Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2011, 11:17 AM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the pollution that comes out of the smoke stacks of coal fired plants is not commerce.

If people will pay good money tp not have plumes of smoke from coal fired power plants drifting through there neighborhoods then it becomes commerce and a business opportunity. We don't have to go to far back in time to an America when it was acceptable to let sewage flow in the streets! Our standards have changed and that is unacceptable. The same will be true with emissions of combustion products from power plants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2011, 11:25 AM

26,212 posts, read 19,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Air Force View Post
I don't consider myself an environmentalist, but how dumb does one have to be to support coal companies that cannot clean up their act? They don't deserve to stay open if they cannot meet regulations. Clean air should always be of more value than saving money on electricity.
As this forum proves, there is no limit to stupidity. Just read how the water carriers for billionaires continue to shriek they should neither pay taxes or be responsible for the environmental damage they cause.

Clean air and environmental destruction do not matter to trained seals, FOX has drilled it into their pea sized brains it is one giant conspiracy to make them spend more of their hard earned money

Old 10-11-2011, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboblocke View Post
Apart from conspiracy theory type motives, has any one of the whiners actually asked why the regulations are being introduced and whether there are any benefits to cutting airborne pollution?

http://www.epa.gov/airquality/powerp...wfactsheet.pdf

Are you kidding me? Those people don't deal in facts, they deal in paranoia.

Remember, we lead the industrialized world in more than just pollution, it is called the Dumbing Down of America, and it's on display daily.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:36 AM

29,407 posts, read 21,996,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
In most of these states numerous large consummers of electricity are no more and aren't going to need power in the future. A shuttered Steel plant or Coking works or abandonned coal mines doesn't need to use electricity and this is obvious to anyone in Western Pennsulvania, Ohio or West Virginia. Add to that the fact that companies like GM gave closed over half their factories and you have even less demand.
That may be true but what happens when the economy picks up? Or I guess it won't be able to because there is no power. Lights been turned out by the EPA. Off somewhere with lights!!

Old 10-11-2011, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
and you do you know what is one of the most polluted place in the world is?

Linfen, China.

can you guess what causes the pollution?

Coal.

World's 10 Most Polluted Places | LiveScience

Linfen, China - The World's Most Polluted Places - TIME
Your article from LiveScience is from 2006. Now that the EPA has declared co2 a pollutant in the US I wonder where old Linfen China stands now? Only way to stop all this dastardly polluting now is to hold your breath.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:38 AM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
That may be true but what happens when the economy picks up? Or I guess it won't be able to because there is no power. Lights been turned out by the EPA. Off somewhere with lights!!

drama queening it up much?

The coal industry will still be there. There are just more restrictions now. Doesn't mean its going to go kaput tomorrow. A month from now, or even 5 years from now.

The companies are being held to keeping it clean. If they can't, they can close up shop.

I don't know about you, but I rather have a clean world for future generations to enjoy, than say the smog infested, lung cancer inducing world that the coal industry is contributing to. I mean look at Linfen, China. Not exactly a tourist spot.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:41 AM

Quote:

The coal industry will still be there. There are just more restrictions now. Doesn't mean its going to go kaput tomorrow. A month from now, or even 5 years from now.

The companies are being held to keeping it clean. If they can't, they can close up shop.

I don't know about you, but I rather have a clean world for future generations to enjoy, than say the smog infested, lung cancer inducing world that the coal industry is contributing to. I mean look at Linfen, China. Not exactly a tourist spot.
It's not only too late but any EPA regulations or false claims on "clean coal" are not more than a drop in the bucket. Window dressing meant to appease people ywho realize the dire consequences of our changing, polluted world. I'm fairly certain the industry has posters here, and elsewhere, spreading disinformation on their behalf.

Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:

Your calling me a drama queen?? LOL

The state of Texas is suing the EPA because they won't give em the time to get the plants up to their standards. They house held hearings about it and the EPA didn't even show up. They don't really care apparently that rolling blackouts would have been across Texas if these measures were implemented this year. I guess you folks don't either.

Look at North Korea. This what you want?

218 - Korea's Dark Half | Strange Maps | Big Think

Old 10-11-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
It's not only too late but any EPA regulations or false claims on "clean coal" are not more than a drop in the bucket. Window dressing meant to appease people ywho realize the dire consequences of our changing, polluted world. I'm fairly certain the industry has posters here, and elsewhere, spreading disinformation on their behalf.
I bet there are black vans outside your house with the engine running too.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Your calling me a drama queen?? LOL
Yes, your posts wreak of over dramatic claims and reaction

Quote:
The state of Texas is suing the EPA because they won't give em the time to get the plants up to their standards.
And that is the EPA's problem how? Texas' fault for not having laws in place to nip it in the bud before it became a problem.

Quote:
They house held hearings about it and the EPA didn't even show up.
They don't have to show up.

Quote:
They don't really care apparently that rolling blackouts would have been across Texas if these measures were implemented this year.
And this is EPA's problem how? Texas should have been proactive instead of reactive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies