Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 11:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Since Bloomberg has forbidden religious representatives from taking part, thus shunning God, I will not be watching the event. I don't wish to add to the TV ratings of such an intentionaly apostate ceremony. My prayers are with those that suffered from that terrible attack.
Now that is a very weird things to say. "Religious representatives" aren't stand-ins for God and their exclusion isn't "shunning" God except to a warped mind. I smell Idolatry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 01:37 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,753,834 times
Quote:
….how ill-prepared and helpless we were in the face of such evil….
We were prepared for numerous years. But for numerous years after Pearl Harbor of nearly nothing happening on US soil all that preparedness disappeared. We weren't helpless, it just become a low priority over time. We had become naive in thinking we were invincable even though numerous other countries outside of the US tried to keep up their security through the years just in case.
Quote:
The anniversary will mark a unique day in American history...never before have so many unusual happenings…..

Quote:
There's a reason why a whole nation doesn't mourn every single casualty of every tragedy we've ever had.

We need to set up one and only one minute on one day as a moment of silence. Nearly all nations have one. Its a day where sirens go off nationally and nearly everything stops. People stop and get out of their cars and stand there for a moment of silence. All radio and TV stations go silent.
We need it to be a Memorial Day that is actually treated as one. It needs to be a noncommercialized day without special retail sales that for some stupid reason celebrates it. It needs to be a day where all people are off from work (except for essential services) and all retail is completely shut down.
Just look at Israel. They can shut down the entire country for one day a week every week(except for essential services).They can shut down the entire country for a few extra days without it affecting their economy.
Maybe its time we as Americans look into bringing back parts of the past known as Blue Laws. We had Xmas Day and Thanksgiving Day as being real close to it. But as most people have noticed they are slowly sneaking in as another shopping day to celebrate consumerism.

Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Although I do not share it, I understand the need of some people to memorialize and dwell on tragedy and defeat. For those old enough to remember when the whole "yellow ribbon" thing developed, the Iran hostage crisis presided over so shamefully by Jimmy Carter was the first of these collective, often maudlin affairs.

We all know what happened on 9/11 and, frankly, how ill-prepared and helpless we were in the face of such evil. So --- why spend so much effort wallowing in how bad bad people are and how senseless senselessness is?

Personally, I would prefer that we memorialize our ability to strike back and punish those who attack our country. How about a "We Finally Got Osama Bin Laden -- Right Between the Eyes" Day?
Sounds like you are still profiting from 9/11.

Old 09-09-2011, 02:49 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Now that is a very weird things to say. "Religious representatives" aren't stand-ins for God and their exclusion isn't "shunning" God except to a warped mind. I smell Idolatry.
If I say that they have banned God from public school would you also smell idolatry? Sinus problem perhaps?

Old 09-09-2011, 03:30 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
What have we learned since 9/11? Have we become a better people, or has our government turned us into even more violent animals?

Quote:
A number of analysts have observed that although bin Laden was finally killed, he won some major successes in his war against the U.S. "He repeatedly asserted that the only way to drive the U.S. from the Muslim world and defeat its satraps was by drawing Americans into a series of small but expensive wars that would ultimately bankrupt them," Eric Margolis writes. "'Bleeding the U.S.,' in his words." The United States, first under George W. Bush and then Barack Obama, rushed right into bin Laden’s trap... Grotesquely overblown military outlays and debt addiction... may be the most pernicious legacy of the man who thought he could defeat the United States” -- particularly when the debt is being cynically exploited by the far right, with the collusion of the Democrat establishment, to undermine what remains of social programs, public education, unions, and, in general, remaining barriers to corporate tyranny.
9/11 and the Imperial Mentality | Common Dreams

Old 09-09-2011, 04:20 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post

We were prepared for numerous years. But for numerous years after Pearl Harbor of nearly nothing happening on US soil all that preparedness disappeared. We weren't helpless, it just become a low priority over time. We had become naive in thinking we were invincable even though numerous other countries outside of the US tried to keep up their security through the years just in case.

We need to set up one and only one minute on one day as a moment of silence. Nearly all nations have one. Its a day where sirens go off nationally and nearly everything stops. People stop and get out of their cars and stand there for a moment of silence. All radio and TV stations go silent.
We need it to be a Memorial Day that is actually treated as one. It needs to be a noncommercialized day without special retail sales that for some stupid reason celebrates it. It needs to be a day where all people are off from work (except for essential services) and all retail is completely shut down.
Just look at Israel. They can shut down the entire country for one day a week every week(except for essential services).They can shut down the entire country for a few extra days without it affecting their economy.
Maybe its time we as Americans look into bringing back parts of the past known as Blue Laws. We had Xmas Day and Thanksgiving Day as being real close to it. But as most people have noticed they are slowly sneaking in as another shopping day to celebrate consumerism.
the last thing we need is to further shut our economy down, and damage yet more small businesses struggling to function in america. israel can shut their economy down because THEY GET OUR MONEY.

who is going to give us money?

the great thing about america is FREEDOM. you don't want to shop, don't shop. YOU can make a voluntary choice now, and others can as well.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:41 AM

41,961 posts, read 75,205,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Whats the problem with honoring one day for the victims on 9/11 especially considering how far we've come as a nation since then?
That's the problem. We haven't come very far at all, if even indeed we've moved forward.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I do not celebrate that day except to think of the heros in the NYFD and NYPD as well as the civillians that were harmed trying to save others. Celebrate the HEROS and despise the people that exploited the attack for their political and economic gains.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:02 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
i just watched the national geographic special on 9-11 so it is fresh in my mind.

you might not have written your post if you had just seen it also. i saw people having to choose to jump or burn to end their lives. i saw people on the airplanes telling their family members they loved them, and one guy even told his dad not to worry because it would be quick if he died. i saw firefighters rushing up the stairs to save people as others were rushing down the stairs to save themselves. there are thousands of individual tragedies in the 9-11 story.

as well, it was a tragedy that altered the way that americans now live-and it has not been an improvement.

we are now subject to violations by the TSA, spying through the patriot act, and other infringements on our own liberties because of what some deranged men chose to do to innocent americans that day.
National Geographic is part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire. I woudn't believe the way they present any events.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:11 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
National Geographic is part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire. I woudn't believe the way they present any events.
you didn't even watch it and you are judging it.

it was an interesting special, not really aligned with any particular point of view, mostly documenting the heroism of fellow americans on that day.

they interviewed survivor's families from people that called on the planes, stewardess tapes, FAA tapes, talked to eyewitnesses, and just basically documented a timeline of how it all happened that day-the collapse of the trade centers, the pentagon, the other plane impact, and the responses of rescuers afterwards.

i recommend anybody watch that show if they get a chance. it is really touching to remember the people who MOVED FORWARD to help their fellow citizens.

i can't say i agree with all that has happened since, but it is nice to remember the good people who made this country better during that terrible event. i will honor them, even if others choose not to.

it still touches me about the one guy calling his dad from the plane and telling his dad not to worry, because if it happens (plane crash) it will be quick for him.

and the story about the guys who tried to rush the other terrorist plane-- with their families on the phone as it happened.

i am not forgetting those people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies