Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 03:35 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,823,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
I was born and I live in Washington State. I really don't care how much money Costco makes selling booze as long as it is a lagitamate business, -I might even buy some Costco stock if they succeed in their campaign to get the State of Washington out of the liquire business. Merchantising belongs in the private sector, not the government sector.
This is a throwback of the probation era. The State government has no business treating it's citizens like children, and no business being a nanny to it's citizens. I am 100% behind Costco.
It's really hard to disagree with you.
The government can regulate it but why should the government be in the business of selling booze?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 PM

535 posts, read 586,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post

Sadly, Idaho, one of the most "anti-government" states in the nation, has a similar system.

no state is libertarian , some only think they are free b.c they can choose to work at a crappy job or not pay the tv bill

Old 11-04-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
It's really hard to disagree with you.
The government can regulate it but why should the government be in the business of selling booze?

b.c the gov't is in the business of greed, they are the greediest corporation in the world , anything that has value is NEED IN THEIR HANDS

Old 11-08-2011, 10:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,408,465 times
Update: right now the initiative to eliminate state-run liquor stores by Costco is passing overwhelmingly about 60-40. We have gone to an all mail voting system here, so it will take a week or so to know for sure. (ballots only need to be postmarked by Nov 8 to count). But the consensus from local media seems to be that it's a done deal. No more antiquated, relic-of-prohibition, state-run booze shops in WA!
Local News | Voters kick state out of liquor business | Seattle Times Newspaper

Old 11-08-2011, 10:50 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,338,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Yeah, I couldn't seem to come up with a great thread title. But strictly speaking, my title is correct. They had to shell out $22 million to be able to sell booze. That's what I said, and it is true.

I'm open to suggestions for a better title (not sure whether I can edit the title, but I'll try if I get a good suggestion).
If they weren't going to make a profit, they wouldn't spend that much money to campaign.
Why do we have state regulated liquor stores anyway?
Why do I have to go to a special store?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,408,465 times
The election is now a lock and barring a statistical miracle, the state liquor stores are history. Thought I'd post this one last thing. A lot of posters presumed the narrative of self-interested corporation looking for profits--that was wrong. Seattle Times columnist has an excellent column today about it. Ramsey is the lone conservative (libertarian) on the Seattle Times--even the sports columnists are avowed liberals.

Opinion | Initiative 1183: Thar she blows, Captain Sinegal | Seattle Times Newspaper

It turns out that this was personal for Costco founder & CEO Jim Sinegal. He is retiring on Jan 1, 2012, his 76th birthday. According Ramsey's back-of-envelope calculation the ROI on the $22 million was not good, but Sinegal WON. He's been fighting this fight with the state at least since the mid-90's.

Everyone & his brother & sister assumed the self-interested narrative, and everyone was wrong. Excellent column by Ramsey that should remind us what happens when we ASSUME.

Old 11-09-2011, 12:52 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,809,680 times
This is what made Costco so successful. I hope they don't screw up this great company when the leader retires. As has happen with so many other great American Companies.

Old 11-09-2011, 02:01 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,140,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
This is a state issue here in Washington state, but it is highly instructive about how our system of government works.

In WA we still have the antiquated state liquor store system, a relic from the post-prohibition era of 80 years ago. WA-based Costco would like to be able to sell liquor, and has had to spend over $22 million trying to get a law passed just for the opportunity to do business.
Local News | Costco's $22M for liquor initiative sets record | Seattle Times Newspaper

In WA we have the initiative process, whereby anyone can propose a law and get it on the ballot. If voters approve, it becomes law just as if the state legislature had passed it. This is what Costco has done in their quest to sell liqour.

So why do they have to spend $22 million to bring WA into modernity like the rest of the states, with privatized liquor sales? An unholy alliance of interests that benefits from the status quo mounted a 'No' campaign. Opponents are mostly beer & wine sellers that do not want to have to compete with whiskey and vodka, along with the state liquor store employees. So naturally they've enlisted their fellow public unionists, police and firefighters, to portray privatized liquor sales as the potential calamity of the century. Here's an example:

Across Washington Public Safety Officials Oppose I-1183 - YouTube

Local newspaper columnist Danny Westneat did a column on just how absurd the ad war over this initative has become. You've got big beer distributors funding ads that sound like something out of the Anti-Saloon League. And people making 180 degree reversals from what they argued only a year ago, when a previous liquor initiative ran. The previous initiiative failed in part because it would have meant a loss in revenue to the state, so it was rewritten to ensure more revenue for the state. But some of the 'no' ads now say that sending more revenue to the state translates to more waste:

This is a microcosm of what happens when we give government so much power to intrude into our lives. Truth and sound policy go out the window. Arguments are made on the basis of where interests lie, not on the basis of logic. We enter an Alice-in-Wonderland-like world. The decision goes to whomever can write the biggest check, not who has the best ideas.

And who pays for this absurd charade? Why Joe Sixpack gets to pay for both sides. Much of the 'No' money is ultimately tax dollars, by way of the public sector unions. And on the yes side is Costco money, which comes by way of struggling folk trying to save a few bucks by buying in bulk. It's enough to drive a teetotaler like me to drink.
!!!!!NEWS UPDATE!!!! COSTCO WON!!!!. Washington State is now finally free from Probation!!!! -it took a while.

Old 11-09-2011, 04:17 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,823,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinylly View Post
!!!!!NEWS UPDATE!!!! COSTCO WON!!!!. Washington State is now finally free from Probation!!!! -it took a while.
I think it's good news for the tax payers and the state in general.
900 state employees will be let go. It'll generate $80M more annual revenue for the state government.

Old 11-09-2011, 09:02 PM

Cheers!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies