Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 10:27 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
Or in the context of his point - he decided to go to College in the State that he lives in - not out of State becuase he would not get in State tuition. You do not know - do you? But if there is only one reason or you have psychic powers then you can attribute all kinds character judgements upon him - how convienent.

Whatever the case it is certainly not getting handouts 'left and right.' He said he works 30+ a week - does he pay taxes on that? Yes. Trying to bump up the numbers as if he is taking '$79,000' and '$10,000 - $60,000 subsidy' is what is grasping at straws. Then trying to accuse him of being a hypocrite, for whatever amount it may be, based on your assumption of the details is something you should be morally upset at not this guy.

Again, expecting handouts as if it is owed to you is a diffrent mindset than what I see in this person and what you are accusing him of. Whatever % it is irrelevent to that point. He never said that no one or himself should never take any help - he just does not expect it.

Get over it.
Selective Quoting for the WIN.

I said $10,000-$60,000+ If you don't believe me do the math yourself http://admissions.unc.edu/Aid_and_Sc...s/default.html

Besides that of course you can infer someone who says the went to an instate public university gets instate tuition, unless of course they are lying. Why else would you possibly say in-state public university when discussing your financial situtation? Have you ever heard of a reasonable inference.

Second I would say 90% scholarship plus tens thousands of dollars of tax subsidized tuition savings is getting help left and right. Now you may not think that is a big deal, but we can agree to disagree.

Furthermore if s/he his paying tens of thousands of dollars in state taxes for 30 hours a week, my only question would be which companies is s/he on the board of directors of. Somehow I doubt that is the case which would mean s/he is getting more benefit in tuition then she is paying out in taxes. Not to mention s/he probably gets other state governmental benefits as well...like use of the roads and police protection.

Again, hypocrisy is saying you don't expect anything and worked for everything while getting massive subsidies and gifts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 10:39 PM
2K5Gx2km

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Selective Quoting for the WIN.

I said $10,000-$60,000+

Besides that of course you can infer someone who says the went to an instate public university gets instate tuition, unless of course they are lying. Why else would you possibly say in-state public university when discussing your financial situtation? Have you ever heard of a reasonable inference.

Second I would say 90% scholarship plus tens thousands of dollars of tax subsidized tuition savings is getting help left and right. Now you may not think that is a big deal, but we can agree to disagree.

Furthermore if s/he his paying tens of thousands of dollars in state taxes for 30 hours a week, my only question would be which companies is s/he on the board of directors of. Somehow I doubt that is the case which would mean s/he is getting more benefit in tuition then she is paying out in taxes. Not to mention s/he probably gets other state governmental benefits as well.

Again, hypocrisy is saying you don't expect anything and worked for everything while getting massive subsidies and gifts.
That's fine - we can agree to disgree - this is getting old.

Making inference is ok - but using it as basis for judging someones chacter is suspect. There is a diffrence between someone saying 'I go to an in-state school' and 'I get in-state tuition' - the former would auotomatically get in-state tuition becuase they live in the state, the latter means that they are from out of state - the person in question never said the latter as you said he did which prejudices your judgment of him - I just pointed out the proper quote and context.

He never said he workd for everyhting - he said he was going to continue to work his ass off for everyhting he has. That's you sticking point for all of your hatred for this guy - man you one tough Mo-Fo.

Anyway, I am over this round-about.

Last edited by 2K5Gx2km; 10-20-2011 at 10:47 PM..

Old 10-20-2011, 10:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,394,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiloh1 View Post
That's fine - we can agree to disgree - this is getting old.

Making inference is ok - but using it as basis for judging someones chacter is suspect.

He never said he workd for everyhting - he said he was going to continue to work his ass off for everyhting he has. That's you sticking point for all of your hatred for this guy - man you one tough Mo-Fo.

Anyway, I am over this round-about.
I agree this is getting old.

I do not hate this person. I just think s/he is a hypocrite and not somebody that should be paraded around as an example of good character.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).
Responsibility at it's best.

Old 10-21-2011, 05:53 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,568,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Responsibility at it's best.
Read closely and analyze it. It's either hyperbole or a flat out lie.

Old 10-21-2011, 06:16 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
I agree this is getting old.

I do not hate this person. I just think s/he is a hypocrite and not somebody that should be paraded around as an example of good character.
You're right. It's much better to demand a 100% free ride for doing absolutely nothing other than breathing. Don't work hard to get scholarships. Heck, don't even bother to work your way through college.Go to the most expensive private liberal arts college you can get into and demand that everyone else pay for it. THAT is an example of good character in liberal fantasy world, huh?

Gosh, when my kids are college aged, I hope they are as 'character-faulted' as you claim this guy to be. An ambitious self starter. Oh, the horrors. Can you imagine a world filled with people like this guy?

Last edited by AuDiBelle; 10-21-2011 at 07:20 AM..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:09 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
You're right. It's much better to demand a 100% free ride for doing absolutely nothing other than breathing. Don't work hard to get scholarships. Heck, don't even bother to work your way through college.Go to the most expensive private liberal arts college you can get into. THAT is an example of good character in liberal fantasy world, huh?

Gosh, when my kids are college aged, I hope they are as 'character-faulted' as you claim this guy to be. An ambitious self starter. Oh, the horrors. Can you imagine a world filled with people like this guy?
Frankly, I think a world full of people as full of themselves as this guy/woman would be awful.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Frankly, I think a world full of people as full of themselves as this guy/woman would be awful.
Yeah, too many successful people would be downright awful.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:25 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
My children know how to find information without the use of a computer. Learning to use critical thinking skills to evaluate the information you do find on the internet is intelligence.
... and still we find this nations youth not knowing how to count change .. the machine does it for them .. long hand math is a thing of the past .. knowing how to balance the checkbook can't be done without a calculator ..

They lack imagination, creativity, critical thought.

Look around you .. the TV commercials, the cartoons, the movies .. they are all the same .. made by people who fail to enlighten, entertain or educate .. they are mundane and redundant .. insidious and inane .. uneducated.

In school, they weren't taught to think, or even to think for themselves ..

Old 10-21-2011, 07:35 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyVaz1009 View Post
For a couple of posters above who say that my generation "doesn't know how to think"...

So inform me, then. Since your schools were so incredibly, fantastically perfect when you were kids, tell me what you were taught.
We were taught how to use our minds .. not computers .. we can do the math in our heads or longhand showing the path to our right answers .. can you?

We were taught how to write and learned what English was .. we wrote it all out, longhand .. did you?

Do you even know what a pencil is?

Our current political climate is a direct result of our educational system failing our kids ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies