Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2011, 10:15 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
I live in the desert. The rivers here are full of dust and dirt, not water. In an emergency situation, I suppose you could try a dust bath ...

I've worked at McDonald's. Despite the fact that they are low wage entry level jobs, not everyone is capable of doing them. Really. And they, like everyone else, have many more applicants than positions. Who do you think they'll prefer to hire - the nice looking teen or the grubby homeless person who's washing up in their bathroom?
Well said. In the Michael Moore documentary "Roger and Me" they talked about how many ex-GM workers went to work for fast food restaurants. Many couldn't handle it, so they were fired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 10:19 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
mohawkx Sure, 3 Shepards gives me a link showing me how many color tvs poor people own but the link is nothing more than by the very same group who invented the agenda of dismantling the social safety nets that exist in our country today.
More like reforming them. Young people do not need to sit around and do nothing. Idle bodies do them no good. It's good for the young to get out and work. Not encouraging young women to have babies just to get a pay check. Reform the system and get people back to work so they can provide for their selves. Gosh that's just mean!!

Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I have no compassion for anyone who would be too lazy to take a job that was offered but claimed he was poor and I mean jobs like farm work or dry wall installation. Those jobs that apparently no American, even the welfare types won't do that we need to import millions of illegals to do.

There are those who believe they should not have to take jobs that are "beneath them" yet they expect to be provided for.
Dry wall installation is a hard job that a lot of people wouldn't know how to do right.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There is an element in society that does attempt to abuse the system but you and your fellow posters of the right paint with too broad a brush. I'd love to see a mechinism in place with our government social safety nets that constantly screened the recipients for exactly that long term dependency of which you speak.
Nobody ever born says they want to live in a welfare poverty system all their lives. Nobody decides that they want to live poor and just barely surviving, not knowing what next week will bring, never mind next year.
But here and now, you and your compatriots paint the poor with too broad a brush. You have an agenda and that is to dismantle all social safety nets as much as you can so you use the minority bad example to group all poor as the same. Never once has anyone given actual statistics to show the percentage of people who abuse the system vs the percentage of people who actually need it at the time. Sure, 3 Shepards gives me a link showing me how many color tvs poor people own but the link is nothing more than by the very same group who invented the agenda of dismantling the social safety nets that exist in our country today.
How many poor people do you know? I mean know personally, have maybe been to their house, listened to their troubles, met their children etc.? I'm guessing not many or you would know that the bad example is not a minority.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
Dude, that's in the old days. Tried bathing in a modern day river today? And get chemicals on your skin? Or get swept away and drowned?
There has been a lot of mining in my area and it was before they had rules about what you should throw into the river. So , now if you bathe in it you could grow 3 sets of teeth and hair on your tongue.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
I have noticed that this has come up a lot lately, there was even a thread here about poor people owning XBOX and flat-screens.

Here's the thing about that in my opinion. Poor people often make bad financial decisions. Financial decisions and other decisions such as education seem to be the issues. Well, when poor people DO get income they make bad buying decisions. Decisions may be to buy things of entertainment instead of fixing their car, paying for school or even investing. So, just because someone owns something like an XBOX doesn't mean they aren't poor. Take the person who does get an income tax return. They may have only brought in $8,000 that year with a household of three children. They are going to get a lot of money from tax credits and where does that money go? On many things that they DO NOT need as people who have income in the poverty ranges.

It's very strange and unfortunate. People can be using government funds because they don't make enough money to be ineligible, but once tax return comes around, they can get many luxury things. Those things such as the XBOX will remain their possessions because they are obviously non-perishable and will remain even when the family is having continued hard times. The result is that many low-income or poor families have those luxury entertainment items around the house.
This is exactly what happens. Unfortunately, sometimes buying these things gets priority over feeding children. Iv' seen it happen.

Old 10-10-2011, 12:51 AM

4,875 posts, read 10,074,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
This is exactly what happens. Unfortunately, sometimes buying these things gets priority over feeding children. Iv' seen it happen.
I had a friend who was a social worker, and she said that it was some kind of "compensation" lower income families make. Because they can't get one set of luxuries, they overdo it with another to try to feel better or something

Old 10-10-2011, 01:11 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,566,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenSJC View Post
Nice sarcastic post there. But really, tens of millions of Americans live below the poverty line, and tens of millions more live pretty close to it. And they didn't choose that life.

Would you choose a life of poverty?
Rich is enjoying what you have, poor is complaining about not having what you want.
If you try sometimes, ya get whatchya need.

Old 10-10-2011, 05:55 AM

87 posts, read 92,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post
How many poor people do you know? I mean know personally, have maybe been to their house, listened to their troubles, met their children etc.? I'm guessing not many or you would know that the bad example is not a minority.

As I've mentioned before, I grew up "poor". My family was, I was, and a lot of my friends were. I wasn't as bad off as the family across the street...they actually walked to the RIVER and got buckets of water to bathe and cook with (this is true, I remember being heartsick for them). They didn't have a TV. They also didn't complain...not once. They had pride. So did we. My mother's family was so poor that my grandmother made them clothes out of her old clothes.

We were poor. Not just a little.

I was a single mom for years. I did better than my grandparents did, and pretty darn well for just one person. I always had power, water, food...and my kids had clothes.

I have "rubbed elbows" with the poor. I've lived in the same apartment complex.

I can tell you without a DOUBT...there are people out there REFUSING to work and do what needs to be done to support themselves and their children. I have heard things such as, "Why do you work, and leave your children in someone's care, when you can be better off getting welfare and food stamps? They will pay your RENT for you. Your medical bills." One girl actually looked down on me and called me a bad mother for working instead of staying home.

I was struggling. I had no insurance for years because if I had...I wouldn't have had food. No lie.

So yes, I KNOW America's poor.

And I'm here to tell you....a good percentage of them DO choose to stay in the system. Because working just isn't worth it to them. We need to change the system so that working IS worth it.

I hope this clears things up.

Old 10-10-2011, 07:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
There is an element in society that does attempt to abuse the system but you and your fellow posters of the right paint with too broad a brush. I'd love to see a mechinism in place with our government social safety nets that constantly screened the recipients for exactly that long term dependency of which you speak.
Nobody ever born says they want to live in a welfare poverty system all their lives. Nobody decides that they want to live poor and just barely surviving, not knowing what next week will bring, never mind next year.
But here and now, you and your compatriots paint the poor with too broad a brush. You have an agenda and that is to dismantle all social safety nets as much as you can so you use the minority bad example to group all poor as the same. Never once has anyone given actual statistics to show the percentage of people who abuse the system vs the percentage of people who actually need it at the time. Sure, 3 Shepards gives me a link showing me how many color tvs poor people own but the link is nothing more than by the very same group who invented the agenda of dismantling the social safety nets that exist in our country today.
No one says they want to live poor but they don't consider the welfare life to be living poor. Te welfare life isn't about not knowing what the future brings, they assume the future will bring at least the same amount of food stamps, WIC coupons, utility payments, clothing allowance, and housing. In fact if they have another baby, they assume there will be more of everything.

Those living on welfare have the least uncertainty, certainly less than working types who aren't sure their employer will be able to keep the same number of employees or who may see property taxes go up. Those living on welfare have much faith in their government to come through and always be there for them, they have faith the food stamp card will be filled on time, as it always is. They have faith that the doctor's office isn't going to charge them a co-pay because Medicaid pays everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies