Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 07:42 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,331,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
Did you read my post? It is utter hypocrisy to take scholarships and not acknowledge that people are handing something to you and helping you in a big way. The people who set up scholarships do so as a gift to young people to help them study. They do not expect something for themselves in return aside from the satisfaction of giving, as I said sure you might have to put some effort in to keep getting scholarships, but they are pure magnanimity. You are indeed being handed something by a donor out of the donor's good will and to not acknowledge that fact just smacks of entitlement. It is the same with attending a public university. Every single person who pays state taxes is helping you get an education. Whether they like it or not they are handing you something to subsidize your learning.
Yeah, I read it and it's crap. Scholarships are earned, not guaranteed. They also aren't paid for by taxpayers and taxpayers aren't compelled to fund scholarships. In-state tuition that's tax subsidized is available to all for the benefit of all. Expecting me to pay off your student loan debt so you can start your career debt free is entitlement mentality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.
How many older people have I heard crying like babies because they ran up a $120,000 debt while going to school? I did hear one on this forum yesterday crying about that and saying that parents and others had said that you deserve to drive the best car you can get and that you should be able to have all those things you can't afford. Therefore, she borrowed money to have a good car and all the things this kid said he didn't have.

I spent 4 years getting my bachelor's degree with very minimal scholarships and working my butt off to pay for everything but that tiny amount of tuition. My parents gave me nothing in the way of money. I guess back in the day when we worked for 75 cents per hour nothing cost nearly as much as now, but I think this kid will never be holding out a hand for the freebies that so many of those dogs in OWS seem to think they deserve.

You are sh*tting yourself along with other lefties who think like you do but you are just willing to think that freebies have been earned.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
Yeah, I read it and it's crap. Scholarships are earned, not guaranteed. They also aren't paid for by taxpayers and taxpayers aren't compelled to fund scholarships. In-state tuition that's tax subsidized is available to all for the benefit of all. Expecting me to pay off your student loan debt so you can start your career debt free is entitlement mentality.
LMAO saying you have to work hard for scholarships while true is another entitlement view. If you are in school you should be going balls to the walls to get grades regardless. Academic ties to scholarships are just to ensure they are not wasted. Furthermore just because something isn't paid for by tax dollars doesn't mean it isn't a handout.

Last edited by Randomstudent; 10-19-2011 at 08:05 PM..

Old 10-19-2011, 07:46 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Us younger generations will have fix the mess that the older greedier generations have left behind. We wont fight culture wars. We will work for a more inclusive and smarter nation.
You need to pull your head out of your nether regions and look around some time.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:47 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,398,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
How many older people have I heard crying like babies because they ran up a $120,000 debt while going to school? I did hear one on this forum yesterday crying about that and saying that parents and others had said that you deserve to drive the best car you can get and that you should be able to have all those things you can't afford. Therefore, she borrowed money to have a good car and all the things this kid said he didn't have.

I spent 4 years getting my bachelor's degree with very minimal scholarships and working my butt off to pay for everything but that tiny amount of tuition. My parents gave me nothing in the way of money. I guess back in the day when we worked for 75 cents per hour nothing cost nearly as much as now, but I think this kid will never be holding out a hand for the freebies that so many of those dogs in OWS seem to think they deserve.

You are sh*tting yourself along with other lefties who think like you do but you are just willing to think that freebies have been earned.
I have been saying the exact opposite! I am saying that people should acknowledge freebies when and if they get them and be grateful. The fact is a scholarship is a break any way you cut it. It is not something like employment where everyone involved ideally makes money and is self interested. It saves you from having to pay yourself for an education because someone is generous enough to set them up. Furthermore regardless of whether or not you get a scholarship you should be working your butt off in school.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:15 PM

4,367 posts, read 3,486,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Us younger generations will have fix the mess that the older greedier generations have left behind. We wont fight culture wars. We will work for a more inclusive and smarter nation.
Especially the mulit-trillion dollar debt Obama left you.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:17 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Peters View Post
You might have seen this floating around Facebook/social networking sites. Your thoughts? Capitalism at it's finest, I say. Really feel a lot of youngsters could learn a lot from him (or her).
She is in college right now. What will she do when she graduates and cannot find a job in her field?

What will she do if she gets very sick?

If she ends up being a caregiver to someone else?

If one of her children ends up with cancer?

If she is seriously injured and cannot work?

As I always say, it's easy to have high minded ideals when you are not the one being affected.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:18 PM

28,163 posts, read 25,322,169 times
Quote:
I have written this once before but I think it bears repeating. As someone who got scholarships and worked in college. I have no respect for that person. They represent the worst of the entitlement mentality...e.g. a person getting all sorts of benefits while claiming they pulled themselves up by their bootstraps. I do not know what fantasy land this person lives in, but that message is hypocrisy at its finest. The person says that she received 2 scholarships and went to a public university, yet s/he "Expects nothing to be handed to me."

No matter how you slice it scholarships are something being handed to you. Sure you have to meet conditions, but the fact is scholarships are based purely on the magnanimity of a donor. In essence they are someone handing you something without direct benefit to themselves. To take a scholarship and then rather then being grateful say "I expect nothing to be handed to me" frosts my pumpkin. It shows not only an inflated sense of self worth, but also a distain for the people who set up that generous gift, and yes a scholarship is a gift, perhaps with stings attached, but a gift none the less.

This is also absurd in that in light of the fact that s/he says she expects nothing to be handed to her, and then talks about saving tuition at a Public University. Public Universities are more affordable because they receive tax dollars and while I think they are wonderful you shouldn't be saying "I don't expect anything to be handed to me" while receiving a tax subsidized education.

My hope is that people my age and younger do not listen to this person. Some already claim my generation has an entitlement mentality. This is just a glaring example of not only an entitlement mentality, but a complete and utter lack of realization on the part of a person who has received numerous benefits funded by others in advancing their education.

Good, good, good!

Many fine points made in this post!

Old 10-19-2011, 08:19 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,069,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post

In all fairness, because the government started guaranteeing student loans to the unqualified and poor credit risks, the available money fueled a tremendous spike in the cost of education. I feel that most kids in this predicament obviously suffered from poor math skills and even worse decision making skills but even Ivy league schools didn't cost as much 30 years ago as many run-of-the-mill schools today even adjusted for inflation.

Old 10-19-2011, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,823,758 times
Quote:
I have been saying the exact opposite! I am saying that people should acknowledge freebies when and if they get them and be grateful. The fact is a scholarship is a break any way you cut it. It is not something like employment where everyone involved ideally makes money and is self interested. It saves you from having to pay yourself for an education because someone is generous enough to set them up. Furthermore regardless of whether or not you get a scholarship you should be working your butt off in school.
I agree. Some scholarships require very high grades, some don't. I've found that the majority of these people who talk about how they "worked their way through college" really got a lot of these deals.

I also have a problem with someone tooting their own horn like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies