Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 10:18 PM

20 posts, read 23,240 times

Advertisements

Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 PM

331 posts, read 1,052,640 times
I am also a cashier and I am not one to make a political statement or judge people but I see the same thing. When I was growing up we did not buy soda, candy, potato chips, ice cream and other various junk food items because we could not afford it, and no we were not on food stamps/EBT. I have seen people come into my place of work and spend $50 on junk food. I don't think you will find many people who disagree with you but something needs to be done, you can buy a lot of chicken/meat/vegetables for a family for $50.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:46 PM

3 posts, read 5,070 times
Blame it to the Commercials!

Old 09-20-2011, 08:02 AM

Don't forget Hot Pockets, CapriSun, Gatorade, PB&J, cakes and brownies...

Old 09-20-2011, 10:04 AM

806 posts, read 2,885,005 times
Microwave meal cost $10.00

Cost of somewhat similar ingredients $10.00

Stove top cooking...45-90 minutes

Microwave....10-20 minutes

Not to defend the obviously poor nutrition choices, but when you have to pay for the electric power....

Old 09-20-2011, 10:49 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
Not to get anybody mad but a lot of times the people who get food stamps don't live a healthy lifestyle. They may not know how to eat healthy, let alone cook it. OK, one or two of those items are acceptable but not the entire cart.

Maybe they should only allow healthy foods such as raw meat, fresh vegetables and fruit, rice and pasta to be purchased with food stamps. No soda, prepared cakes, prepared frozen foods or chips allowed. Those things are not only unhealthy but very expensive.

When they issue the card, they can give out a cookbook to go with it.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM

204 posts, read 422,827 times
um..we are currently getting stamps, and I mostly buy healthy things...of course healthy is expensive and depending on how much you ($$) one gets on a card..you have to stretch things out over the entire month. The only thing they take into consideration when you qualify is your rent or mortgage payment...not car payment,car insurance,utilities,laundry detergent, toilet paper.. school costs,internet/cable bills, no internet no future job prospects, no car..can't get to said job when/if you find one.. etc..so...We run out of money on our card every month..Having said that-I unfortunately have to agree..most by junk, and are uneducated in all areas, nutrition being one of them..if I hear one more social service person tell me "they are seeing alot of ppl. like me in there these days" I guess white, educated..unemployed don't know what they mean by that...but the WIC program now has nutrition classes you have to take to get the checks..atleast that is something.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:25 AM

Exactly! People like the unemployed and disabled NEED food stamps! These people work the system and make babies so they get a bigger check and take all our our tax paying dollars for JUNK FOOD! They don't look for jobs! They just eat all day. And some of them are too big to even push a cart because of all the crap they buy and eat, and they have to make everything difficult on me by making me put it into another cart because the electric carts cannot go outside. I like the law where you can only have food stamps for four years in Wisconsin, that is long enough for you to find a job! As for all of those other expenses, the coupons they use take off of the paper and cleaning products for some stupid reason! If they have $50 in paper products and $50 in coupons (for food products) the paper products are free!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:57 AM

995 posts, read 1,696,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Exactly! People like the unemployed and disabled NEED food stamps! These people work the system and make babies so they get a bigger check and take all our our tax paying dollars for JUNK FOOD! They don't look for jobs! They just eat all day. And some of them are too big to even push a cart because of all the crap they buy and eat, and they have to make everything difficult on me by making me put it into another cart because the electric carts cannot go outside. I like the law where you can only have food stamps for four years in Wisconsin, that is long enough for you to find a job! As for all of those other expenses, the coupons they use take off of the paper and cleaning products for some stupid reason! If they have $50 in paper products and $50 in coupons (for food products) the paper products are free!
Nobody has even touched on the burden these people will place on the already overtaxed healthcare system as they continue making poor decisions.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:42 PM

64 posts, read 145,259 times
Do we teach food preparation and healthy food choices at high school or college?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies