Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 02:05 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times

Advertisements

sigh this thread will get ugly.

Also, I've never heard anyone anywhere, except for this forum of course, state that OWS wants 50k for not working.

Oh and $20 an hour for minimum wage still means you have to work which I'm sure 99% or the 99%ers want to actually do.

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
I saw it but I didn't take a photo-- but it does exist... and was held by lots of the protesters.

Don't be upset because we pointed out some of the ridiculous things OWS protesters were saying...
They are probably right-wing plants; trying to make fun of the movement.
Gee, I hope they weren't stupid enough to do it for free...

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The first thing we do when we win the revolution is destroy ALL of the debt records. That has happened after every revolution so far. It has also happened to the losers in every war.

At least the current law prevents debtors from selling themselves and their childern into slavery. Now debtors are only forced into wage slavery. That is an improvement.
I have no fear of a revolution from people who....

A) can't hold or even get a minimum wage job.

B) are anti-gun.

C) spend most of their time learning useless crap in university.

564 posts, read 892,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
What does all that have to do with the class warfare game being perpetrated by the democrats?
So all you 99%'ers what happens when there is no 1% left??

Ahhh, I was answering the OP Question...

Old 10-13-2011, 02:06 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
Oh Lord why do I try. This entire thing zinnnnngggg right over your head.

Maybe you should protest me. Give you something to do.
You're not worth that kind of effort. In fact, even talking to you online is tiring, since you don't seem to grasp how inane your argument is.

None of your comments have gone over my head. In fact, they're quite transparent, and I've responded to them directly.

Your argument is a strawman. The things you claim OWS wants, they do not actually want. Please tell me what I've supposedly missed.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM

2,714 posts, read 4,282,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
This thread is a perfect example of an extended straw man argument.

KUChief25 says that OWS wants something that they aren't actually demanding, then precedes to argue about how stupid that demand is.
How do you know? They are all demanding different things... that's what I noticed at the one in Dallas...

There was no common demands. Saying that "they have demands" is stupid because every single one of them wanted something different...

... But plenty of them wanted a $20/hr min wage... LOL

Old 10-13-2011, 02:07 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
It's literally impossible for there not to be a 1%. Did you ever consider that? Do you understand how marginal taxes work? Good lord.
It's also impossible to have a society without a bottom rung labor pool.

Some people live in palaces and some people live in motel rooms.

It is what it is.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Then like I've been saying all along these folks are protesting at the wrong address. Nice to see someone agree.
Yelling at the bankers is a lot like yelling at the dog for grabbing a steak off the kitchen counter. You don't leave raw meat laying out when a dog is present.

That being said, we've already tried DC. Those gangsters are impenetrable at this point, until folks realize that party politics are the root cause of this.

So they're going after those who pushed for, and benefited from. Makes sense. Of course I still think it should be a two-pronged approach. The folks in DC are SUPPOSED to be the gatekeepers.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
This thread is a perfect example of an extended straw man argument.

KUChief25 says that OWS wants something that they aren't actually demanding, then precedes to argue about how stupid that demand is.
What is their demand. Tax those who have more and give it to me so I have more. Isn't that their demand led by the class warfare agenda of the left? Yes I think it is. When will it end? That is the question. Maybe you can poll your buddies and get back to me since you seem to have the pulse of the protesters in your palm. When will it be enough? When you you deem it's now fair? Never of course. Like I said right over your head.

Old 10-13-2011, 02:11 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,940,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclone8570 View Post
How do you know? They are all demanding different things... that's what I noticed at the one in Dallas...

There was no common demands. Saying that "they have demands" is stupid because every single one of them wanted something different...

... But plenty of them wanted a $20/hr min wage... LOL
"Every single one of them wanted something different"

"But plenty of them wanted a $20/hr min wage"

lol

Many cities are proposing demands and speaking to each other about common themes. Here's Chicago.

Quote:
These are the list of proposed demands. They will be up for vote tonight at 7pm @ 500 S Michigan Ave in front of the horse.

1.PASS HR 1489 REINSTATING GLASS-STEAGALL. – A depression era safeguard that separated the commercial lending and investment banking portions of banks. Its repeal in 1999 is considered the major cause of the global financial meltdown of 2008-2009.

2. REPEAL BUSH TAX CUTS FOR THE WEALTHY

3. FULLY INVESTIGATE AND PROSECUTE THE WALL STREET CRIMINALS who clearly broke the law and helped cause the 2008 financial crisis.

4.OVERTURN CITIZENS UNITED v. US. – A 2010 Supreme Court Decision which ruled that money is speech. Corporations, as legal persons, are now allowed to contribute unlimited amounts of money to campaigns in the exercise of free “speech.”

5. PASS THE BUFFET RULE ON FAIR TAXATION, CLOSE CORPORATE TAX LOOPHOLES, PROHIBIT HIDING FUNDS OFFSHORE.

6. GIVE THE SEC STRICTER REGULATORY POWER, STRENGTHEN THE CONSUMER PROTECTION BUREAU, AND PROVIDE ASSISTANCE FOR OWNERS OF FORECLOSED MORTGAGES WHO WERE VICTIMS OF PREDATORY LENDING.

7.TAKE STEPS TO LIMIT THE INFLUENCE OF LOBBYISTS AND ELIMINATE THE PRACTICE OF LOBBYISTS WRITING LEGISLATION.

8. ELIMINATE RIGHT OF FORMER GOVERNMENT REGULATORS TO WORK FOR CORPORATIONS OR INDUSTRIES THEY ONCE REGULATED.

9. ELIMINATE CORPORATE PERSONHOOD.

10. INSIST THE FEC STAND UP FOR THE PUBLIC INTEREST IN REGULATING PRIVATE USE OF PUBLIC AIRWAVES to help ensure that political candidates ARE GIVEN EQUAL TIME for free at reasonable intervals during campaign season.

11. REFORM CAMPAIGN FINANCE WITH THE PASSAGE OF THE FAIR ELECTIONS NOW ACT (S.750, H.R. 1404).

12. FORGIVE STUDENT DEBT – The same institutions that gave almost $2T in bailouts and then extended $16T of loans at little to no interest for banks can surely afford to forgive the $946B of student debt currently held. Not only does this favor the 99% over the 1%, it has the practical effect of more citizens spending money on actual goods, not paying down interest.
Yeah, definitely want to make everyone equal and raise the minimum wage to $20. Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies