Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the above proposal?
I am heterosexual and I support the proposal 19 27.94%
I am homosexual and I support the proposal 9 13.24%
I am heterosexual and I do not support the proposal 28 41.18%
I am homosexual and I do not support the proposal 4 5.88%
None of the above options is appropriate for me 8 11.76%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:16 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
How about the fact that islam, as a religious and political system is violent and hurts people whereever it's implemented? Do you seriously question why anyone would be scared of islamic law? Really?

Christianity, on the other hand, preaches love and values human life.

Now...should we write our legal system as a direct replica of the OT Mosaic Law? No. That Law was given to ancient Israel for a time. The New Testament writings took place in a largely Greek/Roman environment. It's a much different world that values freedom--something islamic law can't claim.
And yet, the worst attrocities in human history came from the Catholic Church long after the Greek/Roman environment, all claiming divine and biblical justification for their actions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 09:30 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:

I'm sorry if you confuse speaking truth with hate. Sure, there are plenty of people that get kind of worked up over the issue, but try going to Iran and see how they treat homosexuals. We're plenty loving in comparison. Again, though....I really can't justify the mistreatment of homosexuals by reading the Bible.
Just because Iran treats homosexuals worse than we do, doesn't mean your sin of prosecution of the gay community is any less a sin. They're a huge difference between preaching against something you believe is wrong in the eyes of your denomination of Christianity and having the church involved in political, anti-gay activism to stop what your church (and others don't) think is immoral. That's crossing the line between being motivated by love or hate. It didn't work with prohibition and it's not going to work with denying gays the right to love and marry whom ever they wish. It's only a matter of time.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:36 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
I'd also like to add, homosexuality used to be a capital offense in the United States. Progression is the only reason it no longer is, whereas Iran is still stuck in ancient, barbaric times.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
How convenient. If it agrees with you, it's God ordained, if it doesn't, it's merely opinion. There you have it folks - the reason you can't intelligently argue with conservatives. They can't lose, because they can always change the rules of the game.
Funny....I was going to say the same about arguing with libs.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And yet, the worst attrocities in human history came from the Catholic Church long after the Greek/Roman environment, all claiming divine and biblical justification for their actions.
I'm not catholic and I don't consider them to be the voice of Christianity. Go nuts on them for all I care.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Just because Iran treats homosexuals worse than we do, doesn't mean your sin of prosecution of the gay community is any less a sin. They're a huge difference between preaching against something you believe is wrong in the eyes of your denomination of Christianity and having the church involved in political, anti-gay activism to stop what your church (and others don't) think is immoral. That's crossing the line between being motivated by love or hate. It didn't work with prohibition and it's not going to work with denying gays the right to love and marry whom ever they wish. It's only a matter of time.
You do realize though, that Iran is an islamist state. Their government is what islam teaches. Yes, there are idiots that mistreat people in the name of Christianity, but it's not what our religion teaches.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,171,483 times
Quote:
Whatever Rita. If you're bound and determined to see something a certain way, there's just not a lot I can do about it.
You made the claim that Christianity preaches love and values human life.

You also claimed:

Quote:
I guess I don't much care if Tad and Rick can't get time off work because one of them gets sick.
So which is it?

Quote:
Honestly...take a hard look at what islam teaches, and compare it to what Christianity teaches. To suggest a correlation is lunacy. Seriously. You look bad when you try to do that.
It doesn't matter if the religion teaches that poop is just another additive for soylent green.

What matters, in regards to the topic of same-sex marriage (and other legal affairs), is that people, like yourself, are proponents of Christianity's view of homosexuality being the basis for law. And, seeing as these same are scared of Sharia Law, it's a very hypocritical stance.

Quote:
I'm sorry that some people have mistreated people in the name of Christianity. But you can't blame the religion for it because the religion doesn't teach that.
"Laws based on Islam is bad. Look at all the bad stuff they've done! Oh, but ignore all the bad stuff people have done in the name of my religion, they're not real Christians. Oh, and the bad stuff in the Bible is not literal. But in regards to homosexuality, they're immoral sinners who are going to hell!"

Hate to break it to you, but the Bible is just as violent, arrogant, and graphic as the Qu'ran. The difference is in the interpretation. Various sects of Christianity have 'matured' to the point that they do not take every verse literally. Islam is still going through this phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
I'm not catholic and I don't consider them to be the voice of Christianity. Go nuts on them for all I care.
This is the reason that logical individuals do not mix law and religion. Not only do different religions have different laws and ideals, but people with the same religious texts can't even agree on them!

But again, I'd rather hear a good argument for why your flavor of Christianity should even be a consideration in the eyes of the law regarding the legal contract that is called "marriage".

Old 09-23-2011, 10:27 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,314,559 times
Quote:
You do realize though, that Iran is an islamist state. Their government is what islam teaches. Yes, there are idiots that mistreat people in the name of Christianity, but it's not what our religion teaches.
Islamist states like Iran have to answer for their mistreatment of people. It has no bearing on what we here in America are doing. Why even bring it into the discussion? Certainly you understand the difference between preaching against the "sin" of homosexuality out of love for the sinner like Jesus might have done and persecuting a "sinner" by trying to use the legal system to validate your church's narrow view of that "sin". Like I said in the post you responded to: the former is acting out of love---some would say misguided love and the latter is acting out of hate. You can't claim your church is only acting out of Christian love if it supports anti-gay groups and lobbyists. Love vs. persecution...not a hard concept to understand.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 09-23-2011 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-23-2011, 10:36 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
A page or two back you claimed that Christianity was all about love and valuing human life...now you are saying go nuts on the Catholics.

What you are saying is that Christianity...at least your version of Christianity teaches love and values human life...but only if those humans believe exactly as you do.

Catholics believe differently than me...they don't deserve to be treated with anything but disdain...liberals believe differently than me...they don't deserve to be treated with anything but disdain, etc.

Do you not see the hypocrisy there?

Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
You made the claim that Christianity preaches love and values human life.

You also claimed:

So which is it?

It doesn't matter if the religion teaches that poop is just another additive for soylent green.

What matters, in regards to the topic of same-sex marriage (and other legal affairs), is that people, like yourself, are proponents of Christianity's view of homosexuality being the basis for law. And, seeing as these same are scared of Sharia Law, it's a very hypocritical stance.

"Laws based on Islam is bad. Look at all the bad stuff they've done! Oh, but ignore all the bad stuff people have done in the name of my religion, they're not real Christians. Oh, and the bad stuff in the Bible is not literal. But in regards to homosexuality, they're immoral sinners who are going to hell!"

Hate to break it to you, but the Bible is just as violent, arrogant, and graphic as the Qu'ran. The difference is in the interpretation. Various sects of Christianity have 'matured' to the point that they do not take every verse literally. Islam is still going through this phase.

This is the reason that logical individuals do not mix law and religion. Not only do different religions have different laws and ideals, but people with the same religious texts can't even agree on them!

But again, I'd rather hear a good argument for why your flavor of Christianity should even be a consideration in the eyes of the law regarding the legal contract that is called "marriage".
I am convinced that some Christians will forever be blind to their own hypocrisy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies