Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 03:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,408,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Another reading challenged poster. The $22 million isn't being paid to some government entity. That money is being spent by Costco to mount a campaign to change the law
Strictly speaking, you're right. The $22 million is not going to a government entity, but is being shelled out because of of government entity. So the basic underlying point made by Cletus, that this is 'not in the nature of the free market' is exactly right. You win the battle but lose the war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 PM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
Quote:
Is it beyond the possibility of hope that some folks might learn to read?

From the OP's pasted story:
Opponents are mostly beer & wine sellers that do not want to have to compete with whiskey and vodka, along with the state liquor store employees.
Again for those that have issues with reading comprehension...the issue is that the government maintains a monopoly on hard liquour stores, with those stores staffed by government employees. What does who funds opposition ads have to do with the fact that the government has a monopoly on those sales? I would say good try at deflection...but it's really a pretty lame attempt.

The issue of a government monopoly does fit in from one standpoint. By keeping the costs high and availability low (due to the limited number of gov stores), current private beer and wine sellers do have less competition. This reduction in competition...only happens because of a government monopoly.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:16 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,609,157 times
local and state shakedown of corporations. they pulled this with lockheed and they pretty much moved outa sunnyvale. EPA boys r nothin but shakedown artists.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM

8,323 posts, read 15,196,989 times
Costco would have to fight that same battle here in VA if they wanted to sell liquor. In Virginia, you can (legally) only buy "hard liquor" from the state-run ABC stores.

In fact, there's 21 states where they would have to.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:20 PM

well put, toyman. Gotta wonder if 'ovcatto' is one of the people writing the 'no on 1183' spinmeister ads.

Old 10-20-2011, 03:32 PM

39,922 posts, read 26,631,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
well put, toyman. Gotta wonder if 'ovcatto' is one of the people writing the 'no on 1183' spinmeister ads.
I wonder what other products the government will try to monopolize? How about only government owned and run gas stations? That's a quick way to get $5.00 a gallon gas. With GM now Government Motors, maybe they'll take over auto dealerships. Federalie French Fries anyone? Just think about all the new government jobs that can be created.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:14 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,859,034 times
Quote:
Is it beyond the possibility of hope that some folks might learn to read?

From the OP's pasted story:
Opponents are mostly beer & wine sellers that do not want to have to compete with whiskey and vodka, along with the state liquor store employees.
I don't understand why beer & wine sellers are concerned. They already compete amongst themselves and in small part the government liquor stores (usually the gov't stores will have a few woefully overpriced six packs and about 10 bottles of wine to choose from). A yes on this bill would not force any beer/wine sellers into the hard liquor game. They could keep on doing what they're doing and pay no mind to hard liquor sales.

Small businesses that center their revenue around just beer and wine will fail if they don't have a large selection because they are competing with chain grocery stores. Allowing hard liquor into grocery stores wouldn't affect that competitive relationship at all.

PS I also find it funny that there are public service employees on commercials for both sides of the issue. It's pretty common to see the opposing commercials nearly back to back in a single commercial break, and once I saw that each one of them had police officers "approving" of their opposing viewpoints. Oh how I hate political commercials . . .

Old 10-20-2011, 04:40 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,510,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post
Costco would have to fight that same battle here in VA if they wanted to sell liquor. In Virginia, you can (legally) only buy "hard liquor" from the state-run ABC stores.

Boy, I am glad I do not live in one of those backward States. I can buy any kind of liquor I want from Costco in Alaska, no restrictions, no limitations. I am not sure what the big deal is all about, Costco has a terrible beer and wine selection to pick from. Some of their hard liquor is good, but not any cheaper than other sources.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rita Mordio View Post

Link? News stories I have seen regarding the debate over this initiative put the number at 8, not 21.

Old 10-20-2011, 04:56 PM

588 posts, read 1,017,025 times
Quote:
the fact that the state has an non-tax revenue source
You must not be referring to the WA state run liquor stores. The liquor sold there is heavily taxed. If you ever bought liquor in another state, one that didn't follow some antiquated laws from another time, you'd know this.

Thank you Costco for doing what common sense cannot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies