Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 09:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,786,360 times

Advertisements

There is another problem with population size as the decider. Countries might simply cheat when stating their population, or even try to grow their populations in order to gain weight

Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're lost. Re read the thread. I reject representation based only on population or 1 country 1 vote....I favor a mixture of the two with an expanded security council and a veto override.
And who gets the veto right and why, if not everyone?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,978,718 times
I think the best thing to do is to abolish the UN, and the U.S. withdraw from all international organizations and treaties that have nothing to do with peace treaties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Basically there is a similar situation within the US and other federal countries such as Germany. The various states differ a lot in terms of population size, economic weight, etc., but how is that to be reflected in a fair way when sending delegates to a federal institution such as parlament

In the US some states such as California and New York have many more representatives than small states, and thus more weight.
We don't have that problem in the U.S. That's why we have a Senate with equal representation in the Congress, while the House reflects the proportionment of the states' populations. I don't know how your parliament is set up if it's similar to Canada's or the UK's, is it?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:15 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,898,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You're lost. Re read the thread. I reject representation based only on population or 1 country 1 vote....I favor a mixture of the two with an expanded security council and a veto override.
WHY do you not favor one nation one vote?

What is the downside to this in your opinion?

Is it that the USA would have less power?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I think the best thing to do is to abolish the UN, and the U.S. withdraw from all international organizations and treaties that have nothing to do with peace treaties

We don't have that problem in the U.S. That's why we have a Senate with equal representation in the Congress, while the House reflects the proportionment of the states' populations. I don't know how your parliament is set up if it's similar to Canada's or the UK's, is it?
Not sure about Portugal. In the German "Senate" so to speak each state has between 3 and 6 votes, depending on population size.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
WHY do you not favor one nation one vote?

What is the downside to this in your opinion?

Is it that the USA would have less power?
That is the reason, of course.

The UN Security Council for instance is often used for promoting national foreign politics. This chart for instance shows the number of vetoes by the five permanent members of the Security Council.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/e/ec/UNSC_veto.svg (broken link)

It is clearly a cold-war relic, why else would the UK and France be permanent members of the SC?

Old 09-23-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post

It is clearly a cold-war relic, why else would the UK and France be permanent members of the SC?
I know,pretty odd France and the UK were ever included,probably more to do with both still having empires.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:57 AM

329 posts, read 267,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
I know,pretty odd France and the UK were ever included,probably more to do with both still having empires.
More to do with winning the Second World War.

Old 09-23-2011, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
More to do with winning the Second World War.
Yeah...France didn't win.

The UK did at least stay in the fight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies