Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 11:21 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Stoopid. So all you do gooders sit their on your PC with your license for every piece of your software sitting right next to you.
Yes, I've legally bought all the pay for software that currently sits on my computer.

Quote:
Hell I cold get on my neighors wireless and download a couple gigs of music and guess who would get blamed? Not me. And don't give me any crap about "he should have security on his router". It's so simple to hack those things a child could do it.
Yeah, try and hack mines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:31 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The Music belongs to the Artist? What reality do you live in? Not this one.

Is buying a second or third hand CD at a flea market copyright infringment? The Recording company is not getting a dime of the couple of bucks I pay for a disk. Why should they?
This is what Garth Brooks was whining about a few years back. He thought he should be paid again when one of his CD's was sold at a garage sale. By that logic when you resell your Ford or Toyota, should you pay Ford and Toyota again? Hell no.

Metallica was one of the biggest whiners about sites like Kazaa and Limewire and look where their careers are now......karmas a beyotch.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:34 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
This is what Garth Brooks was whining about a few years back. He thought he should be paid again when one of his CD's was sold at a garage sale. By that logic when you resell your Ford or Toyota, should you pay Ford and Toyota again? Hell no.

Metallica was one of the biggest whiners about sites like Kazaa and Limewire and look where their careers are now......karmas a beyotch.

Too bad most of Metallica's best music is from the Black album on back! Perhaps if they would have continued to make good music (and I love their first 4 albums) they would have sold more cds instead of people downloading individual songs.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNEwx_46 View Post
The person who originally uploaded the material is the thief. Not the downloader(s).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
How does one steal, when it is right there for the taking?

The person offering the free downloads, is the person that is the crook, not the opportunist.
That does bring up an interesting question.

Say person A downloads a movie from Amazon, and Amazon doesnt pay the fee for the authority to distribute.

Why is the downloader breaking the law, not the distributor?

Old 09-20-2011, 11:39 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Can you tell us how, US LAWS affect someone living in China?
I've seen some dumb things posted here, yours is one of the top ten...

International copyright agreements

Quote:
there are international treaties which provide protection automatically for all creative works as soon as they are fixed in a medium. There are two primary international copyright agreements, the Buenos Aires Convention and the Berne Convention for the Protection of Literary and Artistic Works.

Please show me where I said US LAWS were being broken...

Methinks you either need reading glasses or knock off the Kool-Aid...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:40 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post

What a lot of artists and movie makers don't understand is that internet piracy often introduces people to their work who might otherwise never heard it or seen it.

Most of the movies and TV series I have purchased on DVD or bought off iTunes in the past three or so years I have originally downloaded illegally, but decided to buy the higher-quality version. A lot of them I was skeptical of buying in the first place and decided to look into it before buying.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,621,351 times
Downloading music illegally isn't the same as stealing. Stealing involves a physical product that has defined costs associated where someone had print, press and distribute the product. Downloading music is more like sneaking into a concert than grabbing a CD off the rack. Sneaking into a concert is only a lost sale if that person was previously planning to buy a ticket, before someone left the gate unattended.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:48 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,140,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
What a lot of artists and movie makers don't understand is that internet piracy often introduces people to their work who might otherwise never heard it or seen it.

Most of the movies and TV series I have purchased on DVD or bought off iTunes in the past three or so years I have originally downloaded illegally, but decided to buy the higher-quality version. A lot of them I was skeptical of buying in the first place and decided to look into it before buying.
Exactly, if I hear an illegal version of Clapton's "Layla", I'm off to the music department buying the 3 disc greatest hits set at $24.95.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:54 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I've seen some dumb things posted here, yours is one of the top ten...

International copyright agreements
so, that means as a US citizen, I can hire a US Lawyer and SUE someone in China for copyright infringement?

Please show me how I can do this (and before you say you can, I've already gone through this, being an artist myself and having my artwork stolen to be used as designs on tshirts). Please illustrate in GREAT detail how a US Citizen can sue someone in China for a crime.

Quote:
Please show me where I said US LAWS were being broken...
You do know that its US Laws that one from the US has to make a claim under in order to show damage.

Tell me how a person in China is obligated to show up for a US court to defend him/herself over his criminal activities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies