist bombing that killed six people), as opposed to Brooklyn.

Last edited by sickofnyc; 08-31-2011 at 11:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 11:04 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well that certainly isn't true.
I think it was. He showed up to speak at our memorial after 9/11 and some of the NY people were annoyed that he was even there. He was never MY mayor, so I just thought he was a joke and an idiot with the whole mistress thing on the cover of the Daily News thing, but a lot of New Yorkers truly disliked him.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM

88,590 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
he was only hated because he cleaned up the city

teachers hated him, because he wanted then to do their jobs

cops hated him, because he wanted them to do their jobs

I loved the fact that he cleaned up the mess of mayor appeasement (dinkins)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightflight View Post
Guliani's real heroism comes from rescuing New York from Dinkins.
LOL, well there WAS that.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I think it was. He showed up to speak at our memorial after 9/11 and some of the NY people were annoyed that he was even there. He was never MY mayor, so I just thought he was a joke and an idiot with the whole mistress thing on the cover of the Daily News thing, but a lot of New Yorkers truly disliked him.
I liked him...think he did a geat job cleaning up my city...some of his tactitcs were a little harsh..but they worked...I also liked Ed Koch(looked like Frank Perdue)....dinkins killed the city...Guilani fixed dinkins( the appeasement mayor) mess

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,772,037 times
and anyone that would make such a claim should be told to keep his mouth shut. Of course coming from Lawrence, most intelligent people will blow it off.

Nita

Old 08-31-2011, 11:33 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,529,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
He didn't do anything above and beyond that any other mayor should do. It's sad when we exalt someone to iconic status for doing what they were supposed to do.
It's even worse when we ignore what they didn't do, yet know they should have done. Guiliani cost people their lives by not moving his command center OUT of the WTC and not having the proper radio communications in place.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:38 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Well you and your pals may have disliked him, but he was certainly a popular mayor prior to 9/11.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:40 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
Giuliani performed well, but the real heroes of 9/11 were NYC's emergency responders who risked/gave their lives in the line of duty.
I think there were a number of heroes that day, including Rudy.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:44 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Quote:
It amuses me, in a dark sort of way, how so many people made Giuliani a hero after 9/11--IN THE REST OF THE COUNTRY--when he was one of the most-hated mayors ever in his own city before the attacks took place.
Yes, no one in the south had heard of him before that... but if her were to run for potus, he's too "I-talian" to get the vote of the south

Old 08-31-2011, 11:46 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
He didn't do anything above and beyond that any other mayor should do. It's sad when we exalt someone to iconic status for doing what they were supposed to do.
I would put his actions against Nagen of New Orleans ANY day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies