Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
Stealing involves a physical product that has defined costs associated where someone had print, press and distribute the product.
Wrong. Theft is the taking of property, real or intangible, without the owners permission.

Quote:
Downloading music is more like sneaking into a concert than grabbing a CD off the rack.
Apples an oranges. Sneaking into a concert without paying isn't theft. That is trespassing.

Taking a CD off a rack without paying is shoplifting (a form of theft).

Quote:
Sneaking into a concert is only a lost sale if that person was previously planning to buy a ticket, before someone left the gate unattended.
Trespassing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 12:01 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,169,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I'm still waiting to hear from all the people who think file sharing is such a heinous crime yet have no problem at all with the Chinese stealing and copying (and then selling the knockoffs back to America)...
Yes it's wrong and illegal, and if it's shipped to the U.S. it should all be gathered up and burned, and anyone shipping it imprisoned and fined heavily, and all U.S. assets frozen, and then used to pay any fines.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:05 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,469,122 times
Interesting, one of the few threads where a good deal of lefties and righties agree.

It's also interesting that a lot of the righties are supporting copyright infringement but would blow a gasket if someone in the US ever committed patent infringement to produce low cost/free prescription drug medication.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:07 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,273,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Yes it's wrong and illegal, and if it's shipped to the U.S. it should all be gathered up and burned, and anyone shipping it imprisoned and fined heavily, and all U.S. assets frozen, and then used to pay any fines.

Well, I'd go far as even fining and imprisoning the person/company who knowingly ORDERED the items in the first place.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:26 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,204,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
But it doesn't happen does it?

Only Americans are persecuted.....

Only Americans are fined ludicrous amounts and have their lives destroyed...

If a person breaks a copyright law fine them a couple of hundred bucks per infringement but $22,500.00 per infringement?

That's despicable and evil.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:31 PM

1,695 posts, read 3,045,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
so, that means as a US citizen, I can hire a US Lawyer and SUE someone in China for copyright infringement?

Please show me how I can do this (and before you say you can, I've already gone through this, being an artist myself and having my artwork stolen to be used as designs on tshirts). Please illustrate in GREAT detail how a US Citizen can sue someone in China for a crime.

You do know that its US Laws that one from the US has to make a claim under in order to show damage.

Tell me how a person in China is obligated to show up for a US court to defend him/herself over his criminal activities?

You can bring an action at the International Trade Commission, in D.C. for infringement of Intellectual Property by an Importer. Once successful, they will ban the goods from entry into the US and can award damages.

Been There, Done That!

Old 09-20-2011, 12:55 PM

1,598 posts, read 1,937,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
What a lot of artists and movie makers don't understand is that internet piracy often introduces people to their work who might otherwise never heard it or seen it.

Most of the movies and TV series I have purchased on DVD or bought off iTunes in the past three or so years I have originally downloaded illegally, but decided to buy the higher-quality version. A lot of them I was skeptical of buying in the first place and decided to look into it before buying.

Mild piracy and sharing only helps most artist. The only ones it hurts are the mega huge acts that are at the top of the charts and are over exposed anyways. Hurts is a relative term as a few lost sales isn't really gonna hurt Metallica or Black Eyed Peas anyway.

I've discovered countless bands surfing around Napster (way back in the day), You Tube, etc... and ended up buying their CDs. Had I not gotten to hear them for free first I probably wouldn't have purchased any of their work.

Done my time in bands and have recorded a few CDs and have recently started playing again seriously. I fully intend to upload my music online for anyone to listen to and download should I record something I decide worthy of sharing. The internet is a great promotional tool that today's artists are lucky to have.

The music industry is going to change, hopefully for the benefit of the artist and to the detriment of the record companies. Hopefully, the record companies get cut out and talentless, hype generated acts (I'm looking at you Black Eyed Peas) no longer dominate the charts, more and more artists go DIY, retain their publishing and are able to make a living playing music without getting raped by the labels.

Old 09-20-2011, 01:04 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,993,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
Mild piracy and sharing only helps most artist. The only ones it hurts are the mega huge acts that are at the top of the charts and are over exposed anyways. Hurts is a relative term as a few lost sales isn't really gonna hurt Metallica or Black Eyed Peas anyway.

I've discovered countless bands surfing around Napster (way back in the day), You Tube, etc... and ended up buying their CDs. Had I not gotten to hear them for free first I probably wouldn't have purchased any of their work.

Done my time in bands and have recorded a few CDs and have recently started playing again seriously. I fully intend to upload my music online for anyone to listen to and download should I record something I decide worthy of sharing. The internet is a great promotional tool that today's artists are lucky to have.

The music industry is going to change, hopefully for the benefit of the artist and to the detriment of the record companies. Hopefully, the record companies get cut out and talentless, hype generated acts (I'm looking at you Black Eyed Peas) no longer dominate the charts, more and more artists go DIY, retain their publishing and are able to make a living playing music without getting raped by the labels.
Well said! Though I don't mind the Black Eyed Peas. But I know what you mean, and maybe I'm finally showing my age, but music today isn't nearly as good as it was even 10 years ago! We got stuck for the past few days here at work listening to our local top 40 station, (thank GOD we finally changed the damn station) and it was the SAME 5 SONGS over and over and over and over.............ALL DAY for 8 f***n' hours! And (again I may finally be showing my age) they ALL sound the same! And I was a DJ for many years! I'm quite glad that I no longer spin in clubs! I'd go crazy having to play all of the Lil Wayne and Lady Gaga crap on a weekend basis!

For the record the fines are overkill! Small fine, yes maybe. Then again perhaps if there was more talent in the music industry today.... But thousands of dollars is ridiculous!

Old 09-20-2011, 01:08 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Agreed, and nothing shows that copyright laws need to be reformed than stupid rulings like this one. When we allow the special interest groups and their lobbyists to write the laws this si what we get. A company that makes a life-saving drug is only given a 5 year exclusive right to sell it and try and recoup the hundreds of millions they invested in inventing it yet a piece of crap song can have its copyright extended forever (50 years after the 'death' of the copyright holder but the copyright holder is a corporation and corporations don't die of old age).
So much for the wind vain approach for defending property rights.

Old 09-20-2011, 02:08 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,935,344 times
$675000? At a buck a song that's an awful lot of music to steal. I'd like to know how they arrived at that amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies