Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 09:06 AM

7,473 posts, read 4,017,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
So lets assume there was a year where their ROI was negative, how much of a pay cut would you be willing to negotiate to factor that in?
about as much as the relative increase they gave us...........very little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Hence one of the problems I see with union negotiated contracts...in the span of 3 years things can change a LOT, potentially putting one party in a situation where they are not in a good place.

You seem to keep missing the point..........it's a contract between TWO PARTIES..........the union and the COMPANY

Old 09-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I'll never understand the mindset that unless you do physically taxing labor, you dont know what "real work" is. Getting up every morning and expending all of your mental or physical energy to do something to the best of your possible ability is "work" regardless of if you are sore and sweaty at the end.
What makes you think there was no mental energy expended in my job??
It was VERY demanding in both areas..........besides being on call 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.........

Old 09-07-2011, 09:23 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
You seem to keep missing the point..........it's a contract between TWO PARTIES..........the union and the COMPANY
No, I missed absolutely NOTHING from your point, which is why I said it could put one of the parties in a bad place. Negotiating a labor contract out three years in advance is tricky. Think what people were negotiating in 2004-2005, not knowing was was in store for the economy starting in 2007-2007.

Old 09-07-2011, 09:27 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,979,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
What makes you think there was no mental energy expended in my job??
It was VERY demanding in both areas..........besides being on call 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.........
Ok, never mind...your work was harder, more important, or more "real" or whatever your point was supposed to be when you decided to belittle the person in your comment about "real work." Continue to wonder though why unions or their members can get a bad rep...you are just contributing to it by belittling others for the work that they do.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
Unions are a place for union leaders to make big bucks while flapping their jaws instead of working like the rest of the peons.
Or stuff their faces and booze it up like crazy and then have their leader, someone who was involved in school corruption, but nonetheless is still employed by the union, refuse to pay the check at the restaurant:

Paul Egan, teachers union boss in restaurant stir, had role in 2000 student cheating scandal - New York Daily News

Quote:
New details of the outrageous dinner involving the portly rep and 24 union comrades emerged yesterday after the Daily News' exclusive report.

A patron at the bistro said restaurant staffers complained that the UFT group took up three tables.

The liquored-up partyers "were yelling and screaming the whole night," the source said.

At one point, the source said, the tab for the group reached $1,800. It went even higher as the group "was just drinking more and more."

After devouring his three-course prix fixe quail dinner, Egan - who was listed in the 1990 Guinness Book of World Records for the longest after-dinner speech - began yelling about the small portions and refused to pay the group's bill.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interlude View Post
The recent campaign against government unionized employees is yet another page out of the "divert attention from the wealthy looting this country" circus that is conservatism. Just because their employer is the public doesn't mean that they don't deserve fair wages and benefits or the right to organize.

The main argument from Wisconsin Republicans is that public workers had wages and benefits higher than those of private workers. The problem here is that the whole reason for that is because the public workers had a union protecting their interests, while most private workers are not unionized and are therefore getting f*d by their employers (e.g. Walmart employees).

Thus, public workers are not overcompensated, it's that private workers are undercompensated, but the wealthy elites are trying to cover this up by shifting blame to government and scapegoating public employees and their unions.
As you already know, the thing people in my neck of the woods are complaining about is the non-wealthy taxpayers are the ones footing the outrageous tax bills for the public employee unions. How do you fix that? And if you think FORCING unionization on all employers is feasible, you are not living in reality.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Actually we owe it to the unholy alliance between craven Democrat politicians and union bosses.
Where I am (Nassau County, NY) it has been mostly craven REPUBLICAN politicians and union bosses. Both parties suck up union money.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:55 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Where I am (Nassau County, NY) it has been mostly craven REPUBLICAN politicians and union bosses. Both parties suck up union money.

Nassau Republicans are mostly RINOs.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Nassau Republicans are mostly RINOs.
I can't argue with you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies