Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 03:00 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times

Advertisements

I really don't understand the need for people to get in the way of adults making an adult decision. I assume they know what they want. And if opposition reasons are religious, then all the more reason to stay out of the equation. Don't believe in them, don't have them.

Greatday: I do. (know people who have used abortion as birth control)

And several who have had a number of abortions as birth control.

My wife is a "shrink" - she has had a number of patients who used abortion as birth control - and later regretted it.

This would be the exception rather than the rule. An example or two would not make it the rule. It is still a LEGAL procedure in the US; the woman can still make her choice at this time. Of course it's a difficult decision for any woman to make. There's no need to falsely extrapolate that since a client or so of you wife was a moron that all women are going to behave in the same way. That's quite disingenuous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 03:14 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I really don't understand the need for people to get in the way of adults making an adult decision. I assume they know what they want. And if opposition reasons are religious, then all the more reason to stay out of the equation. Don't believe in them, don't have them.

Greatday: I do. (know people who have used abortion as birth control)

And several who have had a number of abortions as birth control.

My wife is a "shrink" - she has had a number of patients who used abortion as birth control - and later regretted it.

This would be the exception rather than the rule. An example or two would not make it the rule. It is still a LEGAL procedure in the US; the woman can still make her choice at this time. Of course it's a difficult decision for any woman to make. There's no need to falsely extrapolate that since a client or so of you wife was a moron that all women are going to behave in the same way. That's quite disingenuous.
It's no less disingenuous to argue that every air-headed twit should be able to abort her baby because she feels like it and it's legal to do so. Legal and moral are two totally different concepts. O.J. is legally innocent of murdering two people; it's legal to smoke cigarettes; talking on a cellphone while driving is legal in most states. None of these facts impacts us directly (unless we tick off OJ at a party, breathe in second-hand smoke, or have the bad luck to be crossing the street when a multitasker gesticulates), but the ethical consequences of each impacts our society and culture in important ways, and involves us all, whether we like it or not, in delineating the difference between what is right and what is wrong.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:38 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,966,003 times
O.J. is legally innocent of murdering two people; it's legal to smoke cigarettes; talking on a cellphone while driving is legal in most states. None of these facts impacts us directly (unless we tick off OJ at a party, breathe in second-hand smoke, or have the bad luck to be crossing the street when a multitasker gesticulates), but the ethical consequences of each impacts our society

I, for one, do not feel ethically impacted by my neighbor's decision to abort. If she had the child and decided to place the burdon of rearing it on society's back, I would feel that in my taxes. It is better, in my mind, to pay taxes for abortions rather than pay for a child until it reaches adulthood.

Also, I have met women who had mental health issues by deciding not to abort, and to have the thing adopted.
I have met mothers who have kept their little darlings and said to me, repeatedly, they should never have had children.
We are not beasts of burden and our minds can, to some extent, control our destinies and our bodies. We no longer have to slave in fields for our food, we have the marvel of electricity to enable us to stay up half the night reading, and we can choose not to bear children.
If there were a foolproof and inexpensive (or taxpayer sponsored) method of sterilizing every young girl or guy that could be easily reversed later, then this would hardly be an issue.
The idea of making abortion illegal is punishing a woman for having sex, it reminds me of years back when a husband could punish his wife for not performing her 'wifely duties'.
Both are barbaric thoughts.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
O.J. is legally innocent of murdering two people; it's legal to smoke cigarettes; talking on a cellphone while driving is legal in most states. None of these facts impacts us directly (unless we tick off OJ at a party, breathe in second-hand smoke, or have the bad luck to be crossing the street when a multitasker gesticulates), but the ethical consequences of each impacts our society

I, for one, do not feel ethically impacted by my neighbor's decision to abort. If she had the child and decided to place the burdon of rearing it on society's back, I would feel that in my taxes. It is better, in my mind, to pay taxes for abortions rather than pay for a child until it reaches adulthood.

That's your opinion, and you're certainly entitled to it. There is always the chance, however, that your neighbor would love and nurture her child, and that society would benefit when the resulting adult became a credit to us all and lived a full and happy life. But abortion takes away that possibility.

Also, I have met women who had mental health issues by deciding not to abort, and to have the thing adopted.
I have met mothers who have kept their little darlings and said to me, repeatedly, they should never have had children.

Maybe now they say something different. People can always change -- unless they're aborted.

We are not beasts of burden and our minds can, to some extent, control our destinies and our bodies. We no longer have to slave in fields for our food, we have the marvel of electricity to enable us to stay up half the night reading, and we can choose not to bear children.

No one is arguing otherwise.

If there were a foolproof and inexpensive (or taxpayer sponsored) method of sterilizing every young girl or guy that could be easily reversed later, then this would hardly be an issue.

Indeed. A radical idea, but an idea, nonetheless.

The idea of making abortion illegal is punishing a woman for having sex, it reminds me of years back when a husband could punish his wife for not performing her 'wifely duties'.
Both are barbaric thoughts.

Men who punish their wives over sex are indeed acting like barbarians. But a society which countenances the wholesale slaughter of millions of unborn children, and denies itslef all the hope and potential that they bring -- at least partially in the name of a fatuous and clinical legalism -- is no less barbaric.

Old 11-28-2007, 04:08 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,346,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Ok, to get back on topic what should happen to a woman who gets an abortion should it be banned. A fine? prison time? Sterilization? And what about the person giving the abortion? Should that person face significant punishment. And what about the man who caused the pregnancy that led to an abortion? Is he supposed to get off scotch free or not?
My original post included the man.

Punishment...sterilization for both the man and woman, then they won't have to worry about it ever agian.
This was based on the original post IF ABORTION WAS ILLEGAL

Of couse it's not illegal and a woman can do whatever she wishes with her body.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:22 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,249,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Your statement, specifically was, "I don't know ANYONE who ....."

I responded accordingly

Old 11-28-2007, 10:13 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
And I don't know anyone who.... you have anecdotal evidence that it occurred. I'm sure that if people indeed use it as a bc measure, they are bizarrely misguided and not a mainstream person.

My experience in over 5 decades is that I still don't know anyone who uses abortion as birth control.

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-28-2007 at 10:25 PM..

Old 11-28-2007, 10:20 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,257,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post

Also, I have met women who had mental health issues by deciding not to abort, and to have the thing adopted..
To state that you don't feel impacted by your neighbor's decision to abort shows a disconnect to the greater society. . .

Also, your wording "to have the thing adopted" is frightening cold. It is not a thing but a human life.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:27 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I read an article in one of the national magazines last week that asked an interesting question:

Assume that abortion is outlawed tomorrow.

To those who support the outlawing of abortions because it's murder, what punishment should American women who get an abortion in this country or another receive after the act of receiving or aiding in receiving an abortion is made criminal?

If you believe that abortion is the same as killing a born baby (murder), then one would assume that they should get the same punishment, such as life imprisonment or the death penalty for getting an abortion.

Same thing if they run off to Canada to get an abortion. Killing your unborn baby there is still murder, no?

So, what punishment SHOULD women get? If they don't get as much as a person who kills an already-born human, wouldn't that necessarily mean that you don't think the unborn child is "worth" as much as an after-born child?
Holy crap. Lets just illegalize abortion, then those damn wimmins will die in illegal botched abortions. Watch your daughter die, then re-think your stupid post. Mexico loses thousands of MOTHERS every year to botched abortions because they are illegal, leaving thousands of motherless children behind. Women are not baby makers! We dont owe you a damn thing. What you should really be concerned about is why we dont hang every frickin rapist by his balls and watch the ravens peck his eyes out.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:35 PM

638 posts, read 2,280,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citigirl View Post
I may agree 100 times might be too much. You are never a parent until you have a child or you wanted a child and unfortunately lost it. I used to work across the street from an abortion clinic and the majority came out like they had just come from an ice cream social and there were some that looked wrecked. I do believe having to witness your actions would put a different light on it.
I'm so glad you could read their minds. All 3 of the women I knew who had abortions were very sad about it, but glad that they had the option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies