Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 02:23 PM

4,209 posts, read 3,588,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
You blame corporations rather than taking responsibility. Juts a difference of how people choose to live. The person in the OP lived and went to college debt free taking personal responsibility.

So its a matter of a point of view about life. either you want to blame others like corporations who by the way hire alot of people , or you take responsibility for yourself and stop blaming others. just a matter of how one wants to live, blame others or take responsibility for one self
Exactly!

And this is the simple, easy, concept the entitlement happy idiots on the left refuse to understand and accept.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 02:39 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).
I think the following 2 statements are in conflict. The first goes along way to explaining why he is not in debt.
received 2 scholarships which cover 90% of my tuition
I expect nothing to be handed to me

Old 10-20-2011, 02:56 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
Hahah and meanwhile none of that will matter as the corporations that have no loyalty to America or Americans could care less about upstanding or responsnible or hardworking young men and women like him/her and would much rather pay some 13 year old teen girl in China pennies to sew some Nike shoes together or some Indian to work in their call center. While I can appreciate this kids message and his heart is in the right place.......in the end he's clueless. While he plays by the rules everyone around him i.e. the rich fat cats in Washington and their plutocrat friends on WallStreet are bending him over with 9 inches of plastic in one hand and a tub of vaseline in the other.

This idealistic young person hasn't even said whether or not he has a damn job lined up after college! LOL Holding a feel good sign like that isn't going to put food on the table.
Sounds like he is already putting food on the table, and living life while working part time. imagine how much more money this person will have no longer having to pay for college, and once they GET a decent job, imagine how much MORE money they will have.

In the end you are clueless.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:06 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,388,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
EXPECTING someone to hand something to you and having something available to be handed out by donors are two different things. Now apply that to some of the crap backward mentality of the OWS crowd.
Bragging about how you don't expect anything to be handed to you while taking a handout is hypocrisy. If you want to complain about OWS you can. I will not target a bunch of people who have been screwed by a sh*tty economy from the start and burdened with an 11 trillion dollar national debt they did not create.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:34 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Bragging about how you don't expect anything to be handed to you while taking a handout is hypocrisy. If you want to complain about OWS you can. I will not target a bunch of people who have been screwed by a sh*tty economy from the start and burdened with an 11 trillion dollar national debt they did not create.
Obviously you failed to get the point. Expecting a handout is different than taking one. I didn't target the OWS crowd generally but specifically those who have the mindset of expecting handouts.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Obviously you failed to get the point. Expecting a handout is different than taking one. I didn't target the OWS crowd generally but specifically those who have the mindset of expecting handouts.
That is parsing if I have ever seen it.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:42 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.
Excellent points all.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:49 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
That is parsing if I have ever seen it.
Welcome to analysis. Welcome to trying to give people the benifit of the doubt before smashing their character. Welcome to the fact that languages have ambiguities. Shall I go on?

Old 10-20-2011, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Welcome to analysis. Welcome to trying to give people the benifit of the doubt before smashing their character. Welcome to the fact that languages have ambiguities. Shall I go on?
Ok since we are doing analysis lets take the second clause of that sentence. "and will continue work my *** off for everything I have." That language seems to imply a different meaning then what you try to parse it to say. After all it was you who said "taking a handout is different from expecting one." Now tell me how exactly do you work your *** off for a subsidy? I would posit that the author doesn't even realize the fact that s/he is getting a handout in the first place.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:08 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,939,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
https://www1.salliemae.com/NR/rdonly...ITS_N_0938.pdf

So explain how you came to that conclusion...
Wow, you're such a hilarious troll.

Interactive Map: State Support for Higher Education Continues to Fall - Government - The Chronicle of Higher Education

JSTOR: Examining Differences in State Support for Higher Education: A Comparative Study of State Appropriations for Research I Universities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies