Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Wall St. protesters?
Yes 157 51.48%
No 148 48.52%
Voters: 305. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 05:35 PM

5,638 posts, read 6,518,058 times

Advertisements

The Occupy Movement is growing by leaps and bounds, there is no turning back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 06:05 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
An illustrated guide: The homes Kamp Alinsky Kids won’t protest

You knew it was coming. The Kamp Alinsky Kids are taking a sight-seeing tour today. After a month of trashing Zuccotti Park at a public cost of $2 million per day, the riff-raff is marching uptown to occupy…wealthy people’s private homes.
According to the NY Daily News: “A ‘Millionaires March’ will visit the homes – or, more realistically, the gleaming marble lobbies – of five of the city’s wealthiest residents, including News Corp. CEO Rupert Murdoch, JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon and conservative billionaire David Koch.”
Some millionaires and billionaires and their homes get protected, of course. Billionaire NYC Mayor Bloomberg, who refuses to crack down on protesters who have no permit to conduct the march, has a pass. Former Enron adviser Paul Krugman’s compound is off-limits. So is NY-based billionaire hedge fund mogul, Obama donor, and Dodd-Frank waiver beneficiary George Soros.

Scandal-plagued LightSquared billionaire investor and Obama donor Philip Falcone owns a $49 million Upper East Side palace that won’t be on the protest route.
GE billionaire fat cat Jeffrey Immelt won’t be targeted, either.
Outside NYC, Billionaire Obama donor and Solyndra peddler George Kaiser isn’t even on their radar.
Also on the immunity list: Al Gore’s multiple mansions, including his $9 million Montecito oceanfront villa:

there's more
Michelle Malkin » An illustrated guide: The homes Kamp Alinsky Kids won’t protest
So are you saying that the president has something to do with this?

Old 10-11-2011, 06:06 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
A little contrast from the past:

Quote:
Friday, Dec. 06, 1968

Chicago's newspapers repeatedly listed diabolical threats aimed at the city, ranging from burning Chicago down by flooding the sewers with gasoline, to dumping LSD in the water supply, to having 10,000 nude bodies float on Lake Michigan. Also widely accepted was the boast that from 100,000 to 200,000 demonstrators would descend on Chicago. Actually, the report estimates, only about 5,000 demonstrators came from out of town—of the 668 persons arrested, 364 were from Illinois and of these 276 were Chicagoans.
Nation: CHICAGO EXAMINED: ANATOMY OF A POLICE RIOT' - TIME

I guess the OWS hippies should be proud. They managed to get more people arrested than the 1968 riots in Chicago which was fueled by the death of MLK, Jr.

Quote:
Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929 – April 4, 1968)
Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In terms of how this is going to go out, it'll be with a huge bang. These people are going to be one of the main reasons the democrats lose the senate and the presidency. Watch.

Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 PM

1,054 posts, read 1,793,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
A little contrast from the past:

Nation: CHICAGO EXAMINED: ANATOMY OF A POLICE RIOT' - TIME

I guess the OWS hippies should be proud. They managed to get more people arrested than the 1968 riots in Chicago which was fueled by the death of MLK, Jr.

Martin Luther King, Jr. - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

In terms of how this is going to go out, it'll be with a huge bang. These people are going to be one of the main reasons the democrats lose the senate and the presidency. Watch.
These protests include people of all political views not just Dem. Besides Obama reaped/s in a ton of money from Corporations for his campaigns just like the republican candidates did/do so I don't think it matters whether you are republican or Democrat this is about the general American populace

Old 10-11-2011, 08:40 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,473,584 times
You're right. There are some anarchist there. There's not a single conservative there that isn't there to have a little populist fun and learn, as best of a chance as they can muster up, what it would have been like in 1917 revolutionary Russia.

Gain power through demagoguery then utterly fail because demagogic movements aren't about logic which is why demagogues has the definition it does.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:41 PM

125 posts, read 218,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Yes, the reason I don't support these protestors is that they aren't protesting what they should be protesting.

They have their guy in the White House, they have their big government bailouts that their Pelosi, Kennedy, Obama pushed through. They supported Bill Clinton whose main claim to fame besides Monica and blow jobs was the signing of NAFTA which sent the jobs out of the country.

They want to bring down Wall Street, but they don't understand what's behind the economical problems of this country.
Please give a thorough explanation of what IS behind the economic problems in this country today. Origins and current events please.

Old 10-11-2011, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I'm a moderate republican and small business owner who has zero options in my own party now because it's been taken over by radical right wingers and corporate cronies. I'm upset with both the D's and the R's because I don't think either side is working in my interest. Like the protests or not, they're making people think and venting lots of the frustration that everyday Americans have with our current economic situation. I think the protest movement these kids have started is only going to get bigger. That said, the only way we're going to have reform on Wall Street is if the people we've elected--R's and D's--pass laws that make it happen. You can bring attention and involve people by working outside of the system, but you can't actually make change without working in it. Right now their goals are all over the place, but if they can sort it out and come up with a agenda that appeals to every day America, and an action plan to get there, I think we might actually see real fiscal reform in this country. We'll have to see what happens.
Nicely stated mb1547. Thanks!

Old 10-11-2011, 10:50 PM

Just saw on twitter there's a Faux News poll today asking if people agree with the OWS that corporate greed is responsible for what's happening to the little guy. So far it's 69% of responders agreeing with the OWS. Bet Faux didn't expect that -- and for sure they'll ignore the poll on Smarm Hammity, Billo The Clown, and other Faux shows.

Mainstream TV stations should pick up on this and broadcast it far and wide.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
I learned something a few months ago. Being that we are low income, I was hoping we could qualify for a voucher when I got our female dog spayed. I'm a firm believer in being responsible and having all my dogs fixed. I was told, that since we aren't on any gov't program, welfare, food stamps, etc, that we couldn't qualify for a voucher. It appears to me that they reward those that are dependents and screw those of us that are making ends meet. It's not based on anything other than that.
I wonder if medical care works the same way. A broken leg is one price to those struggling on their own, and another price for those on gov't programs.
In other words, are we being punished for not being on the dole?
Dunno about the price on government programs, but it sure works that way for insured vs. non-insured. Blue Cross gets paid one pre-negotiated amount, and the struggling non-insured person pays up to triple that amount or more -- some doctors and dentists will work with you on reducing the self-pay price, but a lot of them depend on the working poor to pump up their $$$$ intake. That's an ugly truth.

Also, doctors have negotiated service amounts with insurance companies whereby the doctor gets a higher percentage of a pre-agreed amount per service if the doctor turns in fewer "covered" services to the insurance company each month [or quarter or other period]. So doctors have an incentive to write up services for you that are not covered by your particular policy. Most doctors are honest, but they all play the system to some degree.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:10 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
I wonder when the 99% will realize that compared to most of the rest of the world, they are the 1% ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies