Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,026,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm poor but I'm NOT stupid, I see this is our weekly hate the poor thread. I'm on food stamps because after being unemployed for 3 1/2 years, the last year 1/2 without unemployment I qualified for food stamps/EBT. I try to make good choices, buy store brands when I can, but stretching those dollars do include some packaged food. We are not allowed to buy prepaired food BTW, like a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. I don't drink soda, nor do I eat much sweets or candy. I live in a rural area where our food prices are considerably higher and since I'm single it is often more cost effective for me to buy a pre-packaged meal.

I now have a job that pays minimum wages with no guarenteed hours and still qualify for EBT. So I'm part of the millions who are now 'working poor' after decades of paying taxes (40+years) I'm so glad none of you food Nazies can determine if I splurge and buy 1/2 of a cake on occassion.

If those of you think someone is "gaming the system" I suggest you follow them out of the store, get their license plate and report them, or you could volunteer your time to teach a nutrition class.

I always see a lot of assumptions about people on EBT...like the fancy car thing...well what if they are like me worked for 40 years then got laid off, but had a newer nice car that was already paid for...they certainly can't sell it for what it's worth, my car btw is a '96 F150...paid for.

The amount of abuse you all seem to think is going on is miniscule compaired to the Corporate wealfare and abuse and few have gone to jail. Report those who you think are abusing the system.

With our unemployment rate still high, people falling off the rolls like me and still no job we then qualify for EBT and often that's it, there is no welfare or medicaid for me, just those few dollars of food stamps you all think I don't deserve. Welllll, I've been paying taxes for over 40 years, so get over it if I splurge and buy a 1/2 a cake or a nice piece of salmon on occasion I will be 61 years old in a few weeks and have been making food choices for decades.
Just some friendly advice. There are deals out there is you play the coupon game matched up with store sales. You can, if you choose the stores carefully, get enough overage to pay for your fresh fruits, veggies, and meats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2011, 02:07 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Has "race" thread friday been replaced with "poor" thread friday?

You guys cant be serious.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:18 PM

737 posts, read 1,149,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I'm poor but I'm NOT stupid, I see this is our weekly hate the poor thread. I'm on food stamps because after being unemployed for 3 1/2 years, the last year 1/2 without unemployment I qualified for food stamps/EBT. I try to make good choices, buy store brands when I can, but stretching those dollars do include some packaged food. We are not allowed to buy prepaired food BTW, like a pre-cooked rotisserie chicken. I don't drink soda, nor do I eat much sweets or candy. I live in a rural area where our food prices are considerably higher and since I'm single it is often more cost effective for me to buy a pre-packaged meal.

I now have a job that pays minimum wages with no guarenteed hours and still qualify for EBT. So I'm part of the millions who are now 'working poor' after decades of paying taxes (40+years) I'm so glad none of you food Nazies can determine if I splurge and buy 1/2 of a cake on occassion.

If those of you think someone is "gaming the system" I suggest you follow them out of the store, get their license plate and report them, or you could volunteer your time to teach a nutrition class.

I always see a lot of assumptions about people on EBT...like the fancy car thing...well what if they are like me worked for 40 years then got laid off, but had a newer nice car that was already paid for...they certainly can't sell it for what it's worth, my car btw is a '96 F150...paid for.

The amount of abuse you all seem to think is going on is miniscule compaired to the Corporate wealfare and abuse and few have gone to jail. Report those who you think are abusing the system.

With our unemployment rate still high, people falling off the rolls like me and still no job we then qualify for EBT and often that's it, there is no welfare or medicaid for me, just those few dollars of food stamps you all think I don't deserve. Welllll, I've been paying taxes for over 40 years, so get over it if I splurge and buy a 1/2 a cake or a nice piece of salmon on occasion I will be 61 years old in a few weeks and have been making food choices for decades.
40+ years working and no pension? Single and rural area, why do you stay there? Not accusing, just wondering.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:22 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,485,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rissak234 View Post
Why do a lot of you people on food stamps have to spend every penny on junk food? As a cashier, I only see people with EBT buying complete junk... frozen pizzas, gushers and fruit by the foot, candy, ramen noodles, chips, sodas... And not one single vegetable item, no foods that need preparation other than a microwave or boiling water. Even the meats are already prepared and frozen, like Tyson chicken fingers. Is it that hard to just make food? It is cheaper to get veggies and fruits and raw meats anyway. You waste our tax payers dollars on complete junk, because to you, it tastes good and it's free. Lazy and greedy people is what is ruining America.
They do not know any better. Perhaps if they were limited to purchasing "good food" then it would not be an issue.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:26 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
What does EBT stand for anyway?

Old 09-23-2011, 02:55 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
do your job and worry about providing superior customer service.

dont put your nose where it doesn't belong.

big pet peeve of mine.

what one purchases is none of your business as a cashier.

Old 09-23-2011, 02:59 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Electronic Benefit Transfer.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:03 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,276,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
do your job and worry about providing superior customer service.

dont put your nose where it doesn't belong.

big pet peeve of mine.

what one purchases is none of your business as a cashier.
Yes, it is his/her and OUR business. Its OUR tax dollar (including his/hers) which is going for some fat, lazy slob, to buy foods they shouldn't be. If this person has first hand knowledge, because of their profession, there is no reason not too mention it.

If they see this everyday, day after day, which is all true, as a taxpayer, I want to know. And as a taxpayer, THEY should bring it to our attention so WE as citizens can try and effect some sort of change.

Wonderful attitude of yours. Let's everyone bury our heads in the sand and quit putting "your nose where it doesn't belong." Looking the other way is one of the reasons this country is in such a decline.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:07 PM

3,504 posts, read 3,924,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Yes, it is his/her and OUR business. Its OUR tax dollar (including his/hers) which is going for some fat, lazy slob, to buy foods they shouldn't be. If this person has first hand knowledge, because of their profession, there is no reason not too mention it.

If they see this everyday, day after day, which is all true, as a taxpayer, I want to know. And as a taxpayer, THEY should bring it to our attention so WE as citizens can try and effect some sort of change.

Wonderful attitude of yours. Let's everyone bury our heads in the sand and quit putting "your nose where it doesn't belong." Looking the other way is one of the reasons this country is in such a decline.
wrong.

the card is loaded with a certain amount of money. they are allowed to spend the amount they receive on what they want.

you as a tax payer arn't paying anything towards it anyways, even though you pretend you do.

again. cashier just needs to focus on the job, and not put his/her nose where it doesn't belong.

if you want to be the food police, we can have them call you in when anyone uses a EBT card so you can monitor what they buy.

Old 09-23-2011, 03:08 PM

954 posts, read 1,281,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
wrong.

the card is loaded with a certain amount of money. they are allowed to spend the amount they receive on what they want.

you as a tax payer arn't paying anything towards it anyways, even though you pretend you do.

again. cashier just needs to focus on the job, and not put his/her nose where it doesn't belong.

if you want to be the food police, we can have them call you in when anyone uses a EBT card so you can monitor what they buy.
Oh? Really? So where does the money for food stamps come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies