Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 01:40 PM

146 posts, read 89,260 times

Advertisements

Ah, that explains it. I see you as an American. You see you as an African-American even though you are, like most of us, of mixed heritage. You choose to label yourself as an African first and an American second. And why not simply call yourself an African-Asian-Euro-American to be more accurate?

Can't you honestly see just how silly this all is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 02:26 PM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
You cannot bring back something that never left. If it is OK for the National Association for the Advancement of COLORED People, it should be OK with everybody else.

If it is such a "bad" word, why haven't they changed it?

Old 09-02-2011, 02:37 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Glenn Beck is this...
Glenn Beck is that...
Glenn Beck is a...

Really?

That's all you have for the topic?
Negro
Colored
Black
but African American is so wrong, if you ask me. I have a buddy that is from South Africa. He is as white as the Pope. Is he African-American.

Personally, if I have to describe somebody, I just tell it like it is and say, " that black guy with..." but that is my last stab at trying without going there.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:41 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
<snip>I have a buddy that is from South Africa. He is as white as the Pope. Is he African-American
Yes

Old 09-02-2011, 02:47 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
<snip> I have a buddy that is from South Africa. He is as white as the Pope. Is he African-American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Yes

See, isn't that confusing to someone.

Old 09-02-2011, 02:51 PM

146 posts, read 89,260 times
Aren't most black people really shades of brown anyway? Where does black come from? And, as was pointed out a couple times in this thread: NAAColoredP.

It's all quite bizarre but you wouldn't want to stop another Glenn Beck bashfest, would you? Even though he never said anything like what's being claimed. Funny stuff.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:46 PM

3,382 posts, read 4,081,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
America is a land of immigrants. Only whites want to do away with hyphens because they rule this country, and a hyphen (Native-American, African-American) serves to remind them of their deadly past.

I'm all for hyphens, lest we forget.
well, since you are wrong again, do you want to try again? Why don't you quit trying to keep us separate just because our skin is darker then yours? If you hate black people that much, move to an island and you don't have to see us anymore.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
'it is, because i [they] say so' is pretty weak logic. and it puts you on a slippery slope. i know a couple of hardcore liberals that take offense at even being called American. under your rules of behavior, we should all avoid using that descriptor for fear one of the easily-offended might have their feelings hurt
By my logic, I wouldn't not call anyone American because a few were offended by it. I wouldn't call those few people American. In general, people aren't offended by the term "American" so I use it. But if I have a friend or two that hate being called American, then you're right, I won't call those two friends in particular American.

Is calling people by the name they prefer to be called putting you on a slippery slope? Do you call your doctor Dr. Johnson and your wife Mary or, or is that a slippery slope? Should you have to call everyone Mary because you call one person Mary, or everyone Dr. Johnson because you call one person Dr. Johnson? Does calling one Kenneth you know Kenny mean you have to call all the Kenneths you know Kenny? Or do you get the fact that you might call your doctor Dr. Johnson because she's your doctor and your wife Mary cause she's your wife, and that one Kenneth might prefer to be called Kenny while another might prefer Kenneth? Would you insist on calling your friend Kenny Kenneth because you think that Kenny "sounds silly" or "doesn't seem logical" or because "Kenny" and "Kenneth" are practically identical? Do you get that maybe to you "Kenny" and "Kenneth" might seem the same but to someone else the difference means a lot to them?

Why is that such a hard concept to grasp when it comes to terms like Black and African-American and American?

Old 09-02-2011, 04:51 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
It is quite funny that you will argue against a man, but not even know what he said. He did not tell people to call blacks colored. He did say that in Africa they use the terms black and colored, which mean two different things.
I didn't present an argument against Beck. I said more than once that he's free to think and say what he wants. He can use colored all he wants so long as he doesn't use it with me.

And what they say in Africa has no bearing here. That's their business. Here in this country, we have different customs.

Old 09-02-2011, 04:55 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Glenn Beck is in minute 14.5 of his allotted 15 minutes.

It scares the hell out of him, so expect his rhetoric to get even more shrill and ridiculous for the next .5 proverbial hours.

Then, thankfully, he will probably drink himself to death. Mormon style, with cases of Natural Light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies