Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 07:51 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,317,420 times

Advertisements

"I'm right and you're wrong! Nah nah nah!" All of the bickering brings me back to my childhood! It gets "old!"...Politics isn't suppose to be a "sport!" We are facing serious and severe problems as a nation today and the problems require "adult thinking." And compromises when need be...Acting like "little kids" will bring our nation down even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 11:57 AM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
I lay it at the foot of partisan media, which makes stroking peoples' egos and scapegoating the ratings draws rather than trying to aspire to objectivity. And I think this generation has gotten in the habit of filtering all new phenomena through their ideologies. That has eroded the political middle in America, and it has weakened our ability to move forward.

That said, this forum has a particularly high proportion of hyperpartisans. I am not sure if they are paid, are retired and come here to argue, or just a unique slice of society. I think the blogosphere is prone to nasty, partisan rantings in general. At least this place has a few from both sides who throw ideas out there. I kind of doubt people come here to learn much though.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:46 PM

I usually get my news from CNN or the Internet...CNN may not be perfect but it seems a little more neutral compared to FOX or MSNBC...But I tend to take everything I hear with a "grain of salt." I try to "think things through" on my own versus buying into every "hook, line and sinker!"....Most things are "framed" according to the agenda and bias of each speaker and "talking head." And I take this into consideration...Everyone is "armed" with their preordained "talking points." Everything is contrived. Everything is pre-planned! Everything is "canned!"...And the "faithful" from each party repeat and recite all of the "lines" and "talking points" nearly verbatim when they intermingle with their peers! It seems like a "mass hypnosis" and brainwashing to me!...Pretty spooky! And dangerous for our country...So many people get nasty and defensive and sarcastic on political forums and make it all "okay." They don't question their behavior. They think they are "entitled" to say and do whatever they want but yet they preach against the notion of "entitlements!" They throw a "hissy fit" if someone from the other party dares to say something they don't agree with or like...I feel like I am living in some weird episode of "The Twilight Zone" today! Everything seems crazy to me! I grew up in a different era where a certain level of respect was "called for" and expected.

Old 09-11-2011, 12:58 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
I suspect part of the rancor also comes from our party in power gerrymandered districts. The incumbent knows he only need represent those who elected him. The rest of us can disappear. We don't even have to try to get along with or find common ground with folks in our own precincts, districts etc.
It's way more up close and personal than that here on CD. Even on the education forum, an apolitical topic can become very political when someone injects their politics into it.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:04 PM

59,089 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
in every single thread in this section of city data eventually melts down to an argument of red vs blue.

Can you not see that neither party is going to make all of your dreams come true?

Can you not see that the party you hate isn't evil incarnate, and don't want to destroy the country (their power)?

Both parties have royally ****ed this country in consecutive administrations, with every legislative mix of red and blue in between.

How you people continue to restrict yourselves to a simplistic red=good and blue=bad, or vice versa, is quite honestly appalling.

Any thoughts on this phenomenon? We all want the best for America, and other than a few fundamental differences on certain issues, we can agree that major changes need to take place.

You're impeding that change by playing this game of status quo that the politicians want you to play. How long are you gonna let them make you dance, puppet?
To me, it isn't that complicated. Most on the left favor abortion on demand. most on the right are against it except for rape.

Most on the left don't think it is taking a life. Most on the right think being pregnant is the carrying of life.

Where can you compromise?

I don't care how many years you go back to say "the repubs did this, The dems did that.

I look at today.

We are broke. We have a muti-trillion dollar debt and deficit.

I see the dems want to keep on borrowing and spending.

I see a small group of repubs forcing the rest of the repubs to curtail the spending and bring back some sanity to our financial situation.

Many dems believe gov't is the answer to all mans woes.

Many repubs believe in a smaller (federal) gov't.

The philosophies are polar opposites.

Some think this new. it isn't. There have been fist fights in Congress. there have been duels, etc.

Do I think many on here have no manners, no class, no respect for others or others opinions, etc? Most definitely.

The more our society sinks morally, the less chance the 2 sides will get along civilly.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:37 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It goes way beyond just disagreeing. It is blatant refusal to address and acknowledge what the GOP/Tea Pary/Neocons are doing to the middle class and poor while they enable corruption and cronyism by Corporate America and Wall Street. I could respect them a bit more if they finally came out and admitted that they support an Oligarchy and Corporate rule as oppossed to Democracy. The most obnoxious and infuriating thing is when they wrap themselves in the America Flag and sing the praises of the Founding Fathers as they attempt to rewrite history, amend the Constitution and argue that this nation was founded on religion.
^^ exactly. And the "birther" threads and rampant nastiness from the far right regarding ANY standing president, beyond sad. Really leaves no hope for intelligent discourse.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:46 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
in every single thread in this section of city data eventually melts down to an argument of red vs blue.

Can you not see that neither party is going to make all of your dreams come true?

Can you not see that the party you hate isn't evil incarnate, and don't want to destroy the country (their power)?

Both parties have royally ****ed this country in consecutive administrations, with every legislative mix of red and blue in between.

How you people continue to restrict yourselves to a simplistic red=good and blue=bad, or vice versa, is quite honestly appalling.

Any thoughts on this phenomenon? We all want the best for America, and other than a few fundamental differences on certain issues, we can agree that major changes need to take place.

You're impeding that change by playing this game of status quo that the politicians want you to play. How long are you gonna let them make you dance, puppet?
I see, so I gather you are a moderate. Please tell me your position on abortion and the death penalty. Of course there is no such thing as a moderate. Truth be told most people believe their positions are moderate.

There are philosophical differences between the parties. one favors more government in our lives the other less. It is difficult to reconcile the 2 positions.

Old 09-11-2011, 09:12 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,763,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
I see, so I gather you are a moderate. Please tell me your position on abortion and the death penalty. Of course there is no such thing as a moderate. Truth be told most people believe their positions are moderate.

There are philosophical differences between the parties. one favors more government in our lives the other less. It is difficult to reconcile the 2 positions.
That is bs. You can have a partisan view, but if you have half a brain you have to realize not all people will share it. So, to govern, you cannot act like a toddler when you don't get everything you want when you want it. And there are far more than those two views out there. For instance, I am an anti abortion, but pro-choice. And I am anti-death penalty, but in some cases, such as Osama Bin Laden, I am for it. I am pro-EPA and anti-welfare. Pro-capitalism, pro-labor, and anti-lobbyist. Etc. For legalizing marijuana and making people work for food stamps. I can think of a hundred issues where I choose to evaluate the facts and think for myself. Why come to a blog like this to shout that there is only one legitimate way to think. I come here to have discussions. Such as this one.

The right tends toward the doctrinaire, so I would never be respected by them (not that I really care), but I do share plenty of conservative viewpoints, simply because I think they have worked for me (I have always worked my ass off to both pull my weight and improve myself over time, for instance). I happen to hold more left-leaning viewpoints, because I think the world and our society can do better.

As I have traveled around the world, gained higher education, and done decades of reading,etc. I have learned the world is a pretty complex place, and there are many ways to run a country and culture. And no group of people has stood out to me as morally superior to another, though some do one or another thing better than others. For instance, the Germans are far to the left of us, but work just as hard, and are just as successful. We are all chasing the same things, but our priorities and approaches are different. That should be great fodder for discussion at places like C-D, but some folks think that they have it all sewn up. That is usually a sign of ignorance (or fascist belligerence) more than anything else.

Last edited by Fiddlehead; 09-11-2011 at 09:30 PM..

Old 09-11-2011, 09:15 PM

I'm 62 now and I've been through many elections during my lifetime...Sometimes the candidates that I support "win" and sometimes they don't...Voters pass laws that I don't always agree with but I have to accept "what is" and go on with my life anyway...Life is full of compromises and I know that I won't always get "my way." Sometimes I am part of a minority vote and sometimes I am part of a majority vote..It's just all part of life and I have to make the best of things at every turn...I don't want to hate and blame or "smear" anyone or "pout" just because things don't go "my way."

Old 09-11-2011, 09:22 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,598,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
That is bs. You can have a partisan view, but if you have half a brain you have to realize not all people will share it. So, to govern, you cannot act like a toddler when you don't get everything you want when you want it. And there are far more than those two views out there. For instance, I an anti abortion, but pro-choice. And I am anti-death penalty, but in some cases, such as Osama Bin Laden, I am for it. I am pro-EPA and anti-welfare. Pro-capitalism, pro-labor, and anti-lobbyist. Etc. For legalizing marijuana and making people work for food stamps. I can think of a hundred issues where I choose to evaluate the facts and think for myself. Why come to a blog like this to shout. I come here to have discussions. Such as this one.

The right tends toward the doctrinaire, so I would never be respected by them (not that I really care), but I do share plenty of conservative viewpoints, simply because I think they have worked for me (I have always worked my ass off to both pull my weight and improve myself over time, for instance). I happen to hold more left-leaning viewpoints, because I think the world and our society can do better.

As I have traveled around the world, gained higher education, and done decades of reading,etc. I have learned the world is a pretty complex place, and there are many ways to run a country and culture. And no group of people has stood out to me as morally superior to another, though some do one or another thing better than others. For instance, the Germans are far to the left of us, but work just as hard, and are just as successful. We are all chasing the same things, but our priorities and approaches are different. That should be great fodder for discussion at places like C-D, but some folks think that they have it all sewn up. That is usually a sign of ignorance (or fascist belligerence) more than anything else.
exactly. So you dont follow the talking points that all liberals are against self sufficient people, and that everything is "cut and dried"/black and white.

The limited scope of some people here is astounding, all-or-none theory which has nothing to do with reality.

Last edited by dreamofmonterey; 09-11-2011 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: add
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies